Qualifying GP'10 Switzerland

sf4JC

I think I'm going to release it in an unfinished state tomarrow, but at least you FSX users can have a "stab" at it. Don't expect it before Noon USA Mountain time though.

Scott

Forgot to mention a little about it...

This package is based on DAY7 of the 2010 FAI Qualifying Sailplane GP St. Moritz (Switzerland). You would be flying against mostly VENTUS 2, LS8, and ASW27 aircraft. Starting time is at 16:20 local time. The task is about 105.5km and can be finished in the 40-50 minute range. Due to how FSZweverView2004 makes tasks, I had to make it about 2 km shorter than the competition. BUT, don't be fooled, they are fast.

You can use any aircraft, but to be in the contest for now, I would like you to have the Discus 2b and the LS8-18 glider's from Wolfgang Piper with the CAIset gauges.

Scott

PS. There is an added SURPRISE for those of you that use FSRecorder v2.1.6 (not sure if it will work in earlier versions of FSRecorder though)

Are you enforcing a maximum start height? (RL was 3000m) I thought I was under, but Flight Viewer says I crossed start line at 3070m.

Anyhow, 43:26 145.7 km/hr

What do we submit for scoring?

I had lots of extra height at finish, so should have been faster.

Are you enforcing a maximum start height? (RL was 3000m) I thought I was under, but Flight Viewer says I crossed start line at 3070m.

Anyhow, 43:26 145.7 km/hr

What do we submit for scoring?

I had lots of extra height at finish, so should have been faster.

You know, I never even gave that a thought. Somehow I just took for granted I was at the right hieght at start as I was basically thowing it all together at the end. I think there was a couple above me at start, but will take a look at the website later today. And as far as scoring, I don't know what I was talking about. But, if you can post your IGC from the flight here, I'm sure others may want to see and use it. I've just been saving an IGC file from FSZwever Viewer2004, but maybe we should be saving the IGC with Sim_logger. But then again, I'm not sure how to "cheat" the contest, I mean, I have some thoughts but don't know if they would be recognizable to anyone. It's for fun, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it anyways.

Here are a couple runs that I have had...

FSX - -> sgp2010SwitzerlandFSX2.zip

FS2004 - -> QualGP\'10 Switzerland FS2004 2ndTry.zip

Scott

It appeared that you had thought about start height, because the flight began at a little above 3000m, I forget what exactly, but by slow cruising, I arrived at the start very close to 3000m. There was, of course, opportunity to gain some height before starting, then do a proper high speed start if desired, but I didn't try that due to unfamiliarity with the course. I have saved IGC files from both Sim Logger and from the FZ Viewer, and I'll try to remember to upload them tonight when I get home.

I'm not on my main computer right now, but I may have failed to mention in the ReadMe that the start of the race was at 16:20 and was a race to the finish. Boy was I unprepared with assembling this one together. But I do have a month before I hold the FunFly/Contest there (now I don't even recall if I've anounced it or not). The weather will be changed for that weekend somewhat, so as not to have totally the same conditions.

Scott

You mentioned the start time in the Readme, but it was not a factor. I simply flew conservatively compared to you, and had excess height at the finish, which I should have converted to speed earlier.

I have two suggestions, if that is not out of line:

1. Set and enforce a maximum start height. This helps to create a more equitable contest and discourages cloud flying where that may be a factor. Of course, then you must ensure that everyone can achieve that height before starting. In this case, it seems simple, as the starting location is right in some lift.

2. Create and include a .PLN file in the distribution. Although any aircraft can be used with the CAISet popup, adding a .PLN and making sure that flight plan is referenced in the .FLT file opens up the task to some other aircraft/instrument options, like the DG-808S, UKVGA_ASW28 and Ian's new XML instruments.

but it's your contest and you should set it up however you want.

BUL_QualGP10_Switzerland.zip

Tonight was our regular flying night with my friend, DC, and we decided to fly this task. We flew it twice, once using Peter's FSHost, and second time Direct IP. We noticed the jittery movement with FSHost, and it was pretty much a deal-breaker for us. Direct IP is rock solid.

The first try, DC landed out, and I flew too fast and ended up low, lost time regaining height and did worse than the flight from 30th January. Also crashed when landing due to playing with external views for video. The next try, I got a good fast start, but again crossed the start line a tad over, at 3032m. Forgot to save an IGC with Sim Logger, so I had to get one from Flight Viewer 2, which shows 36:55, 171.4km/h.

Opening it in Cambridge Aero Explorer, I can't get it to recognize the start, I think because with the Direct IP, we ended up with a takeoff from runway instead of the airborne start. No idea why that happened.

Are you still planning to run this as a multiplayer contest?

BUL_QualGP\'10_Switzerland_08-02-11.zip

We noticed the jittery movement with FSHost, and it was pretty much a deal-breaker for us.

thanks for trying out and the feedback. It's really good to know what people bothers. I will leave the server running still for while, but I think I will shut it down finally.

Cheers,

Peter

There are pros and cons with everything. FSHost allows connection with domain name as well as IP. It really is convenient to just plug in a domain name that doesn't change, and not have to exchange IP numbers which are dynamic. A static IP would solve that, for a price. Also, if you intend to host for FSX and earlier versions of FS, then FSHost accommodates that. I hope to find out soon, just how large a crowd can be brought together for a multiplayer task using just FSX Direct IP.

The jittery movements are, of course, only apparent when you are close enough to see the other player. Unfortunately, that is one of the prime motivators for us to do multiplayer, and it's too bad there seems to way to fix it. Then again, it's not uncommon on a multiplayer task, to not be near the other pilots except at the start gate.

It's clear to me now, that even with FSHost, there still has to be something organized for multiplayer to happen. It's the closest thing we have to a dedicated server, but you still have to get the task somewhere first, and know who will fly and when they will fly.

thanks for trying out and the feedback. It's really good to know what people bothers. I will leave the server running still for while, but I think I will shut it down finally.

Peter, what other factors figure into your decision? My opinion is only one opinion, and what bothers me may be a non-issue for others.

Peter, what other factors figure into your decision?

Well, if requested, I'll let the server run further.

However, there is only very little activity in the connection log. The server is now running continously since January, 28th, and your and DC's visit was the only one. There was only one more session in the period before. And there is no voice (bandwidth limitation).

Eventually, better is the enemy of good and if there is a solution for the jitter-problem, the thing will be over anyway.

Cheers,

Oeter

Are you still planning to run this as a multiplayer contest?

Yes, I'm hoping to get a little more time this weekend to put some "advertising" together before Monday or Tuesday of this next week. I've got my TeamSpeak3 server set up for now, with a banner of sorts. Now I just really need to focus on advertising it here and at the main SOAR site.

I've been spending some time lately getting to know some computer programming with Visual Studio 2008 Express & 2010 Express, and my brain is not quite up to it :wacko: . But, maybe I just need to take baby steps, and I'll begin to understand it better. I did a little programming in High School with an Apple 2c, and back then I accelled at learning it, but now I barely even know where to start. Hooray for tutorials though.

It's clear to me now, that even with FSHost, there still has to be something organized for multiplayer to happen. It's the closest thing we have to a dedicated server, but you still have to get the task somewhere first, and know who will fly and when they will fly.

That's kinda what this section of the forum is for basically, I believe. We just haven't used it to it's full potential maybe.

Scott

OK, I can't figure this out. When I load this as a Free Flight (and that applies with FSHost of course), I get the airborne start that is configured in the .FLT file. But when I host it as a FSX Multiplayer session (DirectIP), loading the exact same Free Flight, we all start on the runway at Samedan. Why is that happening?