FunFly/Contest - "QualGP'10Switzerland"

sf4JC

qualgp10switzerland3bsm.gif

There will be 2 opportunities to race (Saturday the 26th & Sunday the 27th). Races start at 16:20 local time.

It will be a race to the finish. More details will come in a day or two.

Scott

-------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE - 02/25/11 @ about 9:05pm US Mountain time

FSHost server address: sf4jc.hopto.org port 23460 inside FS2004 / FSX-FSHostClient

- - server name: SOAR! - FS2004/FSX Gliders (4)

- - session:"SOAR!- QualGP'10 Switzerland"

TeamSpeak3: sf4jc.hopto.org:9989

- - server name: 3n1 Racing (SOAR! - 4)

- Open Flying all weekend except for races - about 20-24 slots available at a time

- 2 scheduled races...

February 26th @ 16:20 local Samedan time

February 27th @ 16:20 local Samedan time

- - for FSX users, put August 28, 2010 for the date and then go HERE for correct Hr:Min:Sec.

- Use the GPS-NAV.dat file located in THIS download, you don't have to keep the rest if you don't want to.

- Aircraft that should be flown in either race will be...

Wolfgang's Discus 2b or

Wolfgang's LS8-18

- - You may use any other aircraft, but there will be a penalty added to your finish time

- Height at starting cylinder is to be no higher than 3000m (9843ft).

- There will be no official call to start the race, so make sure you cross the starting cylinder on or after 16:20.

Hope this is all, and Happy SOARing to you!

Scott

...Races start at 16:20 local time...

What does "local" mean in this context, Scott? Is it when the task will be hosted, i.e. MST?

I'm planning to fly this, and will try to get my brother, and my friend DC to be there also. Will let you know which day we can participate.

Sorry to come back to this so late, real life is really getting in the way. The time is local time in Samedan, Switzerland. And that is the race starting time, so be in the air before that time. I never found the starting hieght, so I'll just make it at 3000m (9843ft). I'm wondering if I should make Sunday's race an unlimited competition, so a person can fly what they're comfortable with, and then use a handicap scoring system to score everyone later on after the competition. Seems to me I've downloaded one of those charts a while back, but I will have to check. I'll just need the IGC files for varification. I can at least check the data from FSHost and the IGC and even another place to see if they are in line with each other so a person cannot give me a file that was from another time to score with. I haven't even gotten around to how weather can change the outcome. I had been wanting to change wind direction and speed to see if it could give a slightly different approach to how a person races the course.

Scott

I wont be able to participate in Sundays event, but may be around after the event after it gets dark there to see how it went. Maybe I'll take the best overall time from both events to crown an overall winner, I don't know. I'll keep the weather the same for both events that way, but may switch up the weather for the off time during the weekend so as to keep the races more interesting.

Scott

...The time is local time in Samedan, Switzerland. And that is the race starting time, so be in the air before that time...

I guess that would be 10:20 AM my time, EST. Is it regatta start, or can we start when we are ready?

As an FSX user, will we have to invoke the Soaring Clock, or will loading the saved flight be enough? (I guess I will find out when I try it)

I guess that would be 10:20 AM my time, EST. Is it regatta start, or can we start when we are ready?

As an FSX user, will we have to invoke the Soaring Clock, or will loading the saved flight be enough? (I guess I will find out when I try it)

Yes, Race Starts at 16:20, and the first one that crosses the finish will be declaired the unofficial winner assuming every turnpoint was hit. FSX users will have to change FSX time AND the date since FSHost doen't give you the right data. Goto http://www.timeandda...ity.html?n=2074 for correct hours and minutes, then change the date to August 28, 2010.

Scott

Sorry about that Bulau, I didn't get to this part of your message the other day. I believe you can probably load the saved flight (if it still has you there on August 28, 2010 ) so you are somewhere in the area, then change the time accordingly. Maybe make sure FSX doesn't load the IGC files that are stored in that corresponding folder. To make it simple I guess, you could load that flight, then save it under a different name, then load that flight so the IGC files don't exist. Second thought, maybe a person would want to have those IGC files in place just in case there are only a few entries into the contest. I never gave that a whole though, hopefully that wouldn't cause havok with the server.

I found out earlier today that I'm going to miss the beginning of Saturdays race, but may just sneak in later on in the race to take some screenshots. I've lost my voice also, so talking with everyone will be a little cumbersome.

Scott

No problem! I had intended to connect today (Saturday) and at least chat with you on Teamspeak about multiplayer stuff, but my wife decided we were going skiing.

Tomorrow, Sunday, I and my friend DC are planning to connect, assuming there will be some other pilots there. There is a scheduled power outage here from 0600-1000 EST (1200-1600 Samedan time), which leaves me only 20 minutes before race start, but hopefully power will be restored earlier than that.

I think you said you would not be able to make the Sunday one? Is that still the case?

Power was not restored here until 10:25 (16:25 Samedan time) so no contest for us. I just checked the server with FSHostClient, and there is nobody else on there. Were there any pilots on Saturday?

Were there any pilots on Saturday?

None that flew in the contest. I will have to check if anyone flew during any other time. I'm still sick and without a voice, so I stayed here this morning. You all are still welcome to fly if you want to, but it gets dark there around 6:30 or 7:00 if I remember right. If you all race each other, I could still score you. Just give me the time of the start, and I can get it from there as long as I get your IGC's. Right now I'm still trying to plan ahead to get some FunFly/Contests scheduled each month that correlates with real life competitions, but research is bad on some of them, like trying to find old IGC files and what turnpoints they used that day.

Scott

• 1 month later...

How did you set up the airborne start for this task? Do you just skew to where you want to be, and save it as a flight?

We found with FSX, when flying this task through FSHost, we got the airborne start OK (since using FSHost is basically a Free Flight).

But when I hosted the task with FSX Multiplayer, we got started on the runway at Samedan.

How did you set up the airborne start for this task? Do you just skew to where you want to be, and save it as a flight?

Basically yes, flew or slewed to that spot.

We found with FSX, when flying this task through FSHost, we got the airborne start OK (since using FSHost is basically a Free Flight).

But when I hosted the task with FSX Multiplayer, we got started on the runway at Samedan.

Not sure why that happens, but it wasn't meant for the FSX Multiplayer function. I'm not sure at the moment how to even go about searching for a solution to this as well, but maybe the solution is out there.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

When I host multiplayer, I get presented with the Session Type options of either a Free Flight (which I've been using), or a Mission. So I'm wondering what is the simplest way of making my Free Flights into Missions. I don't really want or need all the bells and whistles that missions allow, not even the task itself needs to be in there. I'm really only hoping to get the option of an airborne start, and the task would be handled, as now, by GPS from the .FLT or the CAISet gauges (and XCSoar for people that use it).