Aerosoft installer and Launcher

Hm,

So, as pirates will never disappear, AS will never get rid of the DRM?

Shame, I really wanted to buy some addons, but not this way.

I am just wondering, flight simulation seems to me as a business where you need every single buyer.

Can you really afford to chase away customers because you use too much DRM?

Just something, AS should think about ;)

Volker

Im sure they thought about it long and hard in the first place. How'd you like some ass hole stealing your work/income. I think you would also do anything you could to stop that happening

And lets face it, the launcher is NOT a problem, its just the moany minority people making the biggest noise.

• Upvote 1

Im sure they thought about it long and hard in the first place. How'd you like some pikey ass holes stealing your work/income. I think you would also do anything you could to stop that happening

And lets face it, the launcher is NOT a problem, its just the moany minority people making the biggest noise.

As I work as a software developer I surely would hate it seeing my work being copied. But I won't put up copy protection that is so intense, that customers tell me, they won't buy any more of my work with that.

I would appreciate to be seen as a potential customer, not a moany minority.

Just because many other people like to be under surveillance all the time and have to prove they bought the software, register, have problems, what else..., just because that situation exist doesn't mean, I have to have the same opinion, right?

I recently thought about buying the PMDG NGX manuals and then the plane when it will come out. Now I have to wait until I know how it is copy protected and perhaps I won't buy anything at all.

That is about 500-550€ that flightsim development won't get from me. And that is what I cannot understand. I am a customer, I want to buy addons, but I do not want DRM. So why not making a non-DRM version after some time?

And lets face it, in this case the launcher IS a problem.

What will be in 5 or 10 years if I wanna reinstall FSX and addons again? PSS customers cannot install their addons any more, because the company went bust. I certainly hope, that AS won't, but you will never know.

So, for anyone who bought the PSS addon, the only way to get his payed software to work is to download an illegal version. Do you honestly think that this is the way it should be?

At that point where paying customers get major disadvantages there is something very very wrong and I won't get tired to moan about until that is changed.

As I said, I WANT to buy addons, but I do not want to be controlled everywhere, right?

• Upvote 1

As I work as a software developer I surely would hate it seeing my work being copied. But I won't put up copy protection that is so intense, that customers tell me, they won't buy any more of my work with that.

I would appreciate to be seen as a potential customer, not a moany minority.

Just because many other people like to be under surveillance all the time and have to prove they bought the software, register, have problems, what else..., just because that situation exist doesn't mean, I have to have the same opinion, right?

I recently thought about buying the PMDG NGX manuals and then the plane when it will come out. Now I have to wait until I know how it is copy protected and perhaps I won't buy anything at all.

That is about 500-550€ that flightsim development won't get from me. And that is what I cannot understand. I am a customer, I want to buy addons, but I do not want DRM. So why not making a non-DRM version after some time?

And lets face it, in this case the launcher IS a problem.

What will be in 5 or 10 years if I wanna reinstall FSX and addons again? PSS customers cannot install their addons any more, because the company went bust. I certainly hope, that AS won't, but you will never know.

So, for anyone who bought the PSS addon, the only way to get his payed software to work is to download an illegal version. Do you honestly think that this is the way it should be?

At that point where paying customers get major disadvantages there is something very very wrong and I won't get tired to moan about until that is changed.

As I said, I WANT to buy addons, but I do not want to be controlled everywhere, right?

I am completly on your side.

I would like to buy the Mega Airport Barcelona. But the launcher makes me keep my money.

I think the biggest problem about the Launcher is that it sends Hadware-data to the Aerosoft server and Aerosoft doesn't want to tell us (the customers) which data is sent.

I decided for myself to by NO Add-Ons containing the Launcher untill I know what is data is sent.

• Upvote 1

• Developer

I am completly on your side.

I would like to buy the Mega Airport Barcelona. But the launcher makes me keep my money.

I think the biggest problem about the Launcher is that it sends Hadware-data to the Aerosoft server and Aerosoft doesn't want to tell us (the customers) which data is sent.

