Glider Task 1

Tyrion

Ok, here's task number ONE!!

A short one, to get the idea (and my head around the "how-to's")

The task is to fly from Andras Field to Durach and back, a total of 40nm.

I'll attach to saved flights to this post, one with the default DG808, one with the Aerosoft Discus B. To use them, just drop the files in your documents/flight simulator X files folder.

We're starting on the main concrete runway for this one, so people can use a winch start if they want.

here are the start condition:

Aerotow to 500m or 1500ft AGL

Winch start using a 1400m cable

the first leg of the journey, Andras to Durach is preprogrammed in the GPS.

Upon completion, post your IGC Logs here.

I was planning on flying it myself tonight, but my PC doesn't feel like working with me it seems, so I'll have to do that later.

If you experience any problems, feel free to post here, unless they're related to Sim Logger. In that case, go to the relevant support section (links in the 'how to' topic)

Enjoy!!

Lars

P.S. Don't forget to run Cumulus X, or you won't find any thermals when running Sim Logger!

AFgliding_task_1.zip

Thanks Lars.

I'll try to do it, so far that my PC lets me acomplish the task before running out of memory.

And, by the way, I never used before GPS on gliders, so it would be a good way to learn it

Please, let me post an Off-Topic:

As a former Spanish ATC, I ask you to support Real Spanish ATC who have been forced to strike by the unconstitutional action of the Gouvernement and now are under military lows.

Imagine how the air security can be affected, nothing to say about Civil and Human Rights

Thanks

I'll attach to saved flights to this post, one with the default DG808, one with the Aerosoft Discus B. To use them, just drop the files in your documents/flight simulator X files folder.

We're starting on the main concrete runway for this one, so people can use a winch start if they want.

here are the start condition:

Aerotow to 500m or 1500ft AGL

Winch start using a 1400m cable

the first leg of the journey, Andras to Durach is preprogrammed in the GPS.

Upon completion, post your IGC Logs here.

I was planning on flying it myself tonight, but my PC doesn't feel like working with me it seems, so I'll have to do that later.

If you experience any problems, feel free to post here, unless they're related to Sim Logger. In that case, go to the relevant support section (links in the 'how to' topic)

Enjoy!!

Lars

P.S. Don't forget to run Cumulus X, or you won't find any thermals when running Sim Logger!

Ill have to try it out Lars. Sounds like a lot of fun. Now if only I can get my frigging hand to cooperate:o I might even succeed. :D

Might have to try out some of the native FSX glider missions first though - to get the hang of it.

I'm all for these as we do them within the UKVGA.

You lost me on this one! Why start on the concrete runway just so you can use a winch? Winch's can and are operated on grass as well as tow planes. Therefore, why change a habit of a lifetime?

You lost me on this one! Why start on the concrete runway just so you can use a winch? Winch's can and are operated on grass as well as tow planes. Therefore, why change a habit of a lifetime?

Because the grass runway only allows for winches up to 900m cable length. As this will only give you a launch height of about 300m agl, that's quite low for a first, and supposed to be easy, task.

Understood but not convinced as that equates to 2000ft, ample room. I would assume also that aircraft type and ac/winch speed have a big factor in this. Not been in FSX for quite a few months so will have to dust the cob webs off my Discus.

I'll attach to saved flights to this post, one with the default DG808, one with the Aerosoft Discus B.

You have forgot the flt plan as it tells you on loading and also does not show in the Discus GPS. Any chance of adding it?

Forgot to re-download but had a quick go at it earlier. Also, when you load the Discus it has no power (no bty switch) therefore, you have to change to an aircraft with a bty switch and reload the Discus. Minor issue :D

GAF_AFGliding_DiscusB_1_2010-12-11_1125.zip

Nice fight James, thanks for sharing!

About the power, I just use SHIFT+M to turn the battery on. The ASK-13 I learned to fly in (IRL) didn't have a master switch either, it just powered up when you connected the battery.

P.S. I've been trying to fly this task myself, but my PC keeps crashing after 20-30 minutes when I run FSX together with CumulusX. No problem when not running CumulusX, but you kinda need that for this kind of flying :mad:

Nice fight James, thanks for sharing!

No problem. I only brought up the flight plan as I thought it might be a round robin type one. As it is I will see if I can remaster it as with the C4 you can't really calculate your final hight back to Andras. Not a major issue as now have a good idea. Also got lost in the clouds :D

About the power, I just use SHIFT+M to turn the battery on. The ASK-13 I learned to fly in (IRL) didn't have a master switch either, it just powered up when you connected the battery.

Yep, just realised I had hot keys for it :(

P.S. I've been trying to fly this task myself, but my PC keeps crashing after 20-30 minutes when I run FSX together with CumulusX. No problem when not running CumulusX, but you kinda need that for this kind of flying :mad:

Have you had a word with Peter L? He should be able to sort that out with you. I can recall others having issues a while back but can't recall the solution. Out of curiosity, where is it placed within your exe.xml file? Have you tried moving it up or down the list? Stupid idea but that's how I sorted a glitch between Cumulusx and Winchx.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey James, sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the suggestions.

Before trying to solve anything myself, I contacted Acer, the manufacturer of my laptop,

and they came and picked it up for repair.

I expect it back by Wednesday at the latest.

I'll see what the status is then,

but hopefully, I can finally fly this task myself then, when taking a break from studying...

I'm having exams in January so I won't be able to pour that much time in AF the next few weeks.

Anyway, I'm already planning a task 2, but don't expect that too soon, for the reason stated above...

No problem. I only done it once, could do with doing it again to speed the time up and look for better ridge lift or thermals :D

When I get a couple of issues sorted with this pc I'll get around to doing it again.

Jippie! PC back, fixed, and I finally was able to fly this task myself!!

I'll attach my IGC log here, for those interested...

EDIT: I also took some screenshots. I'll post them in the screenshot section of AF.

Thanks a lot Lars.

That was quick - the PC I mean. I didnt think you expected it back until the beginning of the new year. Man its hard to be without ones PC.:o