DHC-6 Twin Otter floatplane moving at idle in water.

DaveL

Hello,

My DHC-6 Twin Otter floatplane moves forward in the water while the throttles are at idle in FSX. The overhead shows the throttles position at idle, gauges are: GG RPM 69%, Prop RPM 54%.

If I run the reverser it will stop (or go backwards) but after returning the throttles to idle the plane will eventually start moving foward in the water again.

Do I have something wrong? Is this expected behavior from the DHC-6?

Thanks, Dave

Thanks. I think my throttle calibration is OK. I don't have issues in other planes. Maybe I am wrong? If the calibration was wrong, wouldn' the overhead show the throttle position other than idle?

Dave

Sounds like your throttle control needs to be calibrated. ;)

I assum you have a hardware throttle.Try holding F1..If you see the throttles moving further into idle position,and the plane stops moving,then your throttle sensativity is too high.

Whilst in the sim press Alt > Options > Setting > controls > Select your hardware int the drop down menu and play with the sensativitys.

Thanks for everyones help. I now understand.

For anyone who may be struggling with the same problem, here is my offer to help. It may not be technically correct, but it works for me.

I use the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke system. I am used to the red lever controlling the mixture. On the DHC-6, the red lever does not control the mixture. In the DHC-6 my red lever controls what the manual calls the "Fuel Levers". I did not make any adjustments to my axis settings. In other forum posts, the fuel levers are called Condition Levers (CL). The manual states that levers move a long way, they actually have only two settings: Off when pulled fully back and On in all other positions. It seems that this is not accurate. The Fuel Levers control the fuel flow at idle. They will cut off the engines if moved to zero, but above zero it will "fine tune" the idle RPM.

With my black "throttle" lever at zero (called the Power Lever in the manual) and my red "fuel lever" at 100% my propeller RPM will indicate around 50%. When I move my red fuel lever to 25%, the propeller RPM indicates around 20%. This makes all the difference in keeping the plane from moving. As noted in other posts like this one: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=39740&st=0&p=263855&hl=+condition%20+lever&fromsearch=1&#entry263855 the red fuel lever affects only the idle, so there are no worries about starving the engine during normal flight if you forget to move it back to 100%.

Hope this helps!

Dave