HUEY X and controller setup

Finn

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaun - can I ask a quickie, please. re cyclic/joystick controls?

I have just purchased (PC-Aviator) and installed Huey-X. Fired up FSX and found that my cyclic (joystick) inputs were reversed (i.e. push joystick forward - VC cyclic goes back, tilt jostick left - VC cyclic tilts right). Now, I was surprised at this as I thought you would program the Huey like most other FSX/FS9 rotor-craft. O.K., so I went to Options.Settings>Controls and 'reversed' the joystick inputs, only to find that this has no effect on the VC cyclic operation. Amazing! What's going on, I thought? The Huey has a mind of its own!

Right - back to the manual. Anything there? well, not really - controls would appear to be pretty straightforward in that there was no section explaining this possible 'reversal'.

So - onto the Aerosoft Forum and read through several posts on this subject. Found several mentions of a Joystick Configuration Tool in the Aerosoft Installer/Launcher. Back to the Manual - Nope - no mention of a Config Tool there.

Now, Shaun has said:

It seems some people has troubles with the Huey X not recognising their controllers.

The Huey has a custom module for a more advanced flight model which seem to cause this.

O.K. - Question: Can you point me to the Config Tool as it doesn't appear to be installed, please?

Thanks for your support.

Cheers - Dai.

Finn - here is my HUEY-X page on the Launcher:

HUEY_Launcher_Page.jpg

Where do I find the Config Tool, please?

Cheers - Dai.

EDIT: O.K. - I've downloaded the latest Launcher version (1.1.0.1) and the Config Tool is there:

HUEY_Launcher_Page_Latest.jpg

Now I can reverse the axes 'polarity' - Thanks.

This fix bypasses the custom coded realistic flighmodel module.

This means that You won´t feel the more realistic Yaw indiced torque or retreating blade stall etc.

The Huey will fly more or less like the default helicopters.

An option could be to use HTR (Helicopter Total Realism) instead:

http://www.hovercont...r_Total_Realism

We cannot give any support to HTR though.

Hello,

There is a new HTR profile in Hovercontrol for the Aerosoft Huey X that can be used with the fix that bypasses the custom coded realistic flighmodel module. HTR provides exceptional flight dynamics to the Huey and can be used by anyone who has unresolved controller problems and was forced to apply this fix, consequently loosing the custom Huey X flight dynamics.

The freeware HTR utility can also be used by anyone who would like extremely advanced flight dynamics for the Huey including Torque Induced Yaw, Dissymmetry of Lift, Retreating Blade Stall, Vortex Ring State. In any case you have to disable the Aerosoft custom coded realistic flighmodel module.

You can get HTR here: http://www.hovercont...zip&img=&tt=zip

and the Aerosoft Huey profile here: http://www.hovercont...zip&img=&tt=zip

Just read the README file for instructions for the Huey.

Regards

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

There is a new HTR profile in Hovercontrol for the Aerosoft Huey X that can be used with the fix that bypasses the custom coded realistic flighmodel module. HTR provides exceptional flight dynamics to the Huey and can be used by anyone who has unresolved controller problems and was forced to apply this fix, consequently loosing the custom Huey X flight dynamics.

The freeware HTR utility can also be used by anyone who would like extremely advanced flight dynamics for the Huey including Torque Induced Yaw, Dissymmetry of Lift, Retreating Blade Stall, Vortex Ring State. In any case you have to disable the Aerosoft custom coded realistic flighmodel module.

You can get HTR here: http://www.hovercont...zip&img=&tt=zip

and the Aerosoft Huey profile here: http://www.hovercont...zip&img=&tt=zip

Just read the README file for instructions for the Huey.

Regards

Nick

Great find :)

I have used HTR for various other helicopters and agree that it can make very nice helis out of more simple ones.

For those who have troubles with our module, HTR is for sure a good alternative.

Finn

• 2 months later...

Hi ! ((Was this a bad choice))

Just bought the HUEY X, and followed the "HUEY X and controller setup". (only free FSUIPC)

no matter what I do, in FSX Control Axes/Ailerons axis/Joystick X (nothing happens no matter if I make it reverse or not ?) ?

All other airplane including Rotor-craft in my hangar, working just fine, but Aerosoft HUEY-X does it inverted when it comes to the Ailerons axis (no matter what I do)FSX Control Axes/Ailerons axis/Joystick X ))???

i7 2700 4.2 GHz (8MB Unlocke)

16GB D-C DDR3 1600 800MHz (9-9-9-24)

ATI-Radeon HD-5850 1GB GDDR5 Overclocked Edition

Hanns.G HG281Å  (1920x1200@60Hz)

MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) (m-board)

977GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 ATA Device (SATA)

59GB OCZ OCZ-AGILITY 3 Series SSD ATA Device (SATA)

Realtek High Definition Audio

TRACKIR 4

Win7 64bit Pro

Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar

mos

Not sure if I read this right but I believe its meant to be this way, I'll try to find the post.

