JSGME and FSX

Bulau

Has anyone ever used, or thought to use, the Jone-Soft Generic Mod Enabler with FSX to handle add-ons and similar files or folders? Essentially, it's not much different than manual drag-and-drop with overwrite, but JSGME makes it easier to manage, and name, what you're dragging and dropping, plus it keeps track of what's been overwritten so you can undo it.

It occurred to me that if might be useful for handling various copies of GPS-NAV.dat and LNAV_polar.dat. I know that the FSZwever Viewer 2 tool handles thise files quite admirably, but suppose you spent some time making some tasks for the CAISet gauges that you want to use again? The JSGME seems a simple way to keep on hand a number of different versions of these files, named descriptively, and activate them with a couple of mouse clicks.

It could also be used to activate and deactivate any number of add-on aircraft, so you can keep your FSX install pared down to the bare minimum of what you normally fly, but add something back in with a few clicks.

I came across JSGME for the first time a year go installing 'Silent Hunter 5' mods, and it was clear it was potentially applicable to FSX as it just moves files around and most FS installs (scenery, planes) are just drag and drop folders already provided in the right layout. But I'm guessing there's a lot more FS users (and mods) than in SH5 but for whatever reason JSMGE has never been adopted (I haven't even heard of anyone trying it). Maybe the main reason is that FS addons are mostly inherently self-contained i.e. the (N+1)th aircraft is very unlikely to shag up the N you have already installed. Even the use of a shared 'Gauges' folder has disappeared as XML gauges are always (risky statement disclaimer) embedded in the addon SimObject folder.

B21