Andras Field Round The World Challenge

Matt_Smith

Can I just clarify something - we post a screenshot of teh FSFS log for the leg after each leg, and a copy of the whole book after each Phase - does that sound right? Or just the book at the end of each phase. Sorry, probably me being dense...:unsure:

Well seeing as theres 10 plus Ole and myself - thats going to be a lot of data to collate and the end of each phase. SO what I propose (hopefully Ole will agree) we take 5 earch and do the scores for them. But rather than in one huge lump at the end on a weekly basis

Most aircraft will glide to a certain extent. So that will give you enough time to plan where to make a forced landing. Runways are always a good option, though highways roads, fields and even beachs work

Good point actually. During my trip half around the world I found a lot can happen. Some of the aircraft selected by people can show some nice failures or when flying in a piston plane you can experience icing and may not be able to cross that mountain range you need to cross to complete the let. Would it be okay to land on an airport on the way in such a case and continue from there in a second flight?

Another problem may be crashes to desktop or FSX freezing up. I had these a few times on long flights (especially when taking screenshots, which seem to take up a lot of memory). If we have a CTD, should we repeat the leg or skip it (zero points) and proceed to then next?

• Upvote 1

Most aircraft will glide to a certain extent. So that will give you enough time to plan where to make a forced landing. Runways are always a good option, though highways roads, fields and even beachs work

Good point actually. During my trip half around the world I found a lot can happen. Some of the aircraft selected by people can show some nice failures or when flying in a piston plane you can experience icing and may not be able to cross that mountain range you need to cross to complete the let. Would it be okay to land on an airport on the way in such a case and continue from there in a second flight?

Another problem may be crashes to desktop or FSX freezing up. I had these a few times on long flights (especially when taking screenshots, which seem to take up a lot of memory). If we have a CTD, should we repeat the leg or skip it (zero points) and proceed to then next?

OK. Here is the deal.

In the latest version of FSFlyingSchool (2011) you will always get a positive score - IF YOU DON´T CRASH. Only crashes will get you zeros. So even if you are forced to land on a road, in the rough or wherever, you will still get a positive score. Not a high score, but still better than a depressing zero.

If you are forced to make an emergency landing, then it´s OK to have your aircraft "transported" to the nearest airport, and complete your leg from there, Your scores for both parts will then be used..

IF you crash to desktop, FSFlyingSchool will not record the flight, and so you can simply refly. This is quite acceptable, as a CTD is not a piloting error. But again - DO NOT shut off your FSX, simply because you feel your flight so far, has been not-so-good. Do not cheat, and use creative ways to improve your scores.

Yes there are prized to be won, but we are 12 people here, and the main priority should to have fun - so be fair to your competitors.

Something just occurred to me - weight. I am assuming that, for planning the various legs in this challenge, we are not carrying passengers. Are we carrying (virtual) co-pilots?Should I plan for 2 bodies on the flight deck (which would be more realistic) or just me (not realistic)? Normally, I would plan for a realistic crew and a few bags for them.

In the aircraft selection can I switch out the TBM-700 for the King Air 350? The TBM's not worth the trouble it's given me so far.

According to the rules, you can switch one, and only one, aircraft during the RTWC, so yes, you can change the TBM-700 for the King Air. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought the Just Flight DC3 as I figured that I would like something a little more realistic than the default version to fly around the world in.

So here's the thing, are we allowed to count the C47 as a DC3? There is a lovely "Camel Caravan to Berlin" repaint that would be perfect for the flight into Tegel but I don't dare use it in case I am disqualified.

post-11334-0-95133700-1303724678_thumb.j

post-11334-0-64271300-1303724680_thumb.j

post-11334-0-17158800-1303724682_thumb.j

Just a note to say I will be grounded for a week or so - going on holiday to Cyprus and will have no FS access from there. Fortunately, I've managed to get the first 8 legs done so I'm half way there. Hopefully the rest will not be too much of a rush to complete before the deadline.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question in regard to the aircraft list: Since I had to reinstall Windows (and totally wipe the disk first) after a boot loader issue with Ubuntu and two of the aircraft I was using were freeware (Lanciar and Citation,) if I can't procure the aircraft again what would be my options? (That don't involve dropping out.)

UPDATE: Aircraft procured.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's one week till the end of Phase 1, and I still have 7 legs to do... what do you think the chances are that i can complete it...?

7 flights 6 days easy ;)

Hi Matt,

just a small question:

There will be a prize for the winner of each phase. So the pilot with the highest overall score per segment. There will also be a prize for the pilot with the highest landing score in each phase. By my reconing that's 10 prizes by the end of phase 5!

.. highest overall score achieved in one leg OR highest average score of all legs?

:wacko:

Hi Matt,

just a small question:

.. highest overall score achieved in one leg OR highest average score of all legs?

:wacko:

I'll average everyones scores for the phase then the highest wins :D Say the phase was 3 legs I score 100 150 and 50. My score for that would be 100.

If thatwas the highest scopre id win woo hoo.

That will happen for each phase. Then the over all winner will be decided by adding the average scores for all phases together.

A repeat post in case it isn't seen else where.

please please please can I have until 12.00pm GMT tomorrow to complete these flights. I have been dogged with lack of internet and various work related issues that have really eaten up my free time, and my PC just crashed on finals!. But I only have 2 flights to finish

..grovel grovel

A repeat post in case it isn't seen else where.

please please please can I have until 12.00pm GMT tomorrow to complete these flights. I have been dogged with lack of internet and various work related issues that have really eaten up my free time, and my PC just crashed on finals!. But I only have 2 flights to finish

..grovel grovel

Check where your orginal post is ;)