Autorotation training

Emi

Hi pilots,

can someone who knows how to do it teach me how to do an autorotation in the Huey?

1)How do I have to shut down the engine?

2)Which things do I have to watch at while falling from the sky?

A little guidance would be great

thx

Emi

If you do everything right, you will not fall off the sky...

1st. either close throttle, or swith main fuell off (and wait untill the engine sucked the fuel tubes empty)

2nd. Once engine has stopped, flare the chopper. That means lift the nose a bit to give the air a chance to flow through the rotor from below to up. At the same time lower the collective to 0 to not brake the rotor by drag of pitched blades.

Now lower the nose to maintain 60 kts, and keep this airspeed. Normally you would play with collective now to maintain normal rotor RPM, but this is not possible in FSX. But you can at least lift it a bit to get a bit more lift. This works without destroying the RPM.

Now look out for a suitable landing field. Once you found it, make a landing patern into the wind.

You can't land the chopper with 60 kts and the high sink rate, so you must flare it once again before landing. This gives your rotor some extra energy and brakes the whole aircraft to 0, or at least almost. At the same time rise collective and controll sinkrate. Touch down softly using the rotor energy. It is more than you think!

Do not overcontroll! You have only one chance.

Note that vertical autorotations are impossible in FSX. It needs speed to "simulate" it.

Good luck, Joachim

Hi Emi,

i saw your previous post with the autorotation problems. Partly i could reproduce your problems.

a) near zero speed when chopping the engine off

B) pitch set to high when the engine stops

my other autorotation landings worked flawless when the pitch was set to idle when the engine stopped. Everything else exactly as J.Schweigler said.

cheers

Jaeger

• Aerosoft

If you do everything right, you will not fall off the sky...

1st. either close throttle, or swith main fuell off (and wait untill the engine sucked the fuel tubes empty)

2nd. Once engine has stopped, flare the chopper. That means lift the nose a bit to give the air a chance to flow through the rotor from below to up. At the same time lower the collective to 0 to not brake the rotor by drag of pitched blades.

Now lower the nose to maintain 60 kts, and keep this airspeed. Normally you would play with collective now to maintain normal rotor RPM, but this is not possible in FSX. But you can at least lift it a bit to get a bit more lift. This works without destroying the RPM.

Now look out for a suitable landing field. Once you found it, make a landing patern into the wind.

You can't land the chopper with 60 kts and the high sink rate, so you must flare it once again before landing. This gives your rotor some extra energy and brakes the whole aircraft to 0, or at least almost. At the same time rise collective and controll sinkrate. Touch down softly using the rotor energy. It is more than you think!

Do not overcontroll! You have only one chance.

Note that vertical autorotations are impossible in FSX. It needs speed to "simulate" it.

Good luck, Joachim

Sort of begs for a video.......