Huey X: Initial release Issues

I have posted my Controls file as quested with no response. I have tried to follow the link for "problems with non animated controls"" and the page will not open.

As with others I have yaw control with my foot pedals, but no response to Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick for pitch and roll.

Is this being worked on please?

Paul

I think I posted an answer here:

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=42808&view=findpost&p=285654

Please try that.

Also read all the other recomendations in this thread.

Finn

• Aerosoft

I have posted my Controls file as quested with no response. I have tried to follow the link for "problems with non animated controls"" and the page will not open.

As with others I have yaw control with my foot pedals, but no response to Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick for pitch and roll.

Is this being worked on please?

Paul

Sorry that the links did not work, now fixed. They link to a post in this thread of course.

The issue is NOT being worked on as we decided that we would use the standard FSX default joystick tags. If your FSX is modified to divert those to other tags there might be a problem and you will have to follow the advise given in this post. Also make sure that Advanced animations is on because that could also prevent the animation.

If all fails I advise you to move the FSX.cfg to another location and let FSX build a new one the next time is starts up. That way you can be sure that all FSX behaves as a standard FSX. If you want to change the joystick axis using FSUIPC do so with the 'Aircraft Specific' option, that way you only change the aircraft that need it.

I had problems and started using a new FSX.cfg this morning. Problems solved. It also solved a scenery problem and FSX seems way smoother now. Obviously I messed up in there in the past. Nice tip. The only change in the cfg I will do now is the one done by Flight Sim Labs, Ltd. FSX Texture Fix Utility.

Just found out that the search light works great same lights as the Airbus uses, not like the lousy fsx landing lights. I understand it only works from the VC though?

So are you saying that if I use a specific profile in FSUIPC and send the cyclic, throttle and rudder etc through to normal FS controls within FSUIPC then it will function correctly? If you can guarantee (not just I think) that it works without me having to go into the FS controls interface to reassign the functions back in then I'll purchase for sure. If I buy it and it turns out it doesn't work I hope in this instance you would offer a refund otherwise I'm not prepared to take the risk. I don't want to waste my money, as reassigning controls just for one aircraft is a hassle because of all the hardware I have connected to my PC.

That's fine Andy. I think it can be solved by using the aircraft specific option of course but you already seemed to have made up your mind.

It's very simply, we create our addons for FSX, if people change FSX so the standard commands do not function anymore, you might have problems and you will have to accept that. I know may people do because of the advantages you get by changing FSX, but if you work for a large audience like we do you got little option. Everybody in Aerosoft has FSUIPC installed (of course) and none of us have problems because we leave the joysticks to FSX. For your mail it might seem the Huey X is not compatible with FSUIPC and that it not the case.

You're missing out on a fine helicopter!

Ok i checked one more thing i didnt think had anything to do with it and that little devel was my PC Xbox controller low and behold, but other thing if u will i like to fly with the rudder axis reversed but when i try to do it it will not reverse the axis can this be fixed, it just feels more natrual to pull my left foot back when i want to rudder left, thanks for this extrodenary aircraft:)

Of course it can be fixed, dont use a controller designed for the X-Box and one thats designed for the PC as you have found out they are not 100% compatible.

I wouldn't expect the devs to try to get my PS3 controller to work with it so I dont think they will look into anything unless its a dedicated PC controller and not console controllers.

Just because it works on the ones you had before was never a guarantee that it was going to work on everything as you now have found.

Shaun is right..

You must know that FSX doesn´t use Direct input for controllers, but has it´s own (actually very old) controller API.

This means that Xbox controllers can´t be expected to work with addon aircraft and actually make problems.

FSUIPC fixes alot of controller issues, when using it for control assignments and calibration.

But!!

Using FSUIPC for our products would mean that all users would need a registered version of FSUIPC, that would be an unfair requirement.

The Huey is designed to work with FSX without further requirement, thus our special module is build to work via FSX own controller setup.

Later today I will make a detailed description about how to setup Your controler(s) for the Huey.

I use FSUIPC for all my other aircraft, so I know about FSUIPC, but see no problem making a "special" setup for the Huey.

Best

Finn

Sorry that the links did not work, now fixed. They link to a post in this thread of course.

The issue is NOT being worked on as we decided that we would use the standard FSX default joystick tags. If your FSX is modified to divert those to other tags there might be a problem and you will have to follow the advise given in this post. Also make sure that Advanced animations is on because that could also prevent the animation.

If all fails I advise you to move the FSX.cfg to another location and let FSX build a new one the next time is starts up. That way you can be sure that all FSX behaves as a standard FSX. If you want to change the joystick axis using FSUIPC do so with the 'Aircraft Specific' option, that way you only change the aircraft that need it.

Maybe you have not read my posts. I do not have FSUIPC installed in FSX. The Microsoft Sidewinder joystick is a very compatible joystick which I have used in FSX for years.

I have re-built the fsx.cfg file. I have moved the sensitivity settings to max and null to min.

I have yaw response OK from the CH foot pedals. I do not have pitch or roll from my joystick with the Huey running.

I do have pitch & roll working fine with most other aircraft including the default Bell helicopter.

