Release: Huey X

• Aerosoft

Huey X Released

We are glad to announce the download release of Huey X, our second high-end helicopter. The Bell UH-1 is without a doubt the best known helicopter to most people. In production over 5 decades (!) it was the hallmark of the Vietnam War where it changed the way wars were fought. Fort the first time a highly mobile infantry allowed the complete avoidance of front lines and the rapid evacuation of wounded troops. After Vietnam the Huey became the utilitarian helicopter for most western nations and Bell created a civilian version (Bell 205A-1) that also became the widely used. To this day the characteristic whoop whoop of the two blades can be heard over battle zones and cities. Thousands still fly and most likely this will be the same for many years to come.

This product was created with assistance from several pilots of the German Bundeswehr who fly this great machine for a living. They assisted us with information to create a flight model that is without equal in FSX (using a special module that adjusts the way FSX simulates helicopters. They also explained what systems are important and that should be included. Although basic and often rather outdated the avionics are all fully functional (the Huey seems to work best with systems as old as the airframe) and most can be used as in the real helicopter. Though you will need to use the manual and the checklists to fly it realistically a system-state-save module can put the helicopter in a 'cold and dead' state or fully configured for flight.

With a price tag that is as affordable as the load on frame rates, this is perhaps the only helicopter you need.

The product page is here: http://www.aerosoft-...ueyx/hueyx.html

post-43-087346400 1296224582_thumb.jpg

post-43-051479700 1296224584_thumb.jpg

post-43-013725400 1296224587_thumb.jpg

post-43-068912800 1296224589_thumb.jpg

post-43-045471300 1296224591_thumb.jpg

post-43-021067200 1296224594_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Damned this one flies sweet. Got some hours on a Robin and I do not want to transpose that on a much bigger Huey, but this one comes closest to feeling like a helicopter then anything I flew befoe (and I got most commercial and freeware whirlybirds). Congrats!

Didn't you write a while back about a tweak for rudders? Can't find it anymore.

The modification you meant is for Saitec rudder pedals, right?

Just open them, and remove the centering pin. This gives you a far better feeling and controll. It is easy. Only tonns of screews to screw lol.

Bests Joachim

• Aerosoft

Whopp whopp whopping from heliport to heliport around Manhattan. Great helicopter, superb flight model and very easy on the framerates.

The VC is a bit dark though, any ideas on that?

Yes. The cockpit of a Huey is very dark, very low in contrast (making videos for the project was a massive problem), mainly to keep it usable with nigh vision goggles. But there is a easy solution for that.

Switch on the white dome lights. That makes is all a lot lighter. In fact it's how I fly most of the time.

Hi all,

Just got me this helo from Mathijs and wow, I am really impressed. The flight model is superb. It's quite a challenge compared to other helos I have but it is absolutely no sweat to master. Collective high range/high torque range is very sensitive, especially with a "no dead-zone" HOTAS type control setup. A delicate touch is the key to success.

For those that uses the Saitek X-65F I set up F1 with:

X=1,25 Kgf

Y=1,25 Kgf

Rudder= 1,8 Nm

You need to push on the cyclic but I fly these settings without dead-zones in the profile.

Looking fwd to the repaint kit

Thanks

Dag

Yes. The cockpit of a Huey is very dark, very low in contrast (making videos for the project was a massive problem), mainly to keep it usable with nigh vision goggles. But there is a easy solution for that.

Switch on the white dome lights. That makes is all a lot lighter. In fact it's how I fly most of the time.

Thanks, that did the trick. Stunning VC, totally usable btw and so sweet on framerates. On my system it is in fact the same as with the default Bell in FSX!

post-33946-014541500 1296230568_thumb.jp White dome light on

post-33946-080925700 1296230594_thumb.jp White dome light off

The best Huey for fsx yet, very nice on frames and the flight model is also very sound.

Fine work all round here, looking forward to seeing a repaint kit come out for it.

Cheers.

The Huey product listing "Includes military UH-1H (or German UH-1D) and civilian Bell 205 A-1 models", yet the interiors of the civilian models use the same "Bundeswehr" textures as the German Military Huey.

While I appreciate the details of these textures, in my opinion this is not appropriate for commercial civilian Bell 205's:(See picture link)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Fairfield-Police-Department/Bell-UH-1H-Iroquois/1717114/L/&sid=e388bc5e0712fdb7f595afd6b3c36a41

Most civilian models I have been in have a gray interior.

Would you please either update the interior textures to gray interiors with markings appropriate for the civilian Hueys, or include those textures in the Paint Kit so we could modify them ourselves?

Thank you.

I've spent most of today continuing my efforts to master FSX helicopter flying. I've looked up every hint and tip on the web and, rather to my surprise, I'm starting to make progress hovering the default R-22. Frustration has given way to optimism and, being so encouraged, I shall be purchasing the Aerosoft Huey tomorrow. By the looks of it, a wonderful model of an aviation icon.

:)

• Aerosoft

The Huey product listing "Includes military UH-1H (or German UH-1D) and civilian Bell 205 A-1 models", yet the interiors of the civilian models use the same "Bundeswehr" textures as the German Military Huey.

While I appreciate the details of these textures, in my opinion this is not appropriate for commercial civilian Bell 205's:(See picture link)

http://www.airliners...595afd6b3c36a41

Most civilian models I have been in have a gray interior.

Would you please either update the interior textures to gray interiors with markings appropriate for the civilian Hueys, or include those textures in the Paint Kit so we could modify them ourselves?

Thank you.

Will happen next week!

• Aerosoft

I've spent most of today continuing my efforts to master FSX helicopter flying. I've looked up every hint and tip on the web and, rather to my surprise, I'm starting to make progress hovering the default R-22. Frustration has given way to optimism and, being so encouraged, I shall be purchasing the Aerosoft Huey tomorrow. By the looks of it, a wonderful model of an aviation icon.

:)

Serious, I would stop immediate with the default helies, they got too many errors. And I assure you the Huey is easier to fly.

Will happen next week!

But not with grey interior sorry. You can change it yourself for sure, but this will not be part of the paint kit. Paint kit will contain exterior maps, and pure English cockpit markings.

Best regards Joachim

Hi,

i'm thinking about getting the Huey now, but the Screenshots are still not convince me if i should get it.

I know that it has been in development for a very long time and so i'm not sure if the VC graphics are still up to date.

I own your Seahawk already and honestly it was a big dissapointment for me, due to the VC graphics. Can you confirm that the VC of the Huey will be in a similar quality than the Airbus Xs' VC?

Also i'd like to see a few screenshots of the areas which you usually don't see while flying and which you haven't shown on a screenshot yet (like the cabin).

Thx

Emi

• Upvote 1

The cockpit is dark - so is the real Huey cockpit.

Turning on the white domelights makes it alot brighter.

Texture qulity in the Huey as much better than the Seahawk.

Finn

• Aerosoft

Hi,

i'm thinking about getting the Huey now, but the Screenshots are still not convince me if i should get it.

I know that it has been in development for a very long time and so i'm not sure if the VC graphics are still up to date.

I own your Seahawk already and honestly it was a big dissapointment for me, due to the VC graphics. Can you confirm that the VC of the Huey will be in a similar quality than the Airbus Xs' VC?

Also i'd like to see a few screenshots of the areas which you usually don't see while flying and which you haven't shown on a screenshot yet (like the cabin).

Thx

Emi

Tjee, the Seahawk was a project from seven years ago and made by totally different people. It was limited by the 64.000 limit of FS2004, this one has 7 times the polygons. It won several price and was highly appreciated for the modeling. It was in fact seen as state of the art when released. But now it is rather outdated.

I would say the Huey is close the the Airbus in modeling. But as with all the aircraft from our own development we focus very much on the view of the pilot. We really are not into virtual cabins. animated hatches that only maintenance crews open etc. Any polygon used for a toilet (as some aircraft now have) is one we rather use in the field of view of the pilot or not use to get the fps acceptable. Call us silly but we still think this is a flight simulator. I do think however the interior has some nice touches. But if you are the kind of person who puts a lot of value on wingviews, virtual cabins etc, this one might not be for you.

post-43-042845900 1296305395_thumb.jpg

post-43-044048200 1296305716_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tjee, the Seahawk was a project from seven years ago and made by totally different people. It was limited by the 64.000 limit of FS2004, this one has 7 times the polygons. It won several price and was highly appreciated for the modeling. It was in fact seen as state of the art when released. But now it is rather outdated.

I would say the Huey is close the the Airbus in modeling. But as with all the aircraft from our own development we focus very much on the view of the pilot. We really are not into virtual cabins. animated hatches that only maintenance crews open etc. Any polygon used for a toilet (as some aircraft now have) is one we rather use in the field of view of the pilot or not use to get the fps acceptable. Call us silly but we still think this is a flight simulator. I do think however the interior has some nice touches. But if you are the kind of person who puts a lot of value on wingviews, virtual cabins etc, this one might not be for you.

