Iceland X Initial Release Issues

Shaun Fletcher

Here is a list with problems I find with Iceland X.

Reykjavik (BIRK):

Taxiways Golf and Foxtrot missing. Blue taxi lights missing on Golf.

Half of taxiway Charlie are missing the blue taxi lights (east of rwy. 01/19)

Rwy. 06/24 have the same surface as the other runways but they don't do in Iceland X.

RESA area 90x90m on the ends of runway 01, 19, 13 and 33 are very small and also missing the blue taxi edge lights. Also lot of Yellow lines missing. To see RESA areas better refer to this site: http://caa.is/media/PDF/AD_2_BIRK.pdf and scroll down to page 21. Notice the RESA areas with taxi edge light. Also notice taxiway Golf and Foxtrot missing on the charts the taxi lights but they are there in reality and are used.

Lot of fps drops when looking at Reykjavik.. and yes I have a super CPU.

Vestmannaeyjar (BIVM):

Lead in lights for rwy.13 are missing.

Terminal area lights missing. Asphalt apron surface is missing everywhere.

Red collision beacons lights on top of the mountains are all missing.

The airport area don't look realistic…

Hofn (Hornafjordur) (BIHN):

Lead-in lights for both runways are missing.

PAPI 3° for both runways-, runway edge lights-, flashing white threshold ID lights are all missing.

REMOVE TREES ON SHORT FINAL for RWY 18 !

Isafjordur (BIIS):

Red collision beacons on the cliff are missing. They are suppose to be about on the middle of the cliff. (Seen upwind rwy. 08)

The terminal is too close to the runway because when parked on Fokker 50 the one wing almost extend to the runway. Make the airport more realistic J

Egilsstadir (BIEG):

DME IS MISSING ! It's there in the default scenery.

Akureyri (BIAR):

Lead-in lights missing for LLZ approach rwy. 01. It's there but I don't see it?

Vopnafjordur (BIVO):

For both runways: Threshold lights missing, Runway edge lights missing. Threshold ID lights missing and PAPI 3° Lights missing.

Gjogur (BIGJ):

Lead-in lights for both runways 05/23 are missing.

Husavik (BIHU):

Threshold ID Lights rwy. 03/21 are missing.

Hella (BIHL):

Runway 05/23 edge lights are missing.

Bildudalur (BIBD):

Runway edge lights are missing

Bakki (BIBA):

Runway edge lights for both runways are missing. Rwy. 12/30 & 03/21

Saudarkrokur (BIKR):

Threshold ID lights missing.

BIMS

Runway is way too narrow. It's even almost impossible to turn 180° on a tail dragger…

BISS:

The East/West grass runway is way way to narrow :o

Missing airports:

BISK, BIMK, BIBF, BIDV, BIEH, BIFM, BIGS, BIHE, BIHI, BIKA, BIKE, BIKL, BIMM, BIND, BIRE and BIRS

• I see lots of blue taxi-edge lights on ramps at small airports here and there but they are not there in reality. See Iceland AIP.

• Really hard to fly around Iceland and land during nights with all lights missing on so many airports…

For this list I used the display settings that the Iceland X manual recommended but also checked with all the settings set for the most quality.

Are you familiar with all those airports or did you use some data sheets? We checked all airports with current real world data and designed the runways and lights as realistic as possible.

Some things will be changed in an update though.

Are you familiar with all those airports or did you use some data sheets? We checked all airports with current real world data and designed the runways and lights as realistic as possible.

Some things will be changed in an update though.

Most of them I am familiar with but not all 100%. I am a pilot and I have flown over 95% of all the airport in Iceland and probably landed on 85% of them.

Those airports that I list missing do all exist today.

I also have CPL with ME/IR rating and I get updates of every change that is made to approach system and more here in Iceland (last update was Jan. 13th 2011.)

All those lights that I listed that were missing are there in reality. I also figure out that rwy 01/19 in Reykjavik (BIRK) has rwy. middle lights in Iceland X but unfortunately there are none in real which is little more challenge :)

It would be great if you would at least put the runway edge lights on all the airports that are suppose to have it as it is very enjoyable to fly in Iceland in winter with very challenging weather condition to airports that only have NDB approaches, but its impossible to spot the runway without any lights :/

also,

Is there any way I could get the DME at Egilsstadir (BIEG) to work again as it's gone after I installed Iceland X ?

When can we expect an update for Iceland X? :o

Dong get me wrong tough, this scenery is great and you/aerosoft has done great job.

