Questions about FSFlyingSchool?

Make sure that you hear the reassuring comments by Mr. Smith..

"WHOOAAAAA!!!!.............That flight..... contained..... problems you need to solve...... blah blah blah... check your logbook!"

If you hear perfect flight or nothing whatsoever, then most probably you've done something wrong! LOOOOL :crylaugh_s:

Make sure that you hear the reassuring comments by Mr. Smith..

"WHOOAAAAA!!!!.............That flight..... contained..... problems you need to solve...... blah blah blah... check your logbook!"

If you hear perfect flight or nothing whatsoever, then most probably you've done something wrong! LOOOOL :crylaugh_s:

Quite right. Smitty is impossible to satisfy! :confused2_s:

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting "There's a good wind in front of us, let's taxy with the elevator up" - I had the yoke back as far as it would go, and the spot plane view showed elevator full up, but it still didn't stop the message....??

Ah.... You did well. The remarks here are not meant at criticism... but as advice... So you actually did . :excellenttext_s: A tad annoying that he keeps saying it though, but its to keep you on your toes, AND because the wind, or the direction can change quickly, and then its another story...

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of points. When in the descent and Miss Aviatrix calls out the runway details ("runway length is.... " etc.) I get it twice in succession. Why? Also, when starting enignes at altitude, like in Lukla and Khatmandu, you have to start on less than full mixture in a prop plane, as the engines will flood and die (and they did when I tried it). Surely it should be possible for FSFS to realise this and not prompt for full mixture when you start...

Very valid points Ian. I have asked the devs about the double runway length call before, and not really gotten an answer. I will ask again, with your post as reference.

Ill get back to you ASAP

Another observation: Miss Aviatrix was suggesting I tune NAV1 to the frequency of the next VOR on my flight plan. In fact, NAV1 was already tuned to the correct frequency (and not yet receiving anything as we were too far away), she just didn't seem to pick it up. I would guess she doesn't know until NAV1 actually picks up the signal - is that correct?

well actually this is a bit strange, because she should know the frequency of the next VOR, and if you have the NAV1 tuned correctly, then she should be able to read this...

Once again, its a dev. question. Ill pass it on.

• 3 weeks later...

Another observation on what I regard as odd behaviour... I'm flying the circuit - turned onto the downwind leg and switched to landing mode so I could lower gear, turn on landing lights, start with flaps etc. Even though I'm obviously not approaching the runway, I'm getting the warnings about getting down to the glideslope. Surely it should be obvious that I'm not in the right phase of the approach for that...once I've turned onto base leg then start talking to me about the glideslope... by which time I will have got myself to about the right height anyway.

Another thing I've picked up. I've turned on AI Traffic for my last couple of flights. While on the ground doing my pre-start checks a small aircraft taxied past me. Miss Aviatrix said to watch out for that aircraft, it's rather close. I was stationary - there's nothing I could do about it. Surely, if I am stationary, warnings about other aircraft are pretty irrelevant?

Another observation on what I regard as odd behaviour... I'm flying the circuit - turned onto the downwind leg and switched to landing mode so I could lower gear, turn on landing lights, start with flaps etc. Even though I'm obviously not approaching the runway, I'm getting the warnings about getting down to the glideslope. Surely it should be obvious that I'm not in the right phase of the approach for that...once I've turned onto base leg then start talking to me about the glideslope... by which time I will have got myself to about the right height anyway.

Rather than flying to the airport and flying a pattern, i give myself a 10 mile final.So i plan for 3000ft, 10mile straight in approach, and activate landing mode at 3000ft.

Rather than flying to the airport and flying a pattern, i give myself a 10 mile final.So i plan for 3000ft, 10mile straight in approach, and activate landing mode at 3000ft.

I vary it depending on which drection I'm approaching from and which runway is in use. On some airports I'll turn in and join the pattern, others it will be a straight in, some it will be turn onto a reciprocal heading before reaching the field then do a 180 and come in...sometimes it works better than others... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Another comment - ILS. The DC-3 that I have just been flying does not have anything capable of picking up and using the ILS signals. Which makes any tuning of the radio by Miss A a waste of time. In such a situation it will always be a visual approach and the comments and scoring should reflect that.