The Weekly Challenge Thread Updated for 12/02/11

Matt_Smith

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does this navaid does this final heading put you on?

Assuming the semi circular rule what altitude should you be flying for the second and penultimate legs?

Confused.com :wacko:

1 is obviosly a typo( even reading between the lines i cant make out what it should say)....But semi circular rule??....new 1 to me :lol:

Good point Luke, read as what navaid does this last heading put you on. Simples when you know how.

As for the semi circular rule google it ;)

Edit: I could have been an arse and used the quadrantal rule :P

In the interests of fairness....

The Semi Circular Rule

• Eastbound - Magnetic Track 000 to 179° - odd thousands
  • Westbound - Magnetic Track 180 to 359° - even thousands

The Quadrantal Rule

• Magnetic Track 000 to, and including, 089° - odd thousands of feet
    • Magnetic Track 090 to, and including, 179° - odd thousands plus 500 ft
    • Magnetic Track 180 to, and including, 269° - even thousands of feet
    • Magnetic Track 270 to, and including, 359° - even thousands plus 500 ft

Do u know how to put text into the kneeboard notes section??

Purchase post-it notes, write ones notes down. Either, stick to ones knee, or stick to ones screen where once was ones FSX knee board.

In all seriousness, not a clue :lol: Personally I use post-it notes (other brands of self adhesive paper are available) and stick them to my yoke, or my screens. When I run out of space to stick stuff I remove some of the older notes I'd made :unsure:

Edit and fly aircraft with 2 x nav radios. Less frequencies to forget then

Yes I know, try doing it in a crampt C152 in turbulent air over kent while doing your PPL skills test; planning your diversion on the fly and then worst of all trying to calculate your eta. No kidding flying turns your brain to mush and gives you the mental arithmetic skills of a 5 year old :lol:

Of course you do get used to doing that after a while

Righty ho then, this week's challenge which will run until next weekend. Hope your all ready for this...

Sure Matt. I finally got time to fly the challenge. Never flew to exact lat/long coordinates like that before. Very fun. My flight analysis looked like a sewing thread after a cat played around with it for an hour or so. But I did manage to get some views below me, and hope its consistent with your ideas Matt.

Depart from everyone's favourite airport and fly to N47°44.10' E11°14.97'. From this position fly the 192 radial of the EUR VOR for 51 nautical miles. Then turn left heading 146°, after 30 nautical miles on that heading what are we overhead?

LIPB - Bolzano airport

From here fly to N46°32.07' E9°53.03'. What are you overhead?

LSZS - Samedan airport

Now fly a heading of 001° for 65 nautical miles, then turn a heading of 090°. What navaid does this final heading put you on?

Andras (ANF) VOR

Assuming the semi circular rule what altitude should you be flying for the second and penultimate legs?

Good luck and I hope you radio nav is up to scratch, it should keep you busy for a good hour or so :lol:

My answers to your challenge - in red.

Ole

Well done Ole. I'll give you 63% :D

The two airports are correct, I hope you did touch and goes while you were there

I was acrtually looking for the runway 9 ILS, although ANF VOR is also correct just not as correct so 1/2 for that one.

You didnt mention what altitude you should be flying on the penultimate leg so nil points there.

Well done Ole. I'll give you 63% :D

The two airports are correct, I hope you did touch and goes while you were there

I was acrtually looking for the runway 9 ILS, although ANF VOR is also correct just not as correct so 1/2 for that one.

You didnt mention what altitude you should be flying on the penultimate leg so nil points there.

Matt.... Please.... I HAD the runway at Andras Field first, BUT you wrote NAVAID, and in my terminology that is not a runway but a VOR/NDB.

Hm.... I actually did not do touch and goes, as you said - "whats below us?"

Hm.... And I really thought I was perfect on this one. Ill do better next time.

Here are a few pics of the event.

screenshot0.JPG

screenshot3.JPG

screenshot4.JPG

screenshot8.JPG

screenshot9.JPG

screenshot5.JPG

My marking is hard but fair :P

Nicve pictures too, and much kudos for doing it in a DC-3

Ok i accept your ruling, although 'i had no way of knowing if it was one or the other... laugh.giflaugh.gif

But i contest yout math Matt.ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

If the challenge is a three part thing, then the two airports should give 2/3´s or 66.6% plus half of the third, or 16.6. In my book thats 83% wink.gif

But maybe its simply -20% for not doing touch and goes.....tongue.giftongue.gif

And thanks for your remark about aircraft. I need every chance to use that old beaut.smile.gif

Its four parts :P

Part 1 and 2 the airports.

Part 3 the navaid

and

Part 4. Excuse me while a quote myself lol

Had a go lastnight.

Departing andras field

ch1zu.jpg

Enroute to 1st waypiont, notice the strange crack ( i have this both sides of andras field- few miles to the east, and west)

ch2tx.jpg

ch3y.jpg

EUR VOR R192 for 51 NM,left turn to 146° for 30 NM brought me here, bolonzo.

ch4o.jpg

Fuel is getting low, need to make a stop, spotted the VOR on approach...

ch5.jpg

Fueled up, ready to go to the next waypiont

ch6l.jpg

Enroute N46° 32 / E9° 53.

ch7h.jpg

ch8e.jpg

ch9m.jpg

Ahh thats what we're looking for :) Samdan

ch10e.jpg

From here, turned to 001° for 65NM, whitch led me to the final 90° right turn,lining up nicely for RWY 09 Andras field, and tuned 109.55 ils 5° GP 089° track.

ch11.jpg

Semi-circular rule :

From samdan, heading 001°, i should of been at a odd number of thousands of feet

Turning right to 090°, i should have been at odd number of thousands of feet +500 ( i chose 5500ft and followed the GP in )

I think..:D:P

Great challenge Matt, cheers!

OK then nice work Luke, I can see Im going to have to make the next one even harder still :lol:

Lukes scores:

both airfields = 2

Naviad = 1

Flight level rules = 1

I make that a perfect 100%