ASH 25 - Open Class 26m wingspan, 60:1 with winglets

B21

Yes, both of us in the same glider...it's way cool! FSX threw up a warning about non-standard instruments or something, but for the most part it worked as advertised. There is a process of transferring control back and forth between pilots, using SHIFT+T, and it did work for the first transfer, but thereafter, even though the banner readouts indicated I had control returned to me, it wasn't the case, and control stayed with the second pilot. The control transfer only applies to stick and rudder...everything else can be controlled by both occupants at all times.

Aircraft Sharing is already a feature of FSX Deluxe version. Perfect for instruction.

Yes, you see the controls moving when the other pilot has command.

the joystick of the co-pilot is moving :-)

Yes, you see the controls moving when the other pilot has command.

I didn't mean the control stick in the glider, but the joystick that is connected to my computer. Is that moving too?

Ah, ok sorry.

My friend did say his FFB joystick was giving some sensations while I was in control, but I don't think it was moving. I'll ask him to describe more about what was happening.

Hi Ian,

congrats to you and Wolfgang to this great glider!

Maybe I missed a point, but I don't get any different STF when I turn the McCready-knob, neither with the needle in STF mode, now with the STF bug on the ASI. It stays all the time at the same position. It doesn't react also if I pulls the spoilers, or fly through sink area. It responds to dropping the water ballast, though.

Cheers,

Peter

PS: I'm also curious where the "active" performance control is located.

EDIT: After switching to a different aircraft and back the problem was gone. Could have been an initialization issue?

Thanks Peter you just beat me to it... I became aware of that issue yesterday and have fixed it with a new version on the download page.

An updated version of the B21 ASH25 has been uploaded to the download page (refresh your browser if download appears to be missing - you have a cached version of the prior page).

BUGFIX This updated version (1.4) fixes a 'speed-to-fly' bug that occurs at random and affects some users, causing the calculated 'speed-to-fly' to remain fixed at 104 kph / 54 knots. The bug can be made obviously visible by clicking on the face of the Airspeed Indicator so that the speed-to-fly is indicated by a small red needle rotating around the edge of the instrument. As Peter correctly guessed, the bug was a result of a relative timing between the initialization of the '302 vario' and a hidden gauge on the panel containing the ASH25 polar. I recommend all existing users download this update.

ALSO the update contains a minor change to the stall characteristics reducing the thermalling stall speed slightly and making the stall less abrupt. The glider will still stall in fully ballasted tight turns at around 50 knots. Stall recovery is immediate by pushing the stick forward.

ALSO a minor usability enhancement has been added - the flaps indicator gauge now includes a 'gear down' warning - the background of the instrument illuminated red when the gear is down.

B21

Hi,

on open-class glider cries for cross-country flying in beautiful landscape. Here it is. With no particular intent I take off in fair weather at Sion, LSGS, and let the SmartTow pull me to a decent thermal over the valley. After that I make it South, direction to Pic d'Artsinol. Winds in higher altitudes were 20kn from West, the high North-South ridges carry me well so I could leave the CumulusX! clouds below and climb to respectable 13.000 ft. After crossing Pas de Chevres, thereby almost crash because falling into lee-side downwash, I identify Mont Blanc. I consider reaching it and possibly proceeding to Gap-Tallard, LFNA, where I had spend a few seasons of RL gliding. I recognize becoming subject to strong lee-side conditions again when approaching Mont Blanc directly, so divert first to Northwest again, direction Martigny, and cross over to the West side of the Montlanc massif at Trient. Ridgelift is great but sometimes difficult to manoeuver around the clouds.

post-24548-0-65305000-1301847519_thumb.j

Southwest of Mont Blanc

Anyway everything goes well, and I reach Mont Blanc at summit altitude. It is still 80 nm North of Tallard and it is getting late already. There is the option to cross the high Ecrins mountains on the line of sight, but I know that the local pilots avoid entering the region, because of the impossibility of landing out. So I decide to go more West to Albertville and follow Val d'Isere direction Grenoble. This could give me better ridge lift in the Western flow, so that I could speed up in order to reach Tallard before the dark. Not the least, there would be alternates and chances for landing out, other than in the Ecrins.

post-24548-0-17067300-1301847538_thumb.j

Proceeding to Grenoble, getting late

Still above the thermal level, sunset is approaching fast so I'm getting doubts if can reach Tallard still in time. I'm considering landing in Brenoble le Versoud. But indeed, the Western flanks go extremely well by late sun light and Western wind so it goes extremely fast from Albertville to Grenoble, and I have already final glide altitude, but still 25 minutes to go. Anyway, in reach of final glide, I may ask the friends of the local glider club illuminating the runway with their cars, as the already did in the 80ies, when people underestimated time for descent from wave altitudes and landed after sunset. They were not amused, though ...

post-24548-0-15362700-1301847564_thumb.j

Coming home, final glide passing Gap, 8 nm to Tallard

The ridge lift along the West face of the Ecrins pushes me forward quickly. I followe Le Drac upstream and cross Col Bayard, direction to Gap, but it happens to be clearly after sunset when I passed Gap on final glide to Tallard. Daylight is just sufficient to land without artifical light.

Cheers,

Peter

post-24548-0-80015800-1301847575_thumb.j

Flightplan

the local glider club illuminating the runway with their cars

LOL we've had that in Scotland wave too.

Nice flight Peter. ~220 km ? Thanks for posting up the pics. You did well to make it in the dark...

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Nice flight Peter. ~220 km ?... You did well to make it in the dark...

*sigh*...and we are giving up at 5:00pm!!

Another multiplayer task in this ship, 195km out of Vinon, Provence. Wasted a lot of time at the beginning again, this time sorting out issues with XCSoar, so, abandoned task at second turnpoint and returned to Vinon, for a piddling 112km.

post-36204-0-41655100-1302705519_thumb.j