Hi !

I tried / used the Launcher V 1.1.0.1 for the Huey X, to solve the problem, with the inverted Ailerons axis, using the "Configure joystick"

(Axis Nr.0 <XAxis> Reverse v (Axis_Ailerons_SET)).

But nothing happens, the X axis still does it inverted. ?

mos

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, new member but have been having the same frustrations as a lot of people here. I am using a Windows Xbox 360 controller to fly, I just like it. I installed the new launcher which fixed aileron input. However, the elevator input is reversed and when I tick in the "reverse" on the elevator axis in th joystick config tool it makes no difference.

Worse still the rudder still does not respond either so I have a spinning top Huey!

Any help would be appreciated. All my other craft work great.

Cheers

Dan

Thing is it works on everything else I have, DCS A10C, Blackshark, all of the other FSX add on aircraft. It would be reasonable to assume it's not an issue with the controller. Will look into installing the 3rd party physics over the standard one see if that helps. I just enjoy using the pad with TrackIR, a nice combo, maybe not realistic but hey, I enjoy it. :)

I managed to get it working using the flight control overide file posted by Finn.

It may not be 100% accurate flight wise (like I would ever know lol) but it's a great looking heli!

Thanks all!

Dan

• 1 month later...

Well guys,

seems that it´s not only 1 out of 100 with controller problems on the Huey X. Purchased the helo last weekend and....bammm: dead stick, horrible flight behaviour and all the other stuff described in the forum due to not get it right in the settings. I am simming since 1998 and even with the Dodosim Bell (in earlier times when I still used FS9 within which it was somehow tricky to do a controller setup to the helicopter) no probs in setting up the controllers.

I am using FSXA with a lot of free and payware addons without any issues. For helicopter flying the Logitec 3D, CH PEDALS and the CH Trottle Quad (for planes like the Twotter only ...to use the trottle quad for helicopters is to my opinion not suitable..but who likes....)

So for heli-simming most of us use a stick with the "slider" set up as the throttle. But no luck this time.

Few statements:

1. as the HueyX needs a special setup it´s not of any sense to make changes in FSX that affect every other helicopter or plane. No one is flying ONLY HueyX and wants to change configs or settings everytime he switches aircraft with the procedure of closing and restarting FSX.

2. other developers managed to implement special helicopter flight behaviors without making any changes to axis assignements in FSX(sorry to say - and I am in no way affiliated with Dodosim)

3. sound....well I was flying the Huey with the German Airforce (Ltg 61, Penzing). The warning sounds in the cockpit are somewhat strange, hmm? The characteristic rotor blade sound (flap-flap) of the Heuy is not implemented at all. Just take a second and listen to the above mentioned Bell 206...if you go in a dive or make tight turns or the wind direction changes and...flap-flap). Customers do not buy products only due to their fantastic skins (and the HueyX does have them indeed) but also due to cool and realistic sounds. This, together with scenery and real weather makes flightsimming so immersive.

Conclusion: Aerosoft did a good job in creating this helicopter, especially the skin/model, BUT

a) you should definitely think about a simple tool to config the settings to get the bird in the air (NO FSX.cfg changing before we fire the game up, NO changes that affect other addons permanently)...seen in the forum that you are already working on some fixing tool

cool.gif go into the sounds and pimp them...it´s possible as described

c) don´t talk about costs...customers interested in heli-simming bought products beeing more expensive....given that the quality is VERY GOOD (see Bell 206). The ones who like to fly simple helicopters (concerning FDE) may choose to buy Nemeth designs

d) helicopter physics: don´t talk about "it´s not possible in FSX"....it is. Just check Dodo or the guys at Vertical reality simulation (VRS superbug F18).

I am a proud customer of aerosoft and I desperately hope that we get this HueyX flying with a simple tweak and some modifications in the near future.

Up to now it´s sitting in my hangar and the mechanics told me that they were missing parts :-)So I am grounded with my 27 Euros

Cheers

Willy

BTW: what axis asignements do you recommend for Logitech 3D stick (or similiar joystick)and ruderpedals (without use of throttle quad? Tried it on my own but again without luck

@Heli3 - Just out of interest, what stick was you useing when you had all the problems?

