Airbus X - GO or NO GO?

neu

Gents,

I've read a lots of reviews, comments on the Airbus, there are more than I could read out there. This baby seems to be the best looking birdie as of today in terms of external details and since I'm very art minded, it counts a lot. But on the other side, I also like to fly more complex aircraft than the simple ones. I'm not saying that I want to simulate emergency procedures, and deal with the wheel break temperature and stuff, but starting and flying from cold and dark using the normal procedures is something I'm definitely interested to. Now, here I'm a bit confused. I know that this aircraft has the capability to load up different panel states, including cold and dark, but I've read several comments about batteries being discharged too early, the inability to switch on ground power so APU has to be started earlier than it would be normal and so on. Also I've heard that FMC is also simplified not only in terms of complexity but even basic functions like entering Runways for example. I've seen a lots of remakrs on these, debates, but I don't know what is tru, what isn't especially since there were several updates since the initial appearance of this product. I'm not looking for full simluations, but these features are part of the regular usage, so I'm very interested on these and others as well.

Unfortunatelly - just like in the case of many expensive addons - there is no Demo available to evaluate this product before I've spend my hardly earned money on this, so advices from the ones using it would be much appreciated! I can see that it's lighter on FPS than Captain Sim for example, but I want to know how buggy is it and if the initial issues - especially the ones I'm referring to above - have been fixed in the latest update! If so, I'll go and buy it for sure!

And by the way I've always been a Boeing guy, so it'd be a huge step for me :D

Greetings, neu

Well,

The FMGC in this Airbus is really simplyfied. You'll need to fly SIDs and STARs by hand using the airport charts, and with that the calculation of the TOD isn't precise enough if you use a STAR.

But in my opinion the Airbus X is a good product if you just want to follow the normal OPS. It has almost everything you need for a nomal flight i think.

The only BUGs i know are that you have to be very carefull when landing it due to a Fly By Wire problem. Another Bug is that you can't use the Chrono button above the ND. You have to use the "normal" clock in the 'Bus.

One other thing which isn't a bug but which i just want to mention: The copilots instruments aren't showing as much as the captains and they are very simplified. Same for the copilots FMGC. It only shows the 'PERF' page of the current flightstage.

Also the "TERR ON ND" switch can be pressed and it illuminates, but sadly there isn't a functioning terrain radar included, and so that background of the ND will keep it's original colour :'(

In my opinion you can deal with the bugs which are still there and you can fly the Airbus once you are used to it.

It isn't that difficoult and i'm sure it's worth a try.

And yes, the graphics are super! Every tiny thing is modelled and the frames are even better than on FSXs default Airbus. Where i get about 20FPS with the CS767 i'm getting about 40 with the Aerosoft 'Bus.

So i'd give the Airbus a try. In my opinion (And i fly the CS and even very complex things like PMDGs) it's worth it and the system depth is also 'ok'

Regards

Emi

Hey Emi,

Thanks for the reply! Sounds reasonable! What do you mean on "The only BUGs i know are that you have to be very carefull when landing it due to a Fly By Wire problem."...sounds scary if I think about the cases when after a 2 hours flight something is going terribly wrong and it's not even my fault :) Can you comment on the External Power thingy? Is it something that has been fixed, or APU workaround has to be used?

You know, since I'm a Boeing guy generally it's hard to learn something new if unexpected things are happening, especially if I cannot judge if it's my fault or there is a bug :) The PMDG 474 is actually a very complex aircraft as you know, but still it's fun, predictable and stable. I really want to give a try to the Bus especially since the PMDG 737 for FSX is still not out yet...

Greetings, neu

I cant comment directly...but i would say that the Airbus forum speaks for itself.

Far,far,far! too many people having problems,of all kinds (not all the same, but every,single, system..Flaps,brakes,spiolers,throttle,FMC,and no the external power isnt sorted) and almost like Aerosoft doesnt know the forum exists!

As for the FMC, I can say that for me, PMDG products are far more complex than I like and the default aircraft are much to simple for me. CS aircraft are just about on the level that I'm on complexity-wise. I also want to say that even if Airbus X is slightly less than your demands are for the FMC and whatnot, the visual model (Both exterior and interior) most definitely make up for it. I have very high demands for a good visual model and I wouldn't change a thing about how the thing looks. The ONLY changes I would make would be a more dramatic suspension and for the aircraft's autobraking systems to be less powerful. (The plane really doesn't need much runway at all to come to a full stop on a runway). I very rarely ever need reversing thrust (although I use it because it's fun!)

I think anyone who doesn't 100% demand complete FMC modelling would love this plane. Oh and I am a Boeing man as well, but the Bus is still a beauty to me!

Hope this helps - hope you buy this plane, it'll most definitely be worth it.

-Matt