New MS Flight Shoots

Guest Tuifly737-800WL

I think FSX looks great today. Works great today. Funny how many people complain about this franchise while so many profit, Aerosoft as well, of it.....

• Aerosoft

I think FSX looks great today. Works great today. Funny how many people complain about this franchise while so many profit, Aerosoft as well, of it.....

We got a serious love/hate relationship with FSX. The fact we are far less limited is great, unfortunately there are some very nasty bugs that cause us a lot of headaches.

The question for me is what type of engine are we looking at here?

It seems obvious that at least some (and probably a lot) of assets from FSX are in use here, but I find it hard to believe that MS thinks just bringing FSX up to the level of current third party add-ons is going to generate a desire to purchase from people who already have a significant dollar investment in those previous add-ons.

So what exactly is new here, besides improved textures and maybe some tweaked lighting?

Its a question MS is going to have to answer, and that answer had better be a good one.

• Upvote 1

The question for me is what type of engine are we looking at here?

It seems obvious that at least some (and probably a lot) of assets from FSX are in use here, but I find it hard to believe that MS thinks just bringing FSX up to the level of current third party add-ons is going to generate a desire to purchase from people who already have a significant dollar investment in those previous add-ons.

So what exactly is new here, besides improved textures and maybe some tweaked lighting?

Its a question MS is going to have to answer, and that answer had better be a good one.

MS does not have to answer any question, especially not to the current minority who buys add-ons. What they need to do, is to produce a product that appeals to the masses, runs well and feels good. If they do their job really well, they will also make a great expandable platform (like the current franchise) - and let developers unleash their creativity in superb add-ons, but this time the after marked is a part of their strategy. The MS online store will make it much easier for people to buy and manage add-ons, more people will buy them, but it might seriously hurt companies like Aerosoft - who I guess do a lot of their business as a publisher. In the next round MS will probably become the biggest after marked publisher by a large margin. And while I don't know this, I will guess a lot of external developers previously loyal to Aerosoft will sell directly in the MS store, bypassing Aerosoft.

This would make a stand-alone Aerosoft Flight Simulator a very wise decision, and some competition would not hurt the end customer...

Just some thought.

• Upvote 1

MS does not have to answer any question, especially not to the current minority who buys add-ons. What they need to do, is to produce a product that appeals to the masses, runs well and feels good. If they do their job really well, they will also make a great expandable platform (like the current franchise) - and let developers unleash their creativity in superb add-ons, but this time the after marked is a part of their strategy. The MS online store will make it much easier for people to buy and manage add-ons, more people will buy them, but it might seriously hurt companies like Aerosoft - who I guess do a lot of their business as a publisher. In the next round MS will probably become the biggest after marked publisher by a large margin. And while I don't know this, I will guess a lot of external developers previously loyal to Aerosoft will sell directly in the MS store, bypassing Aerosoft.

This would make a stand-alone Aerosoft Flight Simulator a very wise decision, and some competition would not hurt the end customer...

Just some thought.

I don't think MS will be silly enough not to realize the potential market represented by the denizens of the numerous websites like this who will not only buy at launch (out of curiosity) but will also continue to buy, year after year, out of genuine affinity for the genre.

The first few months after launch may generate some nice money, but its been the long term people who love flying that kept coming back again and again for version after version for Microsofts offerings.

Not to mention the ingenuity and innovation of the third party designers who kept the market going while MS was asleep at the wheel.

If Microsoft really thought they did not need to bring those people into the circle, they would be very stupid indeed.

So yes, I think they need to do some convincing, or a huge number of people will either stay where they are (FSX) or will jump ship for whatever fills their needs.

AFS 20?? X-Plane?

I don't think MS will be silly enough not to realize the potential market represented by the denizens of the numerous websites like this who will not only buy at launch (out of curiosity) but will also continue to buy, year after year, out of genuine affinity for the genre.

The first few months after launch may generate some nice money, but its been the long term people who love flying that kept coming back again and again for version after version for Microsofts offerings.

Not to mention the ingenuity and innovation of the third party designers who kept the market going while MS was asleep at the wheel.

If Microsoft really thought they did not need to bring those people into the circle, they would be very stupid indeed.

So yes, I think they need to do some convincing, or a huge number of people will either stay where they are (FSX) or will jump ship for whatever fills their needs.

AFS 20?? X-Plane?

You will go were the community goes. MS does not have to convince you, if they make Flight into a great platform for add-ons and secure a large market, you will come onboard sooner or later - as the high fidelity after marked products pop up:)

• Upvote 1

You will go were the community goes. MS does not have to convince you, if they make Flight into a great platform for add-ons and secure a large market, you will come onboard sooner or later - as the high fidelity after marked products pop up:)

BTW: I'm not a fan of MS Flight. I would wish that another company would make a superior product.

A dream would be a product consisting of:

- A scalable cross platform render and scenery system (used in desktop, military and full motion simulators)

- Open source flight dynamics and physics

- Open source electric, fluid and subsystem framework

• Upvote 1

<br />You will go were the community goes. MS does not have to convince you, if they make Flight into a great platform for add-ons and secure a large market, you will come onboard sooner or later - as the high fidelity after marked products pop up:)<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Really?

I won't speak for anybody else here, but access to my wallet is not a given to any software company, even Microsoft.

Companies that forget that tend to wonder later why sales did not match projections.....

Or they hastily and belatedly begin reaching out after the fact to the consumers who's interest they took for granted.

I have left Ms products on the shelves before, and have no qualms about doing it again.

<br /><br /><br />

Really?

I won't speak for anybody else here, but access to my wallet is not a given to any software company, even Microsoft.

Companies that forget that tend to wonder later why sales did not match projections.....

Or they hastily and belatedly begin reaching out after the fact to the consumers who's interest they took for granted.

I have left Ms products on the shelves before, and have no qualms about doing it again.

If and when you will get a superior experience in the Flight game, you will probably change platform... as any enthusiast would. Just my two cents.

Anyways, my hope is for a simulator consisting of:

- A scalable cross platform render and scenery system (used in desktop, military and full motion simulators)

- Open source flight dynamics and physics

- Open source electric, fluid and subsystem framework

Add to the mix - well designed developer tools. For instance procedural painting of large ground ground and depth textures (virtual textures). It would drop development time for scenery add-ons to half or maybe a third.

• Upvote 1