Alternating Flashing Landing Lights

Curtis Jarrett

I noticed the flashing lights bit in Canada. I thought it was alternate landing lights flashing, looks like I was rite :)

It's a bit of an attention getter and makes the aircraft stand out well, you'd certainly notice it if you were approaching the airport in a bug smasher.

If anybody knows of an aircraft that consistently has flashing sequences as they should I like to know as it is something that has been bugging me for a LONG time.

There was an aircraft back in Flight Unlimited III that had the alternating lights, it was a private jet type aircraft but can'tt remember it's name. Gosh remember back to FU;III... Was a major advance at the time...

If anybody knows of an aircraft that consistently has flashing sequences as they should I like to know as it is something that has been bugging me for a LONG time.

The Eaglesoft Citation II v1.5 does have alternating/flashing landing lights. It's the only one I know of.

From the feature list:

Exclusive: Precise Flight, Inc. Automatic Pulselite System [Wig-Wag Ldg, Recog, Taxi lights]

and it can be operated from the VC.

To me flashing landing lights are being seen more on the private aircraft (Gulfstreams, Falcons, some Citations) and i have only seen Southwest with them in the commercial sector.

The main issue i have with them is that they kind of make it hard in the event of radio failure. If a pilot then joins the aerodrome circuit, then its suppose to await light gun signals. The response to these signals is to rock your wings, and also at night to flash your landing lights. I know that it also goes onto say that if no landing lights then flashing nav lights are suppose to be used, but to me, making flashing landing lights alternate is to me (as a controller) a bad thing for Tower Controllers. Has the aircraft responded to the light gun signal or is this just these new alternating lights?

It actually makes the planes easier to spot when they have these alternating flashing lights, but my first thought when i saw them is that the plane was in distress!(As per ICAO Annex 2) Thats when my boss/trainer said its a new feature and dont worry about it as its a new feature for aircraft.