I decided for myself to by NO Add-Ons containing the Launcher untill I know what is data is sent.

Who told you, that the launcher send's any Hardware Data? Read this statement from the first Post of Mathijs:

Product Activation

The activation process gathers information on your hardware (the same as for example Windows does) and creates a "hardware key". This hardware key is stored on our server and will allow the activation to continue. If you are installing the product again, the hardware key is generated on your system again and compared to the one stored on our system. If it is the same the activation proceeds normally.

The Key give no info's about which Type of Hardware you have or which components are installed, it's only a unique key number to ident the PC. There are several API documented (I don't know which one Aerosoft use), mostly based on Serialsnumber of CPU or Bios.

• Aerosoft

Without trying to make a joke out of it, but I always wonder what kind of special secret hardware people have installed they like to keep secret. We know it's a PC and we know it runs Windows, who cares if anybody knows what kind of HD or CPU is in there? I mean many people actually ADD info on that below every post just as persons like Nils add what software they got installed.

But as Oliver explains, we only get a number that tell us nothing about what is installed.

To be honest, my problem with the DRM is not, that PC data might be transferred, it is the problem, that I have no control over the successful finish of the installation process.

To be honest, my problem with the DRM is not, that PC data might be transferred, it is the problem, that I have no control over the successful finish of the installation process.

Ouch my poor Windows told me that my Installation was not Genuine due to some little issue I had with it and then it asked me to get Genuine online.

Thats an online activation as well. So what OS are you running that doesn't require an online activation or some form of activation. The only one I know is not a Genuine Windows Installation.

I'm not accusing you of being a Pirate but you did state, "I am a person who completely boycotts online-activation, and yes, I know I am quite alone with that." So you would sooner go through all the rigmorole of phoning up a number and then wrting down a rather large number in eturn to get your Windows Genuine!

Personally I'll go for the online activation anytime, quick simple etc.

As for PSS I too got bitten by that one, but their installers were live installers.

Well, I applaud Aerosoft in taking the necessary steps to ensure that they keep developing high quality add-ons for Flight Simulator, I am surprised that they didn't do this last year, or, 2009, with their products, like some PC gaming companies, such as Activision and Ubisoft, etc, have done.

We are now in the 21st Century a world full of internet pirates, who won't go away until all gaming companies do not exist anymore and they have nothing left to pirate. This will never happen, GET USED TO IT.

Being British, we also now live in a state of perpetual anxiety, we are watched daily on CCTV, scrutinised by Governments and other institutions, treated suspiciously by many organisations for no reason, we have to accept it in life, there is nothing we can do about it, it was only a matter of time before this security issue crept into our hobbies, etc. Nearly everyone in the Western World has a computer, we all like to play on it, we have such wonderful games such as Microsoft's Flight Simulator to enjoy in our rest time. With the vast amount of piracy on the internet these days, well known, reputable, companies are now having to employ tactics to try and get around this problem to enable them to stay in business and offer us more products to enhance the enjoyment and pleasure we get out of this game.

I personally think that if people will not purchase products from Aerosoft because of the new procedures then it's your hard luck, you will miss out on all the wonderful goodies in the future and drool at the many screenshots submitted by those of us who will accept these new measures. I am not personally bothered if Aerosoft find out the size of my computer's CPU, I have far more important things in real life to worry about. If they state that no data will be sent to anyone else then, that to me is fine, I won't worry and knowing that my copy of whatever I purchase in future is legitimate, and is acknowledged by Aerosoft as being that, then I am happy. I also know that if I have any problems with any issues concerning Aerosoft in the future I can contact them and will be treated with the superb customer service that I always get from German companies, something that I cannot say I get from British ones.

I am over 50 years old, I am not very computer savvy, but, this new installer and launcher is very easy to use, it keeps all my personal information on one page so that I can read it easily and will assist Aerosoft in knowing what scenery and any other add-ons I have installed so that any relevant product service packs and patches can be offered to me accordingly, just as long as I have the option as to when I install them and they are not done automatically without asking me first. Apart from that, I am happy with the new process, keep up the good work Aerosoft.

