Progress report

Max Roodveldt

Hi,

here's a little progress report - so far I've got:

• updated Grob Astir CS flying (still needing some work in the animation dep.)
  • updated CAI-set - with up to 10 tasks.
  • all new gauge set to test fly the polars from the 'virtual' planes.
  • a viewer to study those polars.
  • a waypoints editor - to create the gps-nav.dat file from original CAI formatted *.dat files and to add up to 10 tasks.
  • updated version of AirWrench - it now includes the ballast tanks as used by the default DG-808.

and it's all working on the win7 platform.

The way things are progressing it might take a month (or a little more) to take the most obvious bugs out.

I'm still thinking about doing a new recorder - with a standard IGC format output - so it can be read by the usual (commercial) viewers..

If you might have some wishes regarding all of this, now is the time...

Regards,

Max.

Great to hear, Max! You probably wont get any wishes from me, cause I'm still a bit short on knowledge when it comes to how much functionality these gauges actually have. I basically just fly the aircraft, and see where it can possibly get me. One day I reckon I'll learn how to really use the gauges to my advantage though, but until then, I'm happy the way they are.

Scott

That's fabulous news, Max! More than we were expecting!

But since you asked, I would like to be able to assign keyboard presses to the instrument buttons. Don't know if that's possible, but would be nice feature to have, instead of using mouse in the 3d cockpit.

But since you asked, I would like to be able to assign keyboard presses to the instrument buttons. Don't know if that's possible, but would be nice feature to have, instead of using mouse in the 3d cockpit.

Thanks, that's a very good idea - I'll look into it.

Max.

I'm still thinking about doing a new recorder - with a standard IGC format output - so it can be read by the usual (commercial) viewers..

You might find this IGC file format info useful, or refer to the IGC file format Appendix A in this PDF

It might be worth looking at perceived shortcomings of sim_logger to see what could be better in a new logger, although just the CAISET logger migration to IGC would be good for users. To me it seems mainly the differences might stem from the possible use of the gauge UI to interact with the logger, versus sim_logger's use of the FSX add-on menu. Sim_logger's use of the FSX flightplan for the task might form a reasonable fallback for a CAISET logger if a flightplan exists.

FYI here's the header sim_logger produces which illustrates most of what's going on in that:

AXXX sim_logger v2.27

HFDTE060610

HFFXA035

HFPLTPILOTINCHARGE: Jeff Hodgkinson

HFCM2CREW2: not recorded

HFGTYGLIDERTYPE:SOAR DG808S

HFGIDGLIDERID:H07

HFDTM100GPSDATUM: WGS-1984

HFRFWFIRMWAREVERSION: 2.27

HFRHWHARDWAREVERSION: 2009

HFFTYFRTYPE: sim_logger by Ian Forster-Lewis

HFGPSGPS:Microsoft Flight Simulator

HFPRSPRESSALTSENSOR: Microsoft Flight Simulator

HFCIDCOMPETITIONID:H07

HFCCLCOMPETITIONCLASS: DG

I023638FXA3941ENL

C140210173005000000000102LOWZ to LOWZ

C4717554N01247703EZell Am See

C4717554N01247703ELOWZ

C4714092N01152808EWP1

C4721360N01312137EWP2

C4717477N01247209ELOWZ

C4717554N01247703ESamedan

L FSX user PC time        	2010-02-14_1730

L FSX FLT checksum        	1D7PUA (LOWZ\Mission.FLT)

L FSX WX checksum 			98A5M7 (LOWZ\Mission.WX)

L FSX CMX checksum        	IGKTF0 (LOWZ\Mission.CMX)

L FSX CumulusX.exe checksum   I246OK

L FSX mission checksum    	000000 (not found)

L FSX aircraft.cfg checksum   2B090C (DG808S_SOAR\aircraft.cfg)

L FSX AIR checksum        	7QDJ3T (DG808S_SOAR\virtualsoaring.AIR)

L FSX CumulusX status:    	LOCKED OK

L FSX WX status:          	LOCKED OK

L FSX ThermalDescriptions.xml REMOVED OK

L FSX GENERAL CHECKSUM        	AV722O  <---- CHECK THIS FIRST

B0822274715802N01251707EA0169801698027000

B0822294715799N01251638EA0169601696027000

B0822334715790N01251518EA0171401714027000

GKWBN4B

I've published the sim_logger C++ source code, and you might find the support page informative here including the link to the source, although with this version 2.xx a large chunk of the source is now involved with replaying AI aircraft along the tracks of previously saved IGC files using the simconnect API. You might be mostly interested in the "igc_write_file(..)" procedure.

Good luck,

Ian

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

the updated CAI set is working, the polar gauges are working, the waypoints editor is running, the polar viewer too...

All that's left to do is writing some user's guides - and that's the worst part by far... :lol:

Cheers,

Max.

• 2 months later...

Fanatastic news that your Website is back up. Some terrific stufff in there

Have read some of your manuals and the URL links are missing when the PDF's were created.

Once you have done your polar plot and used the viewer. How do you use this polar information with the glider.

Can this information be used to be read in by the glider in FSX?

Once you have done your polar plot and used the viewer. How do you use this polar information with the glider.

Can this information be used to be read in by the glider in FSX?

Only for CAISet LNAV gauge. If you see the button in the Polar Viewer "to L-NAV", when you press that, it writes the polar to the fsx-lnav-polar.dat file.

Only for CAISet LNAV gauge. If you see the button in the Polar Viewer "to L-NAV", when you press that, it writes the polar to the fsx-lnav-polar.dat file.

Thanks Balau. :rolleyes: