DG808 SOAR glider

simbug

A big thank you, [bert de Bruin, Ian Forster-Lewis, Peter Luerkens] for the update on the Default DG808.

I only just found it!!

Not want to seem like a whinger already about free stuff, but has Yawstrings gone out of fashion?

No, really, does the full seize gliding world not use them much now?[i've always used them-showing my age now]

Reagrds, S

has Yawstrings gone out of fashion?

thanks --- I couldn't remember whether the FSX dg808s has a yawstring or not so checked a couple of youtube videos... I guess it hasn't! In R/L soaring yawstrings are as popular as ever.

Otherwise the DG808S is pretty good - I collected info together re the new instruments onto a webpage here:

Modified SOAR DG808S info

If you like the updated DG808S, you might like the model of the ASW28 updated with pure FSX instruments similar to the SOAR DG808S, a new flight file (adjusted from the SOAR DG808S flight file) and added a new yawstring as a proper FSX XML gauge:

ASW28 for FSX info

Maybe it's possible to put the yawstring from the ASW28 into the DG808S - it's just an XML gauge.

B21

Maybe it's possible to put the yawstring from the ASW28 into the DG808S - it's just an XML gauge.

The MS-DG hasn't a yawstring, although the SDK allows an entry in the aircraft.cfg for it. The xml-gauge will only work in 2D-panels. In 3D you can put it only where space is reserved on the panel texture bitmap. At this time the only possible place would be the compass.

best regards,

Peter

In general the XML yawstring will work in 3D panels, but there has to be a defined 3d model texture to draw it on to. The ASW24 (and ASW15) have been modelled with a 3D texture in the right place for the yawstring. The DG808S has $...panel_1 and $...panel_2 vcockpit areas defined but from memory I think neither of these extends above the panel into the area a pilot would expect to view a yawstring, so without modifying the model we're stuffed (I wouldn't bother with a '2D yawstring' in a window...). (Maybe I should guess a $...panel_3 texture and see if that appears??)

I don't think we ever got any info on what the 'yaw_string_available' aircraft.cfg parameter was supposed to do apart from giving a clue that the DG808S was intended to contain a yawstring once (presumably it went the same way as the compensation in the vario...)

B21

November 2008 I wrote a topic on how to implant Max Roodveldt's yawstring into the DG.

It works in 3D with limitations, see my explaination: http://www.forum.aer...showtopic=24626

Bert

thanks Bert - I did read that post... displaying the yawstring in a 2D 'overlay' window has too many limitations for me (but I've never actually tried it).

I do think the XML yawstring in the ASW28 is a sensible FSX update replacing Max's dll though and your instructions are equally valid.

B21

Thanks Bruin.

Got Max's yawstring working in the DG808S with your advise there.

It looks best in 2D mode [in landing view].

But the 3D view is good too.[pity about having to turn it on for each time in 3D view--I mostly fly 3D view anyway]

I'll try to add it to a few other gliders with no yawstrings[i will need to adjust its position sometimes I guess]

Hopefully more XML stuff will come out to make in the near future.

But I know there are only a handful [if that] of FS glider designers in the world.

Its a bit like my other flying theme is ultralights and gyrocopters[finially found a good Benson gyro for FSX-I needed to add new instruments & max's yawstring--2D cockpit only]

They are Very Rare designers[i,am not one unfortunally]

Thanks also everybody for the info on cockpit development.

Regards, S