Strange Problem - Engine Shutdown

Scout59

Hi Finn and fellow Simmers,

lateley I have a strange problem when shutting down my engines. I use the engine 1 and engine 2 levers (right click with mouse) on the centre pedestal, and 80% of the time the engines shut down accordingly. But sometimes N1 hangs around 7 % and I hear a sound as if the start-up routine has been activated, and they will not turn off. I tried turning of the fuel pumps, but this has no effect.

It's not a big deal, just irritating! Has anyone encounterd this strange behaviour too? What could prevent the engines from shutting down? Re-starting the turbines and shutting them down again has no effect.

Otherwise I have no problems with the bus, just the known little bugs and waiting for the next update.

Somebody got a clue???

Cheers,

Hello Folks,

Anyone else noticed this strange behaviour.

Hi Shaun,

seems that I am the only one with this strange behaviour, and hope that Finn might have a clue what causes this, as he is the Systems Guru.

What I didn't mention is the fact that I can't activate AES as long the turbines haven't run down, which is really disturbing.

Is there any trick to "force" engine shut down?

Cheers,

Hello Scout59,

I do know but you may think its cheating, try setting a key assignment for Automatic Engine Shutdown, that might possibly work.

Hi Shaun,

thanks for your tip with the key assignment for Automatic Engine Shutdown, but it didn't solve the problem.

I attached a screenshot of the center pedestal state after shutdown where you can see that N1 hangs around 7% and N2 hovers at 26%. The engines just won't rev down! :angry:

Hope Finn has a hint to this.

PS: My Saitek X52 isn't the problem. I checked that already.

Have a nice weekend....

Cheers,

post-24976-082588600 1296841616_thumb.jp

Hello Scout59,

This may be worth a try try pressing the F1 key so the throttle is completely at idle before turning the fuel etc off.

Good Morning Shaun,

pressing F1 to go into idle has also no effect. Seems that a software instruction is hanging somewhere.

Still waiting if Finn has a clue or can offer a workaround. Maybe a mod in a XML file to force shutdown is possible.

Cheers,

Hello Scout59,

Try killing the controller if possible and then use F1 to go to Idle and see if it then turns off, just to check if you got noise in your controllers that might be causing it.

So at least you have taken the controllers you use now for the throttles out of the equation.

Hello Scout59,

Try killing the controller if possible and then use F1 to go to Idle and see if it then turns off, just to check if you got noise in your controllers that might be causing it.

So at least you have taken the controllers you use now for the throttles out of the equation.

Good Morning Shaun,

OK, I'll give it a try by the end of the week. I disconnected the controllers two weeks ago and had no change. This time I will remove the drivers and hardware and re-install and re-calibrate. See if that helps.

Cheers,

Hello Scout59,

Hello Shaun,

I assume that I have found the problem that caused the turbines from not shutting down. I remember that mid January I updated my MB and USB drivers and had no problem with my hardware except the shutdown issue. Saturday I de-installed the Saitek hardware and drivers, re-booted the system and installed and calibrated all again. Since then I haven't had a shutdown problem! I guess that after updating the MB and USB drivers the Saitek drivers had a communication inconsistence with the USB interface. The following procedures could be a solution to some of the throttle problems mentioned in the forum, and I offer a step by step setup guide for the Saitek X52 to make sure that the drivers and hardware are installed correctly:

Step 1: De-install the Saitek hardware and drivers. Re-boot the system.

Step 2: Download the latest motherboard chipset and USB drivers, the latest DirectX version (November 2010) and Saitek drivers.

Install and re-boot the system.

Note: DirectX is not updated by the Windows update service. This must be done manually!

Step 3: Connect the X52 and first calibrate with the Saitek software, then in FSX and check that the controller is registered in DirectX

by starting dxdiag.exe. This can be found in Windows > Systems32 folder. If FSUIPC is used, check the hardware here too.

I noticed that the X52 reacts much smoother to input and I haven't had a shutdown problem since, and hope these procedures help other simmers with controller problems.

Cheers,