Have Huey X. Was working fine. Now cyclic control does not move. Using Siatek Cyborg V.1 joystick and C-Tek collective with Saitek pedals. Running Widows 7, 64 bit and FSX. Have reinstalled Huey X disc version but still no cyclic control response. Thank you.

• Deputy Sheriffs

That's a pretty high end setup, so it may be a while before someone with something similar sees your request and helps out. Please be patient.

Have Huey X. Was working fine. Now cyclic control does not move. Using Siatek Cyborg V.1 joystick and C-Tek collective with Saitek pedals. Running Widows 7, 64 bit and FSX. Have reinstalled Huey X disc version but still no cyclic control response. Thank you.

Tried the Aerosoft Joystick Config Tool in the Aerosoft Launcher.

• 2 months later...

Huey posted product pages that need to be mapped to the default FSX joystick That's is not enough - you have a very FSUIPC interface using the problem may be that everyone at least read the forum should be mentioned. Most readers of this product so that the same behavior can be like me: 'warning' is interpreted well run all my plane that!

• 3 months later...

Hello. I need help with controllers. I've read this entire thread and tried the solutions (except for the panel fix that bypasses the module, which I won't use, since I bought this helicopter BECAUSE of it's advanced flight dynamics...I only fly this one and the Dodo for that reason).

I used to have no problem with the Huey. I have a standard setup:

FSX on D:/MyGames/FSX

Win 7 running FSX as admin

CH pedals

Thrustmaster 16000M joystick (with twist axis)

CH throttle

I recently had to reinstall FSX from scratch. It's now basically default. I do use FSUIPC, but only for a few lua scripts for complex aircraft like the J41. I let FSX handle the controllers. I have one profile for the Dodo, since I use two throttle axes (Throttle 1 and Throttle 2) on my CH quadrant, and the Dodo needs just the main Throttle control to work correctly, so I have a profile that maps Throttle 1 to the Main Throttle.

But a few months ago I bought an Xbox 360 controller for some other games. I just tried to fly the Huey again today after reinstalling it into my fresh FSX install and the cyclic (joystick) wouldn't work. I noticed that I could control cyclic with my Xbox controller, even though it is not set up as a controller in FSX in any way. The rudder worked fine with my rudder pedals. I could seem to control pitch and roll somewhat, even though the cyclic didn't move in the VC. But it was very sluggish with very little input. Not really controlled flight.

So, I looked on the forum, and found this thread. I tried the joystick config tool in Launcher but it didn't work. So, I unplugged my Xbox 360 controller and tried again and the cyclic (joystick) now worked as it should but the rudder pedals did not. The brake axes of the pedals work (x and y...but not the z axis). I tried plugging back in the Xbox controller, but neither the joystick nor the rudder pedals work. I tried setting up the CH pedals in the joystick config tool from the launcher, but that didn't change anything. I can control the rudders with the Z axis of my joystick as long as my Xbox controller is not plugged in, but I DO NOT have the Z axis of my joystick assigned in FSX, so I'm not sure why that is happening, and I DO NOT want to control the rudder that way. I have very expensive rudder pedals for that. Besides, using the z-axis on my joystick also seems to affect collective (since the needle on the indicator moves significantly when I twist the joystick).

How can I delete whatever changes were made by the joystick config tool in Launcher so that I can try again with just FSX assignments and the Xbox 360 unplugged? I tried unassigning all axes in the joystick tool, but that made no difference. Reassigning axes in FSX didn't make a difference. Everything works fine will all other aircraft. No axes are assigned in FSUIPC (every axis and controller I rescan and move in FSUIPC's assignment screen shows "report directly to FSX").

What else can I do? I will not disable the flight dynamics that are the reason I bought this model. I don't have any interest in HTR or any 3rd party profile. Like I said, the Huey used to work just fine. The only changes are the addition of the Xbox controller to my system, and the fresh reinstall of FSX. But that brought FSX back to a more standard install. I have very little additional stuff on it now.

I submitted a support ticket on this when I posted, and Shaun finally sent me a response on that, but the response was basically that this appears to be my problem and that this thread is the best place for it. Not the support I was expecting from Aerosoft, particularly since I am a pretty loyal customer.

Soooo....., since this thread is the best place to get a solution, apparently, can anyone answer my specific question as to what files the joystick config tool modifies and what it does to them so I can try to reverse that? As I said, this problem is clearly caused by the way this addon intercepts control inputs. It apparently doesn't do that well, in that it doesn't seem to be able to accommodate the normal range of controllers on typical systems. Anyone else who has had this problem, and there appear to be a number of us, figure out a solution?

Archived