GPS Approach...

petermcleland

When I built McLeland Field I spent a considerable time building the Approaches to the runways...I built five approaches:-

ILS R/W 31

GPS R/W 31

ILS R/W13

GPS R/W 13

VOR R/W 31

Runway 13 is the most hazardous to approach due to the proximity of mountainous terrain, but for the GPS approach to this runway I built in a bit of offset from the extended runway centreline to give greater lateral separation from these mountains.

The attached YouTube video shows the use of this approach in a Light Sports Aircraft (LSA)...The Cessna 162 with the Garmin 300 Glass Panel. The video runs for almost 15 minutes and is only suitable for Flight Sim enthusiasts and more especially for those who fly light GA aircraft rather than airliners. I have not listed it publicly as it would bore most people.

However if the subject interests you then here is the Abacus version of the Cessna 162 with Garmin glass panel doing a short three legged cross-country, finishing with a GPS approach onto runway 13 in real weather (raining). Bear in mind that LSA aircraft are really VFR only and they do not have airways navigation facilities...However, it is nice to know that if you get caught out by the weather then this panel will allow you to do an autopilot controlled approach that will get you safely down.

The video is in HD and should be clicked up to the full resolution of 1080 and viewed in Full Screen Mode...This will allow you to see the mouse clicks to load and activate the approach and to control the altitude and rate of descent throughout the approach.

If you have a slowish Broadband which causes buffering pauses, click the Pause icon in the bottom left corner...Now WAIT as the pink band moves from left to right, till it gets about halfway across. Now click that same Pause icon to start it running again and finally click the Full Screen icon at bottom right...It should now run through without further pausing.

Please Note...In spite of what is painted on the aeroplane I am using the callsign N456UI for this flight...Thanks for looking :rolleyes:

Excellent video Peter, McLeland Field sure is a busy aerodrome :)

Thanks Matt...Yes it is a very busy place during weekdays because the 36 F-16s come in or out...It is quieter on Weekends :)

After all that automated flight I though I would like to briefly throw it around a bit to see how it really felt...It felt "Lively!":-

This one only runs for 4 and half minutes...Thanks for looking :beer3_s:

Hi Pete,

I always enjoy your vids and stories, you always make it so very interesting and I feel like I'm there myself. I know you have a personal blog so why have you stopped adding to it ?

Looking forward to reading what comes next. Well done mate. ;)

Cheers, Pierre

Hi Pete,

I always enjoy your vids and stories, you always make it so very interesting and I feel like I'm there myself. I know you have a personal blog so why have you stopped adding to it ?

Looking forward to reading what comes next. Well done mate. ;)

Thanks Pierre,

I have not really added to my Website after my time in 266 Squadron. However, I have uploaded a PowerPoint presentation about my time on 208 Squadron:-

http://tinyurl.com/4bfetl6

The download will take at least 5 minutes and you must have Microsoft's Powerpoint to view it...A free download of Powerpoint Viewer can be obtained here:-

http://tinyurl.com/3ywowm

BTW...It is in colour and runs for 26 minutes if you just let it play, and it comes with some music :D