Troubles on departure

Popcorn

I've read what others have said about Airbus X being hard to fly manually. I have found it to be the same for me. However, it is better with small and slow changes. I need to get out of the Boeing mindset. I don't know if there is an issue with the flight model or if this is really how a Bus handles, but the default A321 handles muchbetter than Airbus X IMO.

Anyway, I always have trouble on departure. I am following the step by step guide and I still don't have any luck, so I figured I'd give the board a try. Once I hit Vr, I slowly rotate to 12°-15° and once positive rate of climb is established, I raise the gear and disarm the spoilers. The flaps are retracted at the proper speeds and I put the throttle to the CL detent. By the time I do this, I'm ready to arm the AP. My first initial altitude is set and I have the proper dashes/balls per the guide in the FCU. However, once I activate the AP the plane rapidly goes from a climb attitude to a small descent attitude and turns to a heading of 360 even though I don't have a heading specified and it's all dashes.

So, In short how to I properly have the plane continue to climb and stay on the current heading until I manually change it to the heading ATC provides? I know I can push in the ALT button in that is used to set the altitude for managed mode, but the guide says to do that at a later time after selecting the cruise altitude. I know if using ATC, you put in the altitude they provide. Regardless of using ATC or not, I don't understand why the plane pitches down once AP is selected since I have a higher altitude set in the FCU...shouldn't it lower the nose a little to reach the 250 KIAS speed but still continue to climb?

Edit: Also, whenever I disable the AP in flight, the plane pitches up rapidly...shouldn't there be no change as the AP set the trim? If I disable it in level cruise flight and the AP set the trim, shouldn't the plane stay in level flight if the AP is disconnected because it's trimmed for level flight?

Edit: Also, whenever I disable the AP in flight, the plane pitches up rapidly...shouldn't there be no change as the AP set the trim? If I disable it in level cruise flight and the AP set the trim, shouldn't the plane stay in level flight if the AP is disconnected because it's trimmed for level flight?

• Upvote 1

Not good at all, AP has to be turned off at some point on final and at the lower speeds a rapid pitch up at a high AoA could induce a stall. I sure hope they intend on fixing this on the next patch along with flight dynamic issues.

... My first initial altitude is set and I have the proper dashes/balls per the guide in the FCU. However, once I activate the AP the plane rapidly goes from a climb attitude to a small descent attitude and turns to a heading of 360 even though I don't have a heading specified and it's all dashes.

So, In short how to I properly have the plane continue to climb and stay on the current heading until I manually change it to the heading ATC provides? I know I can push in the ALT button in that is used to set the altitude for managed mode, but the guide says to do that at a later time after selecting the cruise altitude. I know if using ATC, you put in the altitude they provide. Regardless of using ATC or not, I don't understand why the plane pitches down once AP is selected since I have a higher altitude set in the FCU...shouldn't it lower the nose a little to reach the 250 KIAS speed but still continue to climb?...

Every time you change the altitude you must either push (managed mode) or pull (selected mode) the button in order for the new value to be activated. You can crosscheck on the PFD where the new value should be shown at one on the ends of the altitude tape.

okay, I was able to depart fairly smooth yesterday. The Vr rotation is still a little slopy, but I can't do much hand flying due to what I believe is issues with the flight model. Before I arm AP, I push in the ALT knob for managed mode and then it seems to climb pretty well without much rapid pitch issues. It starts the turn to the course and everything is fine...this is until landing. I don't think there is anything I or anyone can do until Aerosoft fix several issues. The first is disengaging the AP. Even on final it pitches up rapidly and if you're not carefull it will stall because of the slower speeds. The second issue is again the flight model...it's very hard to control the plane without AP on. I am begging Aerosoft to fix these issues. I love the plane otherwise and it would be my favorite in the virtual hanger, but with these serious issues, I can't say that it is. Until the issues are fixed, I think I am going to uninstall and wait for a patch/update to see if the problems are solved.

Also, why is the fuel flow so messed up? On the ground at idle, I'm burning over 1000 kgs/hour. That number is way off. On top of that, at altitude, it shows it's burning like 1600-1700 kgs/hour and that number is off a lot too. In fact, at CLB throttle at lower altitudes, the plane shows I am burning less than I am at cruise. She sure is a great looking model, but I think you guys released it too fast and need to fix several issues. I'm not upset and I still support Aerosoft because I know you'll fix the items that need to be fixed.

Hello Popcorn,

I have asked about the fuel flow problem your seeing.

Hello Shaun

Who cares about fuel flow, if the aircracf is completely uncontrollable?

Please reply.

Brgds

Hello Shaun

Please reply.

Brgds

Obviously someone does as they mentioned it.

One could also say who cares about your problem!

We care about them all but some are hard to figure out why.

A suggestion was given to the initial posters problem so there is no need for you to jump in here with your comment.

This is simply not true, it's just that you can't control it which is another issue completely. If it helps, I'm using a X-52 with no additional Saitek software installed; just plug and play with totally default controller settings in FSX and the realism sliders all on maximum. I have absolutely no problem flying circuits at 2,000ft and no more than 10 miles from the airport without the use of the autopilot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have been reading loads of posts about the airbus being hard to handle in manual mode or even in ap mode. I really don't understand this as my very first landing with ils went abit wrong due to an input error of mine but when i disengaged the ap and flew it manually I could land it easily and accurate without any problems.

Now I'm not used to any bus before being - like most of us- a boeing man.

I absolutely refuse to touch the FS airbus because of it's bad flightmodel!

This airbus is not without it's problems..true! I had to do alot of reading before I got rid of CTD's ..but all handling related problems..I have yet to experience them!

happy landings to all,

peetey :rolleyes: