Weekly challenge 09 March

Matt_Smith

This weeks challenge should take you out of your comfort zone a bit! I feel some much needed winter sun is order of the day here B)

Today we start our flight at LGSR - Santorini.

Depart LGSR and fly the 112 radial to the MIL VOR until over head the station.

Now fly 045 deg true for 57 nm, then fly the 276 radial of the MKN VOR for a further 50 nm.

Now fly a track of 166 deg mag for 58 nm and then fly 081 deg mag until you reach Leros.

Now fly 209 deg true for 41 nm, then fly a heading of 143 deg mag for 64 nm's and land at the airport.

Note: To calulate your magnetic heading form a true heading you need to know the magnetic variation where your flying. For the sake of this exercise the magnetic variation is 3 degrees East. Now you need to calculate your magnetic headings for the few legs that are in degrees true. Easy peasey lemon squeezie :P

Approx duration of flight 2.5 hours based on a 160 kts cruise. That would be all, dont forget your passports and sun cream :lol:

This weeks challenge should take you out of your comfort zone a bit! I feel some much needed winter sun is order of the day here B)

Today we start our flight at LGSR - Santorini.

Depart LGSR and fly the 112 radial to the MIL VOR until over head the station.

Now fly 045 deg true for 57 nm, then fly the 276 radial of the MKN VOR for a further 50 nm.

Now fly a track of 166 deg mag for 58 nm and then fly 081 deg mag until you reach Leros.

Now fly 209 deg true for 41 nm, then fly a heading of 143 deg mag for 64 nm's and land at the airport.

Note: To calulate your magnetic heading form a true heading you need to know the magnetic variation where your flying. For the sake of this exercise the magnetic variation is 3 degrees East. Now you need to calculate your magnetic headings for the few legs that are in degrees true. Easy peasey lemon squeezie :P

Approx duration of flight 2.5 hours based on a 160 kts cruise. That would be all, dont forget your passports and sun cream :lol:

Looks frigging easy Matt - but Im sure its not. laugh.gif

:blink: Want me to make some ammendments? :lol:

It should in theory be quite hard, quite a lot of sea with little islands that all look the same from 6000'

Plus you need to know wheather or not your adding or subtracting the variation to give a magnetic heading. Unless of course you have a really clever compass that shows true headdings. If you have I really want one!

This could well be a flight for the Seahawk/Jayhawk :D Flick of a switch from True/Mag :D

He he. James my good buddy. I have the -Hawk package also. Ill have to read up on that, since I didnt know about that feature. Looks like we might be two helicopter pilots on this challenge. Be good to get some real hours in the Seahawk. Great idea.

And Matt. No no please don´t amend the challenge. Ill keep my big mouth shut, don´t worry! wacko.gif