I have tried unplugging the joytstick before starting FSX.

Maybe you should think about working on this issue instead of deciding that your customers do not understand you.

Paul

• Aerosoft

So are you saying that if I use a specific profile in FSUIPC and send the cyclic, throttle and rudder etc through to normal FS controls within FSUIPC then it will function correctly? If you can guarantee (not just I think) that it works without me having to go into the FS controls interface to reassign the functions back in then I'll purchase for sure. If I buy it and it turns out it doesn't work I hope in this instance you would offer a refund otherwise I'm not prepared to take the risk. I don't want to waste my money, as reassigning controls just for one aircraft is a hassle because of all the hardware I have connected to my PC.

Well as I got no idea how you tweaked FSX there is no guarantee I can give. It's simple, we can only guarantee it will work on a standard FSX. We have seen the strangest things people changed and a lot of those make FSX simply incompatible with the SDK that we use to make out add-ons. What I can say a few hundred customers are now using the Huey X and only a few of those that have tweaked control setups have problems. As far as we know 3 persons at this moment. But until you tell me your FSX is setup in such a way that all the commands that the official SDK describe are used standard we can not guarantee. Sorry.

Maybe you should think about working on this issue instead of deciding that your customers do not understand you.

The controller must be plugged in before strating up FSX, otherwise the fligth model module will not recognize them.

shut down FSX, plug in the controller, start FSX, if it does not work, assign your controller insifde FSX and restart.

Best regards Joachim

• Aerosoft

Maybe you have not read my posts. I do not have FSUIPC installed in FSX. The Microsoft Sidewinder joystick is a very compatible joystick which I have used in FSX for years.

I have re-built the fsx.cfg file. I have moved the sensitivity settings to max and null to min.

I have yaw response OK from the CH foot pedals. I do not have pitch or roll from my joystick with the Huey running.

I do have pitch & roll working fine with most other aircraft including the default Bell helicopter.

I have tried unplugging the joytstick before starting FSX.

Paul

Paul, take it easy. I did read your mails and I never suggested you did not understand me. If I gave that impression I apologize.

The problem you have is strange. Your FSX is either:

• not displaying the animation. This can have many causes, from a lack of memory, to an incorrect Direct X, to settings in FSX (Advanced animation for example)
  • not reading the joystick in a standard way. Perhaps it a driver (the Sidewinder drivers are pretty known for that), perhaps it is something installed by another aircraft.

Now if you have reset the fsx.cfg (you can confirm that FSX behave as if it was just installed?) and do not have FSUIPC installed it means you got something on your systems that none of the hundreds of other users do not. As your issue is so similar to the problems that some FSUIPC users reported where default files of FSX were changed I suspect something the same on your system. Perhaps control.cfg.

Try this. In the Settings control menu's there are three submenu's. CALIBRATION | BUTTONS/KEYS | CONTROL AXES. There are reset default options on all of these menu's try resetting them all so we can be sure that FSX is accepting the commands correctly.

For sure do not leave the stick unplugged when you start FSX, it will then not be recognized correctly.

Let me rephrase the question then, is it a requirement like it was for the Airbus X to assign joystick controls directly through the FSX controls menu, or can I use aircraft specific profiles through FSUIPC to send the controls on to FSX. Someone on the team must know the answer to that question, Finn can you confirm its possible or not please, as I do not have any of my joysticks assigned directly in FS apart from the Hat Switch.

Great you guys like the Huey,

this bird is high on my list.

How is the Huey on the FPS? The pit with 250k polys makes me think about it.

Has the Huey a winch and a working hoist ?

cheers

Jaeger

Paul, take it easy. I did read your mails and I never suggested you did not understand me. If I gave that impression I apologize.

The problem you have is strange. Your FSX is either:

• not displaying the animation. This can have many causes, from a lack of memory, to an incorrect Direct X, to settings in FSX (Advanced animation for example)
  • not reading the joystick in a standard way. Perhaps it a driver (the Sidewinder drivers are pretty known for that), perhaps it is something installed by another aircraft.

Now if you have reset the fsx.cfg (you can confirm that FSX behave as if it was just installed?) and do not have FSUIPC installed it means you got something on your systems that none of the hundreds of other users do not. As your issue is so similar to the problems that some FSUIPC users reported where default files of FSX were changed I suspect something the same on your system. Perhaps control.cfg.

Try this. In the Settings control menu's there are three submenu's. CALIBRATION | BUTTONS/KEYS | CONTROL AXES. There are reset default options on all of these menu's try resetting them all so we can be sure that FSX is accepting the commands correctly.

For sure do not leave the stick unplugged when you start FSX, it will then not be recognized correctly.

Please accept my apologies for getting uptight. I am a huge fan of Aerosoft and have almost all of your fleet and know you will try to help.

I have done everything you have suggested and the suggestions from others. I still have the problem of no control in pitch and roll.

I have re-set all the controlers to default, shut down and restarted FSX. Everything works well with the default Cessna and the Microsoft Bell helicopter as it should.

So it would seem to me that FSX is accepting the controls properly with anything but the Huey. When I move the stick around there is the faintest of movement of the helocopter but not enough to have any control of pitch & roll.

