DHC 6 Misiion or Ultimate X Problem?

wingclip

Ok, so I went and bought the DHC-6 and then the DHC-6 Mission pack... NO Problems. I pretty much went through all the missions, (did not necessarily complete them all), including the first one, "Taku Lodge". In fact, I played that one at least twice. Then we fast forward a few weeks and I buy, (and download), Ultimate Alaska X and it did great. Then about a week after that I bought, (and once again downloaded), Ultimate X USA and still, all was right in the world. OK then this morning I decided to do the Twotter's Taku Lodge mission again just to see how the scenery pans out now. When the game opened up I was expecting to be in the Twotter and floating in the bay or harbor, (I forget which). But instead, my Twotter's floats are firmly planted on terra firma and the water line is about 300 yards away by my estimation. So do I have a scenery conflict that has to do with sequencing or is it that I need to disable the UTX stuff altogether when running the DHC-6 Mission pack? Of course the problem may be more serious than any of those, (I hope not). Anyone have a clue?

Alright, no takers huh? Well I just tried another DHC-6 Mission and again the waterlines were out of place. Then I tried one of the FSX begginer missions that I did way back when I first got the game. It involves the Piper J and I take off from a farm yard to fly to an airshow or airclub meet, (I forgot which). Anyway, on the way there I fly over a lake and there are some floating targets that I'm supposed to drop flour on. The problem is that EVERY lake in that game is dry as a bone! Just white sandy bottoms everywhere. I thought I even saw a DHC-2 on floats that was chained to a post a little off the coast line but it was sitting flat down on the sandy bottom of this lake! It was pretty amusing. But now that I saw that in one of the FSX missions I have to guess that the trouble is NOT with the DHC 6 mission congiuration but in fact with the Ultimate X USA terrain. So I'll move this on over to a forum blog site for UTX owners.

Thanks but let me ask you this, according to the bloggs on another site I read that if you want to run the missions you have to diable UTX altogether. So if I resequence UTX in the way you have suggested does that mean I can run all without shutting down UTX? And if so, when I resequence as in your suggestion will that mean that UTX will have no enhancing effect on any of the scenery in the missions? (I'm guessing that the answer is "yes" to both questions).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

I have the twin otter mission pack and I am having a problem with the Taku Lodge mission. I have alaska X. but, when i first loaded the otter missions and ran the taku lodge mission It placed me on dry land, a good distance from the bay. I then activated alaska x and it did the same thing. but this time i was much closer. any suggestions?

thanks Bill

Hello Rich,

If its recommended that you disable it then thats the best option as I say it moves coastlines etc around.

• 1 month later...

I really like the Aerosoft Twin Otter (although it is difficult to handle on floats) and Alaska so I intended to buy Alaska X as it seems to be the best possible scenery-add-on for that area and also intended to buy the Mission Pack. If I understand this discussion correctly this would lead to an incompatibility with the Twin Otter Mission Pack (meaning that I can only use the Mission Pack with the default scenery).

What a pity! In another discussion the user could not find the target area. Is that also a problem of the using of an add-on scenery?

Dear Aerosoft-Team: What about a patch for the AlaskaX users and other users of more accurate scenery? For the couple of missions it should not be to much work to place the plane and the target area to the correct positions (considering that it is pay ware!). Both add-ons together would be perfect entertainment for a lot of hours and maybe days...

Best regards, Till

Hello Bill,

Try disabling all 3rd party scenery in the scenery library except the Missions and see where that places you.

Thanks, Shaun for you message. What a pity! What do you mean with "believe"? Can you possibly ask the developer? Possibly they can provide a small patch for these kind of problems.

Will there be a new version of this mission pack or is there any alternative?

It might be a good idea to place a notice on the mission pack ("not compatible with add-on scenery") or some thing like that. Obviously people who buy this mission pack also buy add-ons for Alaska. I found another totally disappointed user in the German Amazon Market. He also struggled with the problem of "misplaced" sim objects. And frankly: My plan for the weekend was to download AlaskaX, REX2 and the mission pack and have some fun... I am happy I didn't do so!:angry:

So Aerosoft should fix this or mention it so that the customer can make up his mind. Otherwise Aerosoft can ruin its good reputation for software rather quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shaun,

I'm having the same problem, (stuck on dry land) and followed your steps from this thread but still no luck, I'm guessing I'm not quite getting your instructions and I'm hoping you could elaborate a little bit?

Here's the steps that I've taken:

-Under "World" in FSX I chose "Scenery Library" and ensured that all "Twin Otter Mission Pack" sceneries were above "UT Alaska" sceneries. In fact they are the first 5 Scenery Areas in that list. Clicked ok and exited FSX

-Clicked the start menu and searched for "Setup Tool" in windows and launched the "Ultimate Terrain Alaska" (ver 1.1.0) setup tool, let it validate the setup and exited.

-Relaunched FSX chose the "Taku Lodge" mission and still on dry land.

Any help appreciated

Gary

Gary, are you also using UTX Canada? As I found with UTX Canada that it "dried up some of the water runways in that region. In the setup tool make sure you have HP1 Large Water Bodies, HP2 Meduim Water Bodies active along with HL1 Large Water Bodies Coastline and HL2 Medium Water Bodies Coastline. Of course if you dont have UTX Canada ignore me :lol:

Gary, are you also using UTX Canada? As I found with UTX Canada that it "dried up some of the water runways in that region. In the setup tool make sure you have HP1 Large Water Bodies, HP2 Meduim Water Bodies active along with HL1 Large Water Bodies Coastline and HL2 Medium Water Bodies Coastline. Of course if you dont have UTX Canada ignore me :lol:

Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply! I do indeed have UTX Canada :) although I haven't tried your tweak because I've come up with another solution that may benefit other users here's how I got my plane in the water:

-I disabled UT Alaska using the the "Quick Ultimate Alaska Enable/Disable" found under "Terrain" in the "Ultimate Alaska Setup Tool"

-Fired up FSX and chose the "Taku Lodge" mission and got take off clearance and reports from my Aerosoft copilot.

-Started the Twotter engines and taxied to the center of the lake

-Went back to the "Ultimate Alaska Setup Tool" and re-enabled "Ultimate Alaska"

-Went back to FSX and chose "World" > "Scenery Library" and simply chose "OK" in the resulting "Settings - Scenery Library" dialog

Voila! Best of both worlds now! A little bit of a hassle but less than a minutes worth.

Hope this helps someone! And thanks again for your quick reply Matt, greatly appreciated!

Gary

GLad you got it sorted out - though sounds like a lot of faffing around to me lol. Its worth checking your UTX Canada settings as it takes a fraction of the time.

Hi again Matt,

:) I have indeed just tried your recommendations and sadly no bearing on the waterline issue. You are correct in saying "a lot of faffing around" but at this point I'm just happy to be able to fly the twin otter mission and have UT Alaska enabled!

Gary

Dear All,

good to see that you found a work around!

I think that Aerosoft should, nevertheless, try hard to produce a patch or update of for the mission pack. Otherwise it should be clearly pointed out that both products are not compatible with each other! :angry:

@ Shaun: Did you succeed to ask the developpers?

Best, Till