FSX reverted to Demo mode

simbug

Hello All.

I have an unusal problem with my FSX deluxe[no acceleration] using XP on computer.

I resistered FSX[this has been proven by MS support already-but they do not have an answer for this problem]

Then over some months I added many addons[aircraft-scenery etc] and 3rd party programs[winchX--CumulusX-AIcarriers etc]

However now I can only run the sim for apx 30mins[it says thank you for viewing FSX Demo Blah-Blah-Blah] (an apx 20GB Demo????, thats about what seize my FSX is now)

It does not ask me to activate the sim at finish!

It also does not ask me to activate at start-up!

Been in contact with MS FSX support numerous times, but no solution to this problem.

Please, does anybody know how to get FSX to ask me to ask me to registor again?

[everybody seems to think this will solve the problem]

BUT, having lots of extra stuff in the sim now--I do NOT want to re Install again just to get activation.

[As I will probably loose lots of addons and the 3rd party programs will usually not re-connect to FSX without lots of setup time[i do not have the time in the next few months to redo all the addon work] I would rather leave it in Demo mode.

Thanks, S

• Deputy Sheriffs

Have you checked to ensure you're not somehow running "Kiosk" mode? Kiosk mode is a separate executable (kiosk.exe) which you'd normally have to use on purpose, but you know how PCs can sometimes switch shortcuts to some other file that what you want. Try starting FSX from windows explorer and use the FSX executable to make sure.

This would be incredibly rare, but it's worth the couple of minutes to try.

Have you checked to ensure you're not somehow running "Kiosk" mode? Kiosk mode is a separate executable (kiosk.exe) which you'd normally have to use on purpose, but you know how PCs can sometimes switch shortcuts to some other file that what you want. Try starting FSX from windows explorer and use the FSX executable to make sure.

This would be incredibly rare, but it's worth the couple of minutes to try.

Hello Herman.

Thanks for your reply.

I looked in the FSX folder and see the Kiosk startup Icon is orange- mine is blue on desktop.

Tried starting FSX from the main folder, but still it still says Demo mode.[from the Help/About FSX dropdown menu in the game]

I also have no Kiosk cfg file in my Application Data/Microsoft/FSX folder [just the normal FSX.cfg file.

Thanks, S

Outside chance this might just be a registry corruption - you could try the Flight 1 registry repair tool, however if that doesn't work then a repair install but being clever about it should fix it without disturbing your existing addons:

1: Rename your existing FSX folder to FSXOriginal.

2: Run a repair install of FSX to the original location, including SP1 and SP2. This will create a fresh, virgin installation of FSX at the same location.

3: Run it once, to enable activation

4: Rename the fresh installation to `FSX Default` and the original installation back to its original name. As it is the same version, the activation should still work.

If that doesn't work, then rename the exe.dll file in the separate C:/drive folder (same location as FSX.cfg) big installation to exe.dll.OLD and copy over the one from the default installation. This will likely cause some addons to stop working, but you can always reinstall that.

What has most likely happened is that one of you addons has corrupted the exe.dll. This cannot easily be fixed except by uninstalling and reinstalling the addon. So you're heading for a full reinstallation if the above tip doesn't work.

Thanks Snave.

I'll get through those options in the next few days[working for a while now]

Hope not to re-install though.

Maybe if I copy it all-delete the origional and reinstall the copy? [i guess the corrupt file will still be there]

But maybe it will ask me to re-registor.

Regards. S

Outside chance this might just be a registry corruption - you could try the Flight 1 registry repair tool, however if that doesn't work then a repair install but being clever about it should fix it without disturbing your existing addons:

1: Rename your existing FSX folder to FSXOriginal.

2: Run a repair install of FSX to the original location, including SP1 and SP2. This will create a fresh, virgin installation of FSX at the same location.

3: Run it once, to enable activation

4: Rename the fresh installation to `FSX Default` and the original installation back to its original name. As it is the same version, the activation should still work.

If that doesn't work, then rename the exe.dll file in the separate C:/drive folder (same location as FSX.cfg) big installation to exe.dll.OLD and copy over the one from the default installation. This will likely cause some addons to stop working, but you can always reinstall that.

What has most likely happened is that one of you addons has corrupted the exe.dll. This cannot easily be fixed except by uninstalling and reinstalling the addon. So you're heading for a full reinstallation if the above tip doesn't work.

Thanks everybody for help so far[still trying things]

Paul G, & maddz 737[thanks for the folder image and directions] as they say-a picture's worth a thousand words.

However when I click or double click on the activate.exe, it starts to process for a few seconds, then stops and nothing else happens.

Is there a way to force the activate.exe open with DOS[run] in my XP.

Regards, S

• 2 weeks later...

Well it gets more interesting.

Tried a reinstall after renaming the first FSX to FSX Origional.

Now my 2nd disc will not install after the first[it runs for a few seconds then all stops and nothing more happends.

Is there a way to force the 2nd disc to start loading?

Thanks.

Regards, S