Multiplayer Success

Bulau

Encountered a few bug and glitches, but overall a successful first attempt. I first tried hosting using the Direct IP method, but my friend could not connect, so we resorted to the GameSpy interface, and that worked. We flew a little 112km triangle out of Belleville, Ontario, North to Campbellford, South to the Murray Canal near CFB Trenton then back to Belleville. Used the SOAR DG-808S with CumulusX!

Both of us had the trim glitch with the sailplane, which I reported in the DG-808 thread, so we both commented out the TrimWizard gauge in the panel.cfg and all was fine.

Another glitch was that his GPS did not pick up the waypoint from the flight plan I was hosting. Also, his towplane did not takeoff, but just sat there on the runway. Second try, he air spawned, and the towplane sat there the entire time we flew.

post-36204-058815000 1292998144_thumb.jp

post-36204-032713900 1292998216_thumb.jp

post-36204-002866500 1292998231_thumb.jp

well done - you've kind of caught up with where the rest of us got to with FSX multi-player. Without a dedicated server the key issue is that hosting a multi-player session on a arbitrary desktop means everybody crashes when that user quits.

Late in the day, FSX added multi-player *missions* and these probably provide the most functionality for a common soaring task but mission-building is a high-overhead activity and to my knowledge no-one's ever created a multi-player mission of any kind (probably because multi-player is knackered without a dedicated server...)

B21

Well, thanks to all your help, I feel I'm in a position to start experimenting with some multiplayer tasks with my brother and a couple of friends. I need to figure out why the DirectIP method is not working, perhaps a port I have forgotten to forward.

Despite the obvious problems with FSX multiplayer for soaring races, I and my flightmates have practically zero interest in flying tasks alone offline and just comparing IGC files. Even if the IGC is required to score the task, we would still want to fly the task together, communicating on Teamspeak all the while. I'm certainly not expecting to cover any new ground, but will update the forum on what we're doing.

Thanks - it'll be helpful to know info on what you got working - there are a few pilots on here who would have preferred a decent multi-player experience but we struggled. I'm guessing a lot of FSX pilots don't play other online games - I agree you need teamspeak.

CumulusX thermals are *repeatable*, online or offline, i.e. thermals are controlled entirely by the FSX clock, location and weather - from memory I think clock and weather are synchronised automatically by FSX multiplayer, hence the thermals for multiple pilots are in the same places (something you might take for granted from Condor), but let me know if you're doing something different. Note the FS2004 multiplayer soaring often has different pilots with different thermals, and FSX/CumulusX multiplayer using 3rd party utilities generally requires pilots load the same weather locally and synchronise their clocks (there's a menu option in Cx to do this) but generally they don't, so again thermals a different for different pilots - misses the point I think.

You probably know this but assuming you have a typical 'NAT' gateway on your internet connection, direct IP will use the public address of your router (i.e, the one your ISP has assigned) and you forward the FSX ports (whatever they are) to your FSX PC.

B21

Another successful multiplayer task tonight. This time, also had my brother along, so three of us flying a ridge task out of St. Johann, Austria, "High King - Wild Emperor".

And, Ian, yes, by sending my flight plan files to the other participants, they are able to load it when they join, and then had the required GPS info to navigate the task, complete with arrival heights displayed on your cambridge netto vario.

post-36204-006250800 1293592527_thumb.jp

post-36204-069695900 1293592734_thumb.jp