I will try a fresh instal of the Huey and see if anything has been corrupted during the instal. I assume the Aerosoft launcher does not need to be running after the Huey is installed?

Paul

I found the problem with the joystick controls not working when I used the Huey. Seems the SAITEK USB GAMING KEYBOARD was causing the problem.

So I changed out Saitek keyboard with a spare keyboard I had laying around the house and now controls work.

I do remember having past issues with this keyboard in FS2004. Anyway, no other issues to report.

Mark

Once I've pressed shift + 2, selected 'Ready to go...' is there a quick way to get the engine running, or do I still have to follow a start-up procedure ? At the moment I'm sitting with an alarm sounding ( low RPM I think ). Pressed Ctrl+E but nothing happens.

Paul, see post #32

Yes, I'm already clicking on the lower 'Ready to go image, and the Huey is powering up electrically, but the engine remains off. Is it supposed to start ?

A nice to know answer.

I have very good FPS with that Huey and with my Saitek X52 Controller is everything fine. Realism at highest entry, very good flightfeeling. Engine off sound can be better, because Blades standin still, sound is runing. While that, switch between VC and outside, here sound is incompatible.

Ref my starting problem above;

If the Huey is the first aircraft I load after starting FSX up, I have the problem. Pressing shift+2 and clicking on the lower image just switches on the power, not the engine

If I load a Cessna 172, get that running with Ctrl+E, then switch aircraft to the Huey, she's is running fine. I can press shift+2 and click on the upper image ( everything shuts down as expected ) then click on the lower image and the engine is running, ready to fly. I can do this over and over and it works fine. Cold and dark...ready to go....cold and dark...ready to go...it all works as advertised.

So the problem only happens if the Huey is the first aircraft loaded.I bet this is an FSX problem, not a Huey one.

Let me rephrase the question then, is it a requirement like it was for the Airbus X to assign joystick controls directly through the FSX controls menu, or can I use aircraft specific profiles through FSUIPC to send the controls on to FSX. Someone on the team must know the answer to that question, Finn can you confirm its possible or not please, as I do not have any of my joysticks assigned directly in FS apart from the Hat Switch.

You need to assign the controls inside FSX

• Aerosoft

Great you guys like the Huey,

this bird is high on my list.

How is the Huey on the FPS? The pit with 250k polys makes me think about it.

Has the Huey a winch and a working hoist ?

cheers

Jaeger

Depends a bit on your system but if you load the default Bell in FSX you will get about 20% more FPS compared to the Huey X. The large amount of polygons is not an issue when it is done right.

No working winch, that can only be done with a mission, not in the helicopter itself.

• Aerosoft

Ref my starting problem above;

If the Huey is the first aircraft I load after starting FSX up, I have the problem. Pressing shift+2 and clicking on the lower image just switches on the power, not the engine

If I load a Cessna 172, get that running with Ctrl+E, then switch aircraft to the Huey, she's is running fine. I can press shift+2 and click on the upper image ( everything shuts down as expected ) then click on the lower image and the engine is running, ready to fly. I can do this over and over and it works fine. Cold and dark...ready to go....cold and dark...ready to go...it all works as advertised.

So the problem only happens if the Huey is the first aircraft loaded.I bet this is an FSX problem, not a Huey one.

Okay that indicates the startup flt you used (when it did not work) had a setting we did not anticipate. Would you be so kind to send that to support@aerosoft.com?

Should be an easy fix for us to add that parameter. One thing however, does it work okay if you press the upper image first and then the lower one? I started doing that and I never had any problems since.

• Aerosoft

A nice to know answer.

I have very good FPS with that Huey and with my Saitek X52 Controller is everything fine. Realism at highest entry, very good flightfeeling. Engine off sound can be better, because Blades standin still, sound is runing. While that, switch between VC and outside, here sound is incompatible.

I will check that again but I seem to remember that was an issue we could not solve. The sound files in FSX always have to run to the end and although the animation might have finished (for example because you applied full blade pitch to slow the rotors) the sound file just continious. But as said I will have it looked at.

Depends a bit on your system but if you load the default Bell in FSX you will get about 20% more FPS compared to the Huey X. The large amount of polygons is not an issue when it is done right.

No working winch, that can only be done with a mission, not in the helicopter itself.

Thanks for the fast reply

cheers

Jaeger

• Aerosoft

Please accept my apologies for getting uptight. I am a huge fan of Aerosoft and have almost all of your fleet and know you will try to help.

I have done everything you have suggested and the suggestions from others. I still have the problem of no control in pitch and roll.

I have re-set all the controlers to default, shut down and restarted FSX. Everything works well with the default Cessna and the Microsoft Bell helicopter as it should.

So it would seem to me that FSX is accepting the controls properly with anything but the Huey. When I move the stick around there is the faintest of movement of the helocopter but not enough to have any control of pitch & roll.

I will try a fresh instal of the Huey and see if anything has been corrupted during the instal. I assume the Aerosoft launcher does not need to be running after the Huey is installed?

Paul

Could it be you either did not install with Administrator rights or told FSX on the first start after the installation that it was NOT okay to use our gauges (note they are digitally signed and all).