Now I really start to think that something's wrong with your install. I will have to check all items on your list before we release an update, but some things don't seem to be true. For example I don't remember having placed any additional taxiway lights on the smaller airfields and the lights were all as in the documents.

In BIEG you have all NDBs, ES, MN, BR.

Maybe reinstall the scenery and make sure you have priority 1 and priority 2 in your scenery library.

Now I really start to think that something's wrong with your install. I will have to check all items on your list before we release an update, but some things don't seem to be true. For example I don't remember having placed any additional taxiway lights on the smaller airfields and the lights were all as in the documents.

In BIEG you have all NDBs, ES, MN, BR.

Maybe reinstall the scenery and make sure you have priority 1 and priority 2 in your scenery library.

I reinstalled Iceland X but all same resaults.

In BIEG there is ILS/DME named IES with freq. 109.3 but DME does not come up, it worked before I installed Iceland X.

I think I will reinstall FSX and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Thorsten,

Great job on IcelandX. This is by far the best scenery addon I've ever purchased. I've been to Iceland twice and have been looking around for something like this. All the other landclasses, etc have been dissappointing till now. The default scenery even has little neighborhoods in the interior, which I'm pretty sure don't exist. Do you know of any way to add Aurora borealis? Perhaps a weather package? Please let me know when Keflavik X comes out. Now if we just had Björk singing a sweet song from a mountaintop :rolleyes: .

I thought about adding aurora borealis but as a matter of fact this is already a default FSX feature, though very rarely spotted. So yes, it might have been a nice idea to add it as an addon feature, I might consider this for the update.

I have found some more unusual water features just South of BIOF, where the water forms a small incline. Not sure if this has already been reported?

Is there any time scale on when an update might be released for Iceland, please?

Lat/lon or screenshot?

Sorry I didn't see the need for those but perhaps I should have been more precise. The area of water is directly South of BIOF and visible from the airport itself.

Hope that helps.

I thought about adding aurora borealis but as a matter of fact this is already a default FSX feature, though very rarely spotted. So yes, it might have been a nice idea to add it as an addon feature, I might consider this for the update.

That would be great if you could add aurora. Iceland is one of the best places on earth to witness the aurora borealis. Keep in mind it's usually seen best in winter months, during New Moon phase (no moonlight), between about midnight-4 AM, away from city lights.

Good information at: http://www.gedds.ala...auroraforecast/

• Upvote 1

This must be an FSX thing as I get water like that no matter where you fly and what add-on scenery you use, or default come to that.

I don't get water like that with default scenery in FSX, nor with most scenery add-ons.

When I have done beta testing on other scenery titles where such issues were present, developers wanted to know about these issues and corrected them.

I am only reporting such things because this thread is for doing so ... unless I'm missing something?

You're not missing something, but you've installed something. There seem to be addons out there that edit the terrain.cfg, which is a bad idea if you ask me. In this case they told water polys not to flatten the scenery with the result you can see on your screenshot.

The only way to get rid of this is to set the values in your terrain.cfg back to default values.

This is not an Iceland X issue, it will happen in every scenery that uses water polygons in non-flat areas. I think the culprit is Ultimate Terrain X, not sure about this though.

• Upvote 1

You're not missing something, but you've installed something. There seem to be addons out there that edit the terrain.cfg, which is a bad idea if you ask me. In this case they told water polys not to flatten the scenery with the result you can see on your screenshot.

The only way to get rid of this is to set the values in your terrain.cfg back to default values.

This is not an Iceland X issue, it will happen in every scenery that uses water polygons in non-flat areas. I think the culprit is Ultimate Terrain X, not sure about this though.

Thanks for that; clearly this is just down to my set-up.

I've had a look in my FSX folder and found a previous version of terrain.cfg and that doesn't show 'inclined water' in the places I mentioned so you were right! Perhaps I've been lucky but I'd not encountered that scenario before.

It'd be nice to discover which add-on caused this problem (and indeed why anyone would mess about with this cfg and thereby reduce the quality of another scenery add-on, albeit accidentally).

Thanks!

I think it is something like UTX. The only reason I see is that they don't like steep cliffs, so they decided to make water run uphill rather than force the water area to be flattened, causing cliffs here and there. Unfortunately this is not what nature would do so it's definitely not realistic.

• 2 months later...

The harbor at BIVM:

(screenshot attached)

It has no entrance and the building on the left is in the mountain. Can anyone else confirm this? Or am I the only one?

Mesh complexity: 100

Mesh resolution: 5

post-41918-0-77065100-1305114443_thumb.p