A new Years Challange

Matt_Smith

Ok its simple really. We need a round the world tour planning. The tour must start and finish at Andras Field. I want to be able to fly round the globe ( I dont care which way you choose to go, either east or west) visiting only airports that are available in the Aerosoft Download shop. I want legs to be roughly in the range of a DC-3 so that according to google is 1303nm or 2414km.

For expample:

EAFS - Mega Airport Oslo-Gardermoen X - 752nm

Mega Airport Oslo-Gardermoen X - One of the Icland X aiports - 742nm ish.

You get the idea

More to follow later.

• Deputy Sheriffs

visiting only airports that are available in the Aerosoft Download shop.

This will be difficult, as there are not much Aerosoft airports between Dutch Harbour and the Maledives except Hongkong.

I did a similar tour a while ago based on a trip two pilots from the Indian Airforce made some years ago in a small Cirrus. The (very informative) website is down at the moment. But I attach a Google file so you can see route I took

Thanks for the FIle Otto. It will indeed be difficult, but thats what makes it so much more fun

Edit: You may also want to consider the DC3's crusing speed too. A 1000nm flight will take approx. 10 hours :o

:o hmmmm theres no way on this planet i could fly for 10 hours straight! :lol:

Just been looking at ''around the world in 80 flights'', and it comes with a electa glide, similar to the D-Gonowhere_quicksy-3, whitch sounds fun, but obviosly costs money.

So im very intrested in this, altho i dont know how it will work out having to do such a long flight in the small amount of time we have in the evenings, but we have weekends :) too.

DC3 cruise is about 150knots? im guessing.Or maybe, blow the cobwebs out of the WOP B17 exhuast pipes :P think iv had 200knots out the oild girl :huh:;)

Anyway, great idea matt, im sure we've all dont it before but i done it alone..would be so much more fun as a group online :)

No not at all, it just makes its a bit easier when planning places to visit. But having said that, owning Lukla would definately help.

Edit: Really the only Aerosoft addon you must have is Andras Field

I have thought about this challenge for awhile now and would like to tag along. Since I am both new to this forum and new to how the club fly's/operates, this may be a good time to learn.

I suppose I will have to download a number of additional aircraft and airports...??

Cheers!

DB

(USAF_CC)

I have thought about this challenge for awhile now and would like to tag along. Since I am both new to this forum and new to how the club fly's/operates, this may be a good time to learn.

I suppose I will have to download a number of additional aircraft and airports...??

Cheers!

DB

(USAF_CC)

No not at all. So long as you have Andras Field you are able to start and finish the tour. The aircraft to use havent been decided yet. However one of which will be the DC-3. The rest will be a choice from various different types, like twin engine piston, twin engine turboprop, twin engine jet etc. So every aircraft type will be covered by the default FSX aircraft, or should you so choose any of the many addon aircraft that fit the bill. As for addon scenery/airports, you shall be able to complete the tour with out them, with Andras FIeld the exception.

No prob! I am all over and deeply entrenched in Andras Field, as a solo player at this point. Think I got the hang of the patterns and taxiways.

Will be online starting next week.

DB

(USAF_CC)

No not at all. So long as you have Andras Field you are able to start and finish the tour. The aircraft to use havent been decided yet. However one of which will be the DC-3. The rest will be a choice from various different types, like twin engine piston, twin engine turboprop, twin engine jet etc. So every aircraft type will be covered by the default FSX aircraft, or should you so choose any of the many addon aircraft that fit the bill. As for addon scenery/airports, you shall be able to complete the tour with out them, with Andras FIeld the exception.

Its more a challange rather than competition. The main challange being the biggest aircraft you can land and take off in from some of the smaller airstrips. Yes theres a few international airports, few regionals but theres many short gravel strips in inconvenient places. It certainly will require a lot of pre-planning once I devise the rules for this.

Edit: Just as a side note, it you really wanted to you could complete all segments solely flying a the default Baron

I started my own around the world flight around half a year ago (no speedy competition but lazy fun) and got to Australia by now. It is a lot of fun - but I think I won't start all over again. I guess you may catch up with me at some point though (just watch out for a disoriented PC12) :blush:

Nice one!

Instead of going across the US I went via the Caribbean, Panama, Peru, Chile and then Island hopping across the southern Pacific (Robinson Crusoe, Easter Island, Tahiti, Samoa, New Zealand and Australia). This took me to some very nice places, but the trans Pacific legs were extremely long sometimes (around 1500 miles, just the range of the PC12 with a lucky tail wind).

the trans Pacific legs were extremely long sometimes (around 1500 miles, just the range of the PC12 with a lucky tail wind).

That made me :lol:

I've tried to keep legs as short as possible while still actually getting somewhere. Long legs (unless on a blonde woman) specially over water really dont appeal to me, plus theres only so many hours a week one a devote to flight simming. I tried cutting hours out fo work to make more time flight simming but that upset the boss lol.

Some selected shots of my journey so far - FSX has to offer some beautiful locations around the world.

Just to make you want to start all the more ;)

Have a nice trip!

Manuel

PS.: I can only recommend using an aircraft with some decent STOL capabilities - It really opens up the locations you can go to. And often the small airports are the nicer ones.