Well the views on the Cabin look pretty good i think.

Normally i am a simpilot who lets good graphics going about everything. That's why I own the Airbus. If the systems are simulated well than that's even better for me, if not then, well you have to live with what you get. I don't focus that much on exteriour views and such things, because they can't be seen in (real) fligth anyway. What I usually like are good graphics from the pilots point of view. As long as the cockpit is nice i don't care that much about the other things. (By the way, i have asked for the cabin images because the cabin wasn't shown in any of the screenshots on the productpage. There are a few developers who just make some of the aircraftparts in a good way and then they show just these parts on the productpage (like Wilco/feelthere), but now i see that this isn't the case with the Huey)

With that information do you think the Huey would be a good addon for me?

But not with grey interior sorry. You can change it yourself for sure, but this will not be part of the paint kit. Paint kit will contain exterior maps, and pure English cockpit markings.

Best regards Joachim

Sorry, but I really don't have the tools, skills, and ultimately the time to take on such an endeavor as changing the interior of a cockpit. :blink:

Perhaps your product page needs to be updated to clearly state the fact that the 'Huey X' only comes with a German Military marked virtual cockpit?

My apologies at being blunt, but I feel its a little misleading to folks who were interested in finally operating a civilian Bell 205 A-1 for FSX, and thought it would have a correspondingly marked cockpit. :mellow:

EDIT: And don't get me wrong here everyone. I love the rest of the 'Huey X'. I think you really nailed the Flight Dynamics, for example. :D

• Aerosoft

Well the views on the Cabin look pretty good i think.

Normally i am a simpilot who lets good graphics going about everything. That's why I own the Airbus. If the systems are simulated well than that's even better for me, if not then, well you have to live with what you get. I don't focus that much on exteriour views and such things, because they can't be seen in (real) fligth anyway. What I usually like are good graphics from the pilots point of view. As long as the cockpit is nice i don't care that much about the other things. (By the way, i have asked for the cabin images because the cabin wasn't shown in any of the screenshots on the productpage. There are a few developers who just make some of the aircraftparts in a good way and then they show just these parts on the productpage (like Wilco/feelthere), but now i see that this isn't the case with the Huey)

With that information do you think the Huey would be a good addon for me?

Yes I do. It is really what we focused on most of all. I think I got all commercial helicopters and most of the high end freeware (some are really good) and I think this one is the best in modeling. Now beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am far from unbiased (:rolleyes:) but I think we got it right. So many small tricks there. Just take the speedo and notice how it jerks around at low speed. That's what the real thing does and it took rather a lot of code to replicate that behavior.

• Aerosoft

Sorry, but I really don't have the tools, skills, and ultimately the time to take on such an endeavor as changing the interior of a cockpit. :blink:

Perhaps your product page needs to be updated to clearly state the fact that the 'Huey X' only comes with a German Military marked virtual cockpit?

My apologies at being blunt, but I feel its a little misleading to folks who were interested in finally operating a civilian Bell 205 A-1 for FSX, and thought it would have a correspondingly marked cockpit. :mellow:

EDIT: And don't get me wrong here everyone. I love the rest of the 'Huey X'. I think you really nailed the Flight Dynamics, for example. :D

Well, of all the models in the project the German can only be considered unsuitable for the South African aircraft. All the others are German aircraft and the German cockpit is rather suitable there. Next week we'll have the repaint kit, that will contain additional textures that have the German markings removed. I am sure that we'll see a load of additional repaints soon after.

I´m very emused to have a dark cockpit :lol: One quest, with downloading the Huey i get 3 paints is it right? There is no white Huey like your screenshots.

• Aerosoft

I´m very emused to have a dark cockpit :lol: One quest, with downloading the Huey i get 3 paints is it right? There is no white Huey like your screenshots.

Sure there is.

The military versions are shown under Aircraft | Military Rotorcraft while the civil versions are under Aircraft | Rotorcraft. Bit uncomfortable but we did not know how to do it any other way.

Just took my first night flight. What a nice lighting...

post-33946-086871600 1296321427_thumb.jp

Question though... you can change the attitude (?) of the artificial horizon. How exactly would this be used? You get to a steady cruise (90 knots and 1,5 thingies on the torque meter) and then put the horizon in the center?