Deleting unwanted types

Nyxx

Hi,

Love the Catalina but i only fly the 5A CIV type

Could I ask for a safe way to delete the other types as I want to save the space on my small SSD, if i can delete the other types it looks like I would save 1gb of space.

Kind regards

David

David, you would need to remove the entries from all the types of Cat you dont fly in the aircraft.cfg they will be labelled [fltsim.xx]

Once they are removed from there you are free to delete the folders for the (texture.xyz)

David, you would need to remove the entries from all the types of Cat you dont fly in the aircraft.cfg they will be labelled [fltsim.xx]

Once they are removed from there you are free to delete the folders for the (texture.xyz)

If you screw up your cat and cant fly it after doing the above dont worry, you can just reinstall it to fix any errors ;)

Thanks Matt but each file has its own aircraft cfg so if i deleted the file e.g Mil the aircraft cfg would be deleted as well. Why edit the cfg to delete it after wards

If you are going to delete an entire aircraft, you do not need to delete the sections and textures first. just make sure one of the other aircraft does not refer to that aircraft in any of its config files. If you want to delete a paint within an aircraft model delete the section then the texture referenced by the section. Very often, to save space one aircraft will reference parts from other aircraft that are common so be diligent when reviewing the stuff you are deleting or you may end up with holes in a panel or invisible aircraft .ohmy.gif

Dave

Thanks for your reply Dave but I think I need to wait for someone from Aerosoft to tell me what is safe and what is not.

Just leaving what I need to fly only the 5V Civ.

Thanks for your reply Dave but I think I need to wait for someone from Aerosoft to tell me what is safe and what is not.

Sorry this is not a support issue and Aerosoft cannot be held responsible for any changes a user might make to the product.

The advice above is valid though.

Then the obvious thing to do is trial and error:

Simply remove the aircraft folders for the ones you do NOT fly, storing them away from the main FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes folder.

Re-load the sim and check your choice loads and flies OK. If you bugger it up, put the original folders back and try something else.

It is disingenuous to ask for advice in an open forum then disrespect it. That way, you are truly going to be on your own...

OK Shaun,

I ask Orbx about the Lancair and there CEO helped and I saved 1.1GB, L-39 Lotus Sim also helped within an hour and told me what files I needed to keep.

But as the Catalina is working fine(so was the others) I see your point its not a "support issue" .

Just hoped you could of helped, but never mind. NP.

@Snave,

"It is It is disingenuous to ask for advice in an open forum then disrespect it. That way, you are truly going to be on your own.."

"disingenuous" , not straightforward; not candid or frank; insincere.

At no point does that apply, also nor does "advice in an open forum then disrespect it." I simply wanted to hear from Aerosoft themselves as to what files should be saved and the ones that are safe to delete. Simple as that.

As for the

"Then the obvious thing to do is trial and error:

Simply remove the aircraft folders for the ones you do NOT fly, storing them away from the main FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes folder.

Re-load the sim and check your choice loads and flies OK. If you bugger it up, put the original folders back and try something else."

Yes I agree this will be the best option to go for.

But to every reply and to the first part of yours Snave.

Thank you all for your time in replying and that IS like before sincere.

None are `safe` to delete.

Not until you understand the file formats and configuration of the product itself.

Each of the previous replies gave you pertinent and correct advice, not least of which was Shauns that you cannot really expect Aerosoft to tell you how to bugger something up!

If you want to go down this route you need to understand the following

1: To reduce overall file sizes many elements are shared between aircraft. Remove the wrong shared file or folder, your Catalina is buggered

2: Having removed the UNshared files and folders, you also need to remove the salient lines in the aircraft .cfg or else you get an error message, and your Catalina installation is buggered.

3: Rather than delete ANYTHING, with your level of knowledge you should make sure that you don't delete anything until you are certain that you haven't buggered anything up.

None of the above buggery need be permanent. but self-inflicted buggeration garners scant sympathy from the assembled throng, particularly when Orbx and Lotus advice should de directly translatable in many instances to the Catalina. But not all... hence the potential for buggeration.

4: Once you have the knowledge (and you won't garner it from Aerosoft as why should they tell you how to mess with the product?) we can then let you have other tricks and tips to save space on the SSD.

But first you need to listen to those that know what they are talking about.

• 10 months later...

The problem here is that both panels and the special ASC sounds are "aliased" between models.

The ones You safely can delete are:

PBY-5_Mil

PBY-5A_Civ (but thats the one You like to keep)

PBY-5A_Mission

PBY-6A_Civ

PBY-6A_Dan

PBY-6A_Mil

You should NOT delete the PBY-5A_Mil version or You will get alot of errors !!

But as Shaun told - this is at Your own risc and if You experience problems we cannot support You !!

It´s very much like when You open up Your new TV-set before the warranty has timed out - no warranty can be granted in such cases - nor here.

Finn

11 months and no intervening comments?

Or confirmation that he got what he wanted?

Or, of course. the courtesy of letting others know just how he got it right...

...one guesses it was, most likely. buggered... :boohoo_s: