Twin Otter supplementary files

Rusty flyer

Hi folks,

I just downloaded the nifty DHC-6 Twin Otter, and it is an awesome model! I noticed that, in the Aerosoft support/updates section, there are available for this aircraft a "Supplementary Sound Controls" file, and a "Texture Fix for v1.10 and above" file.

I have the following two questions in connection with these supplementary files-

The version that I downloaded appears to be v1.20, therefore:

1) Is installation of the Supp. Sound Controls file still recommended for v1.20? and

2) Does the Texture Fix file need to be implemented for v1.20?

Thanks much, Rusty

Hi Rusty

Yes the Supplementary Sound Controls ( i suppose you are refering to Aerosoft Sound Control - ASC) are very recommended no matter what version you have. This package just add nice sounds to the working buttons of the cockpit and to the flaps.

About the texture fix i am not too sure, but i suppose that if it is a higher version will have it include.

Best regards

Thanks very much for your advice!!

The reason that I had been confused is that the ReadMe file that accompanied the Otter's installation makes the following comment in reference to v1.20:

"1.20 Aerosoft Sound control added"

The description accompanying the available supplementary sound file in the updates support section refers to it as follows:

"Aerosoft Sound Controls for DHC-6 Twin Otter"

Thus, because the terms and wording are similar, I was confused as to whether the available supplementary sound controls had indeed been added to those releases, including v1.20, that came after the file was made available for supplementary download.

If the supplementary sound controls defined by the supplementary file "Aerosoft Sound Controls for DHC-6 Twin Otter" were not added, then to what sound controls does the v1.20 ReadMe comment "1.20 Aerosoft Sound control added" refer?

With regard to the available Texture Fix supplementary file, the ReadMe file that Dag includes with this extra file indicates the following:

"Due to some batch conversion of the texture files for the Aerosoft Twin Otter for FSX, the aircraft's textures have been converted to DXT3 format from the original 32 bit. This made the textures I painted/submitted look real bad. So.... here's my 3 paint jobs all back to the original except that I have made them all DXT5 as recommended by ACES/Microsoft for FSX."

However, the v1.20 ReadMe file states the following in connection with the v1.11 release:

"1.11 update: all textures converted to DX3 (we see no degration and loading is a lot faster)"

The comment that led to my confusion was not the one about having converted the textures to DX3- because that is consistent with Dag's concerns. The comment in the v1.20 ReadMe that confused me was the reference to not seeing any degredation for the v1.11 release. Thus, it had almost seemed to me that Dag's concerns with the v1.10 DX3 texture conversion might have been addressed after his comment, after v1.10, and for the v1.11 release and later ("we see no degration and loading is a lot faster").

That being said, any additional thoughts would be of great help!

Thanks a bunch...again! Rusty

Hello Rusty Flyer,

If you downloaded the latest version and the ASC then you should be fine.

Hi Shaun,

Thank very much! The version that I downloaded and that the software installed is v1.20; however, I purchased it and downloaded it from another retailer as it was on sale at the time. No other files accompanied the download other than the install executable and the various language version licenses all contained within the ZIP downlioad.

I came across the [supplementary] ACS file ("Aerosoft Sound Controls for DHC-6 Twin Otter") in Aerosoft's updates section after I registered the product using the serial number key that came with my purchase. Is this supplementary file, then, one that you would recommend installing- even for v1.20?

Sorry for the followup, but thanks very much again, Rusty

Hello Rusty Flyer,

Oh yes...any thoughts regarding the addtional supplementary Texture Fix file which is also available for download in the updates section- as it relates to v1.20?

Thanks very much, Rusty

Hello Rusty Flyer,

Hi Shaun,

I hope that I haven't worn out my welcome mat by my confusion with your reply, and I apologize for not being the sharpest knife in the drawer but, in a nutshell:

-For v1.20: Is it recommended to also install the available Aerosoft Sound Controls supplementary file download- Y/N?

-For v1.20: Is it recommended to also install the Texture Fix supplementary file download- Y/N?

These two quick answers really would resolve all my confusion entirely.

Thanks much, Rusty

Hello Rusty,

Sorry for the late reply, the Twin Otter is at Version 1.20 so if you have that version installed you should be fine. If you added the sound patch and textures then you should be absolutely good to go.

Hi, new to the forums, Can I ask where is this V1.20 of the twotter? on my products page and support page it only shows 1.11 as being the latest.

Fount it, for some reason it is labled on the update site as DHC-6 Twin Otter X (1.11) (AS_TWINOTTERX.zip)

Thx Pete

Hi, new to the forums, Can I ask where is this V1.20 of the twotter? on my products page and support page it only shows 1.11 as being the latest.

Fount it, for some reason it is labled on the update site as DHC-6 Twin Otter X (1.11) (AS_TWINOTTERX.zip)

Thx Pete

Hello All

I'm a new member too :)

I'm confused about this Twin Otter latest version. I bought this plane a few weeks ago and my files tell me that i have version 1.11. This was a download purchase by the way from an Aussie store. Now, i have seen on the support page the ASC sound file update and the Texture update. Both of which i have updated too. I still seem to have version 1.11 and can see no mention of this version 1.20.

Do i have to download the whole file mentioned in the above post to update to V1.20 then?

Thanks for any advice on this

Great plane by the way. Love using it.

Kind Regards

Si

Hello Si,

The full version download installer should be named, DHC-6TwinOtterX_V120.exe , can you check at the store you purchased it from as they should now be using this installer.

Thanks for the reply Shaun

I will look into it and see what i can find out.

Regards

Si

I see aerosoft are stating that their smart batch convert to DXT3 made them see no difference. Well... they must be blind. They also state that the converted DXT3 files load a lot faster and yes, that is true, compared to the original 32 bit textures. My texture fix, however are to DXT5 format and they should be installed, by all means. Look at the bump mapping of the cleverly converted files and you'll soon see what I mean. It's all wrinkles. They may do whatever they want to other people's work but I won't let the smarties screw up mine :-)

Check out the screenie below, that is "cleverly converted" DXT3 bump mapping on the wing there. Not nice.

post-36-0-28760900-1302529534_thumb.jpg

Hello Folks,

Sorry about the issue with the Twin Otter textures which Dag kindly brought to light, these will now be reconverted into the correct format and we will update you as to how and when you can get them as soon as they are ready.

Hello Si,

The full version download installer should be named, DHC-6TwinOtterX_V120.exe , can you check at the store you purchased it from as they should now be using this installer.

Hi Shaun

I managed to get in touch with my reseller and they updated there server to carry your latest version 1.20. I've now downloaded it and have the up to date version.

My switches and wipers have sounds so do i need the ASC still. I would think not now.?

Just waiting to see about these texture updates then.

Regards

Si