For the attention of Joachim Schweigler

Guest Dag

Hello,

As one of the repainters here for the Huey, I have been struggeling with finding various bits and pieces on the airframe when doing repaints. I am a great fan of wireframe maps showing the part layout of textures on a model, as a separate layer in a psd file. I am aware of the "ebene" layer in the present repaint kit for the Huey but this layer lacks many things. By this I mean antennas and such things, eye type attachment points for gun mounts on the sides of the fuselage etc.

On behalf of the repainters here I would like to ask for complete wireframe maps of all parts for the psd files in the present repaint kit. This would save much time and research and would make the repaint kit even better. You can post the maps as jpg attachments here, no need to redo the repaint kits. Black background with white wireframe merged would be nice and a low compression 1024x1024 pixel jpg would be excellent.

Please consider.

Thanks

I also agree, I had a heck of time finding various detail parts, but with a little help from others who have also struggled with this I did get most of things the way I needed. I also wouldn't mind seeing a few things remapped like:

1. the vents on the rear cowlings, it would be nice if there was one for each vent at least on one side and mirrored to the other side.

2. the horizontal stab, change mapping so the end cap is not mappeded spanwise across the stab, I tried doing the stab with a chordwise red and yellow strip and a thin black pin stripe in the middle, but couldn't do because this ended up being a vertical stripe on the end.

3. finally the intake screen on front cowling is mapped to part of the rear side intake screen. this limits any paint placement in this area as it might show up the front screen as it did in my SAR Huey.

These few changes would allow for freedom when painting this beautiful machine.

Peter

Let's not take away the focus here, remapping is tedious and would involve issuing an extra texture map, most likely. I asked for a simple wireframe guide for all parts. I know the author finished work on this helo a long time ago. Also, shortcomings to the repaint kit have been pointed out elsewhere, without much response. I for one just hope for the wireframes.

I would not mind what you suggest Peter but let's not ask for too much :rolleyes:

Thanks

Sorry Dag,

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I do agree a wire frame layer showing all the parts would be nice. Might I also suggest a simple layer with labels to identify what some of the not so obvious parts are; I know after finally figuring out where some of the parts were I would have never guessed by the shape of the texture in the paintkit.

Hi Dag (and others)

to answer directly here without the go around Shaun, I must tell you, that I will not deliver the desired wireframes for the parts. I am sorry.

The reason is simple:

I need time for that. Time I don't have. Please try to follow the work steps to be done for this:

- Choose the part

- Go into modify tab,

- choose unwrap.

- render wireframe

- Save this wireframe.

- Go to where you saved it.

- drag it into your map.

- Invert colors and remove white.

- Chance visibillity

- go back to max and chose the next part.

And this for all the small parts on the huey? Sorry, no. Somply too much time.

I must also say, that some parts are mapped somewhere inside other parts as you have seen. This was made to save space, or simply, because I was too lazy when I made it. Remember when I started. I must say, I learned a lot since then. I don't like the mapping either.

But another thing: The add on was primary made to give you a nice looking chopper to fly, and not to paint. Sure, the repaint kit is nice to have but no essencial part of an add on. And as you can see there are MANY VERY NICE repaints out there.

But in the end, I understand why you want the positions of the parts, and as a tip:

Load down this: checker

With this checker map you can aproximately see the position of the parts in the map.

Bests Joachim

Fully undestood Joachim, I somehow knew this was the reply, no hard feelings.

I get myself addons more for the joy of painting :-)

Will check out "checker" :-)

Thanks

PS: I know there are many nice repaints out there, I have seen them in the downloads-section here. That will not prevent me from repainting this chopper, however, that you can bet on.

PSII: The repaint kit becomes an essential part of a product, the moment it is announced, that is my opimion.