Abbreviations..

Spud

Hi All,

I've done a search and couldn't find a topic on Abbreviations. For those of us who aren't as cluey, including myself here, :rolleyes: wouldn't it be nice if someone could compile a list of abbreviations for better understanding of the terms. EG: CTD at the end of a flight - now I've got no idea what that means ?

I know that it would be a mammoth task for anyone willing to take it on but it would surely help myself and those not familiar with these terms.

Cheers Spud

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi All,

I've done a search and couldn't find a topic on Abbreviations. For those of us who aren't as cluey, including myself here, :rolleyes: wouldn't it be nice if someone could compile a list of abbreviations for better understanding of the terms. EG: CTD at the end of a flight - now I've got no idea what that means ?

I know that it would be a mammoth task for anyone willing to take it on but it would surely help myself and those not familiar with these terms.

Cheers Spud

Hi Spud,

CTD = Crash To Desktop

Means FSX crashes and closes without any warning and you find yourself back at your PC's desktop ;)

Greets from Germany to (at the moment really) Down Under

Thank you mopperle for your reply. I would never have guessed that one and it's so simple once it's explained.

Thank you for your greetings and there are many people here in Australia going through some tough times at the moment. Floods on our East coast and drought and fires on our West coast. :( It's nice to know that there's people on the other side of the world thinking of us.

Thank you mopperle for your reply. I would never have guessed that one and it's so simple once it's explained.

Thank you for your greetings and there are many people here in Australia going through some tough times at the moment. Floods on our East coast and drought and fires on our West coast. :( It's nice to know that there's people on the other side of the world thinking of us.

Anytime you need to know an abbreviation, just ask. The fact that you are asking will also assist the 100 or so other forum visitors who don't have the cojones to admit they don't know either... :D

I work in an industry where no-one knows all the mnemonics and abbreviations and there are constant mistakes and confusion because of it.

OTOH, you can ROFL at the SSOB's who can't get their FLAPS around how to GOOSE A CAT... -_-

• Upvote 4

Good suggestion there Snave so now can you all please explain what you have just said to me ? :P:lol: It's actually a good idea and I'm not embarrassed to ask and hope it does help others.

Cheers Spud

Good suggestion there Snave so now can you all please explain what you have just said to me ? :P:lol: It's actually a good idea and I'm not embarrassed to ask and hope it does help others.

Cheers Spud

GOOSE A CAT

Gauges/Fuel;

Oil Pressure Gauge;

Oil Temperature Gauge;

Seat Belts;

Emergency Locator Transmitter;

Airspeed Indicator;

Compass;

Altimeter;

Tachometer

(pilot's day VFR safety check)

Aircraft abbreviations listed HERE

and Mnemonics HERE

• Upvote 1

My experience is you don't learn the acronyms, you learn the process, then use the mnemonics as an aide-memoire.

After all, would you know what OssumPizzle (OSMPSL) was unless I told you? (don't worry: it's not an aviation one...) :D

• Upvote 1

lol, lol, lol !! No I don't know what that means Snave but I bet it's something really interesting.

Matt, I'm going to look that one up mate. :lol: See if I can come back with the answer.

Nope, it's to do with motorcycling...

Observation

Signal

Move into

Position

Speed

Lifesaver

See, it's not just aviating that has abbreviations for everything...! :unsure: And don't get me started on the marine industry or telecoms...! :lol:

• Upvote 1

You're quite right Snave. Abbreviations are used in a lot of areas. My nieces often send me text messages that I can't understand as they use that text language. Myself being of the old school and brought up using slate and crayon just can't get my head around it. Were has the everyday English language gone ? :(

Matt, I think I've worked out BUMFINCH !

Base

Underwear

Mayhem

Feeling

Input

Near

Critical

Horseballs

1funny.gif

Still working on the others. :P

oooops, seems I got this one wrong and it took me ages to find what I thought were the right answers. 5.gif:lol: :lol: Matt, your link has now lead me in the right direction. For that, I can only say thank you. I really hope that I haven't spoilt your screen with those coffeee stains but did think that I was on the right track at the time. 2tongue.gif

What, you got me looking at Google images all night and it's nothing to do with birds? :beatcomputer_s::D

MSM...

Make Simon Money.

It would certainly make my world happier! :lol:

Mirror

Signal

Manoeuvre

?

• Upvote 1

Hey Matt, I hope that at least, I've given you a very happy day if you know what I mean. lol, lol, lol. 1.gif

Sir Snave my mate, I like the sound of make some money ! It's something I could sure do with lol. I like that one better than your second choice. 1.gif I don't know if I'm learning much but must say that I'm enjoying this thread. Keep me posted my friends.

Cheers Pierre

What I've learned from the thread so far:

1. Samsung LCD screens are very resilliaint to coffee!

2. Simon would like more money.

3. Smutty jokes get funnier as you get older.

LOBNH - a very apt one for some people lol

PAFO - My paramedic friend (yes shock horror I have real friends too lol) uses this in work a lot. Its also something I do pretty often too lol.

UBI and UDI - they happen to the best of us.

• Upvote 1

You're quite right Snave. Abbreviations are used in a lot of areas. My nieces often send me text messages that I can't understand as they use that text language. Myself being of the old school and brought up using slate and crayon just can't get my head around it. Were has the everyday English language gone ? :(

Matt, I think I've worked out BUMFINCH !

Base

Underwear

Mayhem

Feeling

Input

Near

Critical

Horseballs

1funny.gif

Still working on the others. :P

Damn because of u i fell of my chair...laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif