So it may appear that I'm quite behind the times, considering the Avsim post was in April 2009, but I've just discovered the HDR mod for FSX and I'm pretty much blown away! I've not had much time too test it in detail yet, but just booting up Ibiza X in daylight with the mod turns FSX into something that to my eye is much more appealing.

So what I'm wondering is, does anyone here have much experience with the mod and do they enjoy it? I've seen that you can tweak it to your own tastes, do any of you use your own set up?

If on the offchance that you haven't heard of this, here's the original post http://forum.avsim.n..._hl__enb+series

It's nice to find something every now and again that can make FS that little bit more enjoyable!

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the link, Chris. I had never heard of this mod; but I knew that I'd like it, because I love HDR photographs. As is mentioned in the AVSIM thread, HDR is an attempt to simulate the human eye's adjustment to lighting conditions. It gives a very realistic effect in photography. IMO, it looks very good in FSX. It makes it look less cartoon-like.

I found that most of the benefits can be gained from using a quality sky/cloud addon (FEX or REX) and some simple monitor tweaks. The thought of having another process running with FSX, just doesn't thrill me. But it does make for great unedited screenshots.

I found that most of the benefits can be gained from using a quality sky/cloud addon (FEX or REX) and some simple monitor tweaks. The thought of having another process running with FSX, just doesn't thrill me. But it does make for great unedited screenshots.

Hi Snave, I'm using REX Overdrive with the mod, and so far haven't noticed any impact on frames, or CPU performance. I'm running an i7 so maybe quad core can handle this better? I don't know what you run so obviously I can't say how the mod would impact upon your system, however after reading the thread from avsim, it does seem that some people experience issues, and some don't! I guess the only way to find out would be to try it, but I can of course see the point that you made tweaking a monitor in conjunction with an addon.

And as for the screenshots, I think I finally found out how some of those youtube videos were made!

Chris

Some people indeed experience frames issues, but this is similar to people who can't get more than 10 frames with all sliders maxxed out within default FSX because of their computer that is just not good enough to do so. HDR (also known as ENB Series) is a nice thing, but as for default FSX, there are some settings, and you need to find the right ones. I've begun to use it some time ago, and I was quite disappointed at first. But then I found the settings that didn't have much impact on my FPS and that were good enough for me.

ENB Series consists in fact in two files: the d3d9.dll file and its settings file, called enbseries.ini. You need to read the PDF manual that is provided with it and try different settings to find out what's fine for you.

@ Snave: Sometimes, monitor tweaks aren't enough. Mine almost doesn't change when I try to add some contrast...

• 10 months later...

I am having nothing but trouble getting the app to work with my Windows 7 64bit system.

When the two components are copied in to my FSX directory (as instructed in the instructions) FSX crashes on start up.

Does anyone else experienced this?

Has anyone discovered a solution?

Some people indeed experience frames issues, but this is similar to people who can't get more than 10 frames with all sliders maxxed out within default FSX because of their computer that is just not good enough to do so. HDR (also known as ENB Series) is a nice thing, but as for default FSX, there are some settings, and you need to find the right ones. I've begun to use it some time ago, and I was quite disappointed at first. But then I found the settings that didn't have much impact on my FPS and that were good enough for me.

ENB Series consists in fact in two files: the d3d9.dll file and its settings file, called enbseries.ini. You need to read the PDF manual that is provided with it and try different settings to find out what's fine for you.

@ Snave: Sometimes, monitor tweaks aren't enough. Mine almost doesn't change when I try to add some contrast...

Where did you download your copy of the files from?

I downloaded the files from two locations, and neither of them included any PDF file.

• Deputy Sheriffs
Where did you download your copy of the files from? I downloaded the files from two locations, and neither of them included any PDF file.

I did not find a pdf either, but Google learned me that the developer has changed his site (with documentation) to:

http://enbdev.com/index_en.html

I did not know this utility before, and I like it. So far no issues with it (i7-2600K, Win 7 64b, GTX560Ti).

• 2 weeks later...