• Deputy Sheriffs

Yes I know, there are many questions about what graphiccard for FSX. But I found no answer on how important is the size of the memory. Is there an advantage running a card with 1 GB versus 512 MB? And if so, why?

Rest of the system: win7 64bit, 8GB RAM Intel Quadcore with 3 GHz and a lot of (frame)challenging addons.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks Matt, BUT

1. WHY?

2. GTX 460 for 150 Euro versus GTX 580 450 Euro, is 3x the price of a 460 and runs everything 3x better? ;)

Why? Because the 580 is an awesome and expensive card lol.

Seriously though: not having owned a 460 I couldnt say it was worth the difference in price. I'd possibly consider the 470 over the 460 as its a bit faster.

I recently posted a similar question in a different section and Shaun (site admin) recommended "the more memory, the better".

I just switched from a ATI Raedeon 4350 (512MB) to EVGA GT240 (1GB) and there is a very noticeable performance difference between the two cards. The memory increase has smoothed out the flow of the graphics. From what I have read online, video memory allows the card to store more information in RAM for animation. GPU is also important for video performance as well.

Cheers,

Toby

REFERENCES:

http://www.computermemoryupgrade.net/why-more-ram-is-better.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100209161550AASt0hx

• 9 months later...

Only games like Battlefield and COD require the latest and best graphic cards. FSX is quite old now and from reading what Mathijs said in his top post in hardware and OS, the 4650 ATI is the best one to get.

From my analysis almost any 1GB graphics card will do. (save your money)

Daniel

• 1 month later...