Spoliers Don't Work

Ferrari308guy

I bought the Airbus X a few weeks ago, and have had several flights on it.

I've yet to see the spoilers deploy or move, and I can't get them to do so no matter what I do. As far as I can tell, everything works just fine, except that the actual spoilers don't deploy. I can arm the spoiler level just fine during takeoff and landing, and the lever deploys as it should during a rejected takeoff or during a normal landing, but the actual spoilers on the wing don't move at all. In flight, I move the spoiler lever, and my airspeed decreases as it should. I feel the effects of the spoilers on the airplane, but again, the actual control surface doesn't move.

I've had this issue for versions 1.20, 1.21, and 1.22.

Has anybody else had this issue? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Phil

Hi,

I also have this problem, ever since the firt Release, dont know if it hast to do with the FBW turned off in the CFG, i do have it turned off always in the CFG, i will turn it on when i do my next Flight to see if it then works.

I will Edit back later.

EDIT: yup, your right, Turning FBW off, either in the CFG or on the Overhead Panel will cause this Problem.

What I find kind of ammusing is that most people that use airliners in FS, do so because they like all the automation; they get a kick out of watching a computer flying a plane on their computer. Things like the FMC and AP are what it's all about and not hand flying circuits.......to most people.

Using the Airbus X as it was designed and promoted to be used should pose no problem to anyone and doesn't need to have FBW turned off in either the cfg or via the ELAC's.

That said, I can't say I have any big issue flying circuits by hand either and whilst I couldn't say this is the most enjoyable flight model to use, it is at least different enough to make it interesting. Even so, that's not what real Airbuses do. I remember watching a program on TV recently that involved a new airline pilot finishing his training and finally getting his hands on a real Airbus. Part of this involved flying circuits and approaches and this involved initial departure by hand, engage A/TH, engage AP and then "fly" the circuit in selected mode until established on final followed by hand a flown final and touchdown.

I can't honestly see any reason for anyone not being able to do that with the Airbus X.................unless they have the issue with the throttle hardware which seems to have affected a few people.

I didn't buy the Airbus X for automation either...I conduct all of my landings by hand. I love flying the Level D 767 and PMDG 747 because I can actually fly SIDS and STARs by hands in those planes. I can't do that in the default 737, and I certainly can't do it in the Aerosoft Airbus.

I've tried several times, but have been unsuccessful in hand flying this airplane with the FBW on.

After disengaging the autopilot on approach, I push the nose forward ever so slightly to keep descending, and nothing happens. I push a little more...nothing. I push a little more, and the plane nose-dives into the ground. Then I pull all the way back on the stick to try and recover, and the plane pulls up at a very slow rate (to avoid high G forces obviously,) then I end up hitting the ground.

That's just one example of what's wrong with the default FSX FBW, and I'm just sick of dealing with it. And yes...my joystick is calibrated correctly.

... I can actually fly SIDS and STARs by hands in those planes. I can't do that in the default 737, ...

Why not? I can.

I've tried several times, but have been unsuccessful in hand flying this airplane with the FBW on.

Sorry for stating the bleeding obvious, but with FBW on, this is an Airbus that uses FBW, it is not a Boeing nor is it a Cessna. With FBW, the stick does not move the controls, it simple tells the computer what you want. As you have found out, 'ever so slightly' doesn't do it. Move the stick firmly until the plane acheives the attitude you want, then release the stick. Since it appears that the trim is centered when the AP is turned off, if you make a note of what the trim is before you disengage the AP, you will know what adjustment to expect.

...And yes...my joystick is calibrated correctly.

Including your dead zone? On the ground, ready to Taxi, open your ECAM page to F/CTL. Note how much stick movement is required to produce a response and also note how long that response takes.

I didn't buy the Airbus X for automation either...I conduct all of my landings by hand. I love flying the Level D 767 and PMDG 747 because I can actually fly SIDS and STARs by hands in those planes. I can't do that in the default 737, and I certainly can't do it in the Aerosoft Airbus.

After disengaging the autopilot on approach, I push the nose forward ever so slightly to keep descending, and nothing happens. I push a little more...nothing. I push a little more, and the plane nose-dives into the ground. Then I pull all the way back on the stick to try and recover, and the plane pulls up at a very slow rate (to avoid high G forces obviously,) then I end up hitting the ground.

That's just one example of what's wrong with the default FSX FBW, and I'm just sick of dealing with it. And yes...my joystick is calibrated correctly.

Seriously, you'll find things a whole lot more enjoyable if you accept that this "feels" different to fly than a Boeing. You say you've tried several times to fly the Airbus by hand.....I'll repeat that bit, "several times".

I personally don't like the way the plane "feels", but that doesn't mean I can't use it to smoothly to fly circuits by hand and fly a flawless approach in rough weather. It does need a different approach to control input and if you accept that fact, you'll get a lot more out of it.

Yes, Aerosoft should have developed an independent FBW flight model, but they didn't. It would have a cost too much and taken too long to meet the targets they set for the product. I'm sure the next version (not update) will be different.............fingers crossed ;) IMHO Aerosoft would have been better to develop a decent non-FBW flight model for this version of the Airbus X, but at the end of the day, it is what is and it does what was intended for the product, whilst looking like one of the best aircraft add-ons ever releassed!

Since we're not going to see a decent FBW implementation anytime soon, why not do a quick fix and allow for the spoilers to work even if FBW is turned off?

I usually turn off the FACs and ELACs but leave the SECs on because otherwise I'll lose the spoilers.

However, I had to find out that even with only this residual FBW functionality on and AP turned off, the airplane will still handle like a hog when the aircraft comes near to flaring.

It seems that there was some "nose-up" behavior implemented for those people who are doing autolands and were complaining about hard landings/crashes, and that behavior also messes up the manual flight behavior.

The Airbus X is a really nice bird, very good looking