US Cities X - Las Vegas / Area 51

Sasa

The last weeks LimeSim has been secretly working on one of the most requested US Cities for this series. Ladies and Gentlemen: Las Vegas!

Again we haven't limited the scenery to the cities borders but included some of the surrounding airfields and airports - or airbases in this case. Including the restricted area that contains "Area 51" and the Yucca Valley (nuclear) Test Site (check Wiki) where some nice surprises may expect you.

Some of the features include:

• Aerial image coverage (see attached Google Earth file)
  • More than 3,930 major buildings included
  • Billboards and customized palm trees along "The Strip"
  • Semi detailed scenery of "Area 51" (the guy we send there taking photos didn't come back, so we couldn't do it as detailed as we usually do ;) )
  • High resolution mesh terrain that also includes the Grand Canyon (you don't know what you missed!)
  • Major airports in and around the city are covered with new high res ground images with customized mesh terrain (no new building structures added)
    o McCarran International
    o North Las Vegas (including new east apron)
    o Henderson Executive
    o Boulder City Municipal (including new apron layout)
    o Nellis AFB
    o Indian Springs AF Aux
    o Desert Rock
    o Yucca Runway (rather new secret runway not reported in official notams)
    o Yucca Airstrip near the runway on a salt lake
    o Echo Bay
    o Perkins
  • Enhanced terrain of Yucca valley and all the surrounding salt lakes based on Landsat imagery
  • Las Vegas Speedway Heliport
  • Sound effects like downtown- and highway traffic...
  • Traffic on most major roads
  • Low price, very good value for money
  • Includes a separate Scenery Density tool

Please note that the screenshots show the scenery in development. Autogen has not been added to the aerial images yet. Apart from that the final version will be more or less the same.

LV_PreviewFull01.jpg

LV_PreviewFull02.jpg

LV_PreviewFull03.jpg

LV_PreviewFull08.jpg

Nellis AFB

LV_PreviewFull09.jpg

Las Vegas Speedway Heliport

LV_PreviewFull10.jpg

Yucca Valley Testing Site

LV_PreviewFull12.jpg

Area 51 (now officially called KXTA - Homey)

LV_PreviewFull13.jpg

Grand Canyon

LV_GrandCanyon01.jpg

USCitiesX-LasVegasArea51.kmz

• Upvote 2

Night textures:

Right. I should have seen the question coming - it's Las Vegas.

This time I have done things a but different so that it might be possible to add night textures. They won't be available in the release version though.

But I will promise you that I will have another look at creating night textures after I delivered the final version to Aerosoft Monday next week. If it turns out to be possible I will tell Aerosoft to write on the product page that night textures will be delivered in a free update within a specified time period after release. But if you don't see anything being said about it on the product page after release, there won't be a night texture update because it hasn't been possible. Sounds like a deal?

Military static aircraft...

...in Area 51 and Nellis. Already there. Just have a closer look. :)

Bests,

Sascha

• Deputy Sheriffs

Night textures:

Right. I should have seen the question coming - it's Las Vegas.

This time I have done things a but different so that it might be possible to add night textures. They won't be available in the release version though.

But I will promise you that I will have another look at creating night textures after I delivered the final version to Aerosoft Monday next week. If it turns out to be possible I will tell Aerosoft to write on the product page that night textures will be delivered in a free update within a specified time period after release. But if you don't see anything being said about it on the product page after release, there won't be a night texture update because it hasn't been possible. Sounds like a deal?

Bests,

Sascha

Phantastic idea, never expected this :D

Question about Grand Canyon: Are you doing this too? It is not included in the GE file and there is quite a good freeware by Holger Sandmann.

Mr. "Sasa,"

OK, I did see something that looked like aircraft on the ramps. But, I wasn't sure if they were 2D (Painted on the ground from the Sat. Image) or 3D static objects; and your saying that they are 3D Objects; Correct?

Next, you did not mention compatibility with FSDT's KLAS, perhaps you missed that; would you kindly try again to answer all questions?

Thank you.

PS: RE: Area 51

... (the guy we send there taking photos didn't come back, ... )
That's most likely because of the *ladies* in Vegas, shown in this picture. LOL :lol:

LV_PreviewFull03.jpg

• Upvote 2

I would think that compatibility with KLAS would be a low priority, considering this is being released without night textures and we won't know before then if they are possible. I have all the US Cities sceneries, and up until now, the lack of night textures hasn't been important to me. For Vegas, it is a deal breaker, so I'm really hoping they will be possible.

Great idea to make Las Vegas! i like the images. i think this will be my first US city.

And the grand canyon looks good! Is the Hooverdam included? picture please ^_^

But one question: on the kmz i can see only a few areas being marked in red. does that mean the not even the whole city is in the package???

OK, I did see something that looked like aircraft on the ramps. But, I wasn't sure if they were 2D (Painted on the ground from the Sat. Image) or 3D static objects; and your saying that they are 3D Objects; Correct?

Correct.

FS Dreamteam's McCarran:

I worked with this airport activated at the very beginning of the development. If course you have to be aware of some noticeable frame cuts because of the close proximity of both (city and airport) together. Not much that can be done about it because that's what Las Vegas is: A city center merged with a major airport. There are not many places left where you see a city and airport that close to each other.

• Upvote 1

And the grand canyon looks good! Is the Hooverdam included? picture please ^_^

It's just the default object. The KMZ file just marks it for people who are not aware of it being close enough for a sightseeing flight from Las Vegas.

But one question: on the kmz i can see only a few areas being marked in red. does that mean the not even the whole city is in the package???

Right. As with all US Cities we never include the vast US suburbs in the aerial images because it just doesn't make sense. There is nothing more time consuming than placing autogen objects by hand one by one considering that FSX's landclasses do a pretty good job around US Cities. Also keep in mind this is a budget scenery as said previously.

Btw: The coverage area here is larger than that of New Orleans or San Francisco.

Bests,

Sascha

With the Grand Canyon it would be great to add the complex such as the Phantom Ranch, El Torva, rafters animated on the Colorado River and include the area of Page, AZ and Lees Ferry.

I might be able to help out with giving you information for this as well as pics I took. Maybe even have the AI traffic of tour copters and tour planes, and include some mule trains as easter eggs.

Wow, this has me really interested!

I also really really hope the night lighting turns out to be possible. Las Vegas is one of the most recognizable "neon cities" in the world.

If its all dark at night, I will have to assume that the Vampires have won!! :lol::blink:

sascha, please Yucca Valley with animited nuclear explosion with flashing light

Guy, this isn't a combatsimulator, even though it would be a cool effect ;).