There is one question I would like to ask.

Many of us purchase second hand PC DVD add-ons from websites such as Amazon and ebay, will this new procedure have any effect on these types of installations in the future, as I assume this new policy is just for on-line downloadable products at the present time.

Thank you.

Cheerz. Transport Steve.

• Upvote 3

What makes me laugh is that the moaning minority also have defective memories:

FSX is an online activated product... as is membership of this forum.

As indeed, is Windows.

If they truly practised what they preach they wouldn't be here, they wouldn't have FSX, and we wouldn't have to listen to the whining of this addled, befuddled, hypocritical few. `Prospective customers` my arse. `Moribund thinkers with no future in the hobby`, more like! :angry:

And it cannot be coincidence that these people make no valid contribution to the hobby, but pop up whenever the subject of online activation starts to gain coverage to drop in their cretinous - and in some cases borderline libellous - take on the issue.

If you had a meritorious posting history, and long evidence of assisting your fellow simmer, you might avoid being labelled.

As for the label: Pick one. `Nutter`; `closet pirate`; `hypocrite`; `faculty-challenged`. Any or all of these might apply.

The only label that doesn't is `valued contributor`...

A prospective customer is not a customer. Any more than the thoughts of those who haven't even used the online activation system is worth the paper it isn't printed on. As most of the decent developers use some method of online verification your lists of installed addons must be very small, so the opinions about the products are probably also underwhelming, and not worth bothering with.

So who cares what you think? Exercise your freedom of choice and go and bother someone else.

• Upvote 4

Hi,

could you please clarify something I read on some other forum (don't know where, though): It was said that the launcher checks the activation online every time I run the sim or the respective addon (meaning that the PC running FS must have a permanent internet connection).

Right or wrong?

Thanks

Boris

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi,

could you please clarify something I read on some other forum (don't know where, though): It was said that the launcher checks the activation online every time I run the sim or the respective addon (meaning that the PC running FS must have a permanent internet connection).

Right or wrong?

Thanks

Boris

Wrong

• Aerosoft

Hi,

Right or wrong?

Thanks

Boris

That's just one of the many things that are said about the launcher by people who got no idea and spread rumors. It's just stupidity.

• The protection as it is now will NEVER check online when you use our products
  • It only checks it one time during the activation and that's not when FSX runs.
  • You do NOT need to be online when you run FSX

Please if you ever see these incorrect fact, tell the posters to check and then write.

OK, thank you. But then what's all the fuss about? To me it looks that this launcher does not much more than for example the Flight1 wrapper in terms of unlocking the product. I mean, sending an individual hardware key forth and back or comparing a keyfile I received with the purchase - where's the difference? That watermark thingy? Well, if I bought the product with the intention to upload it to filesharing services because I think the publisher should not make money with it, then I would worry :rolleyes: But else? Why care about some watermark?

What remains is that privately selling the "used" software becometh difficult if not impossible. But software is not like a car, and if I really depend on money I can make with selling that software when I don't want it anymore (which is not much anyway), well, I might be better off never starting to buy any software in the first place.

Regards

Boris

• 1 year later...

Dear Somebody,

I have been trying to play my game City Bus Simulator 2010 New York. I played it three times and then it said too many registrations. I have contacted aerosoft but they haven't responded. Can somebody help me with a solution. Thank-you.

Sincerely,

Kyle W

Krwei921

Dear Somebody,

I have been trying to play my game City Bus Simulator 2010 New York. I played it three times and then it said too many registrations. I have contacted aerosoft but they haven't responded. Can somebody help me with a solution. Thank-you.

Sincerely,

Kyle W

Krwei921

Not the correct forum. Ask in the right place and I'm sure you will get Support.

Dear Somebody,

Sincerely,

Kyle W

Krwei921

Hi Kyle,

Send me the key to alejandro.diaz@aerosoft.de in order to reset it.

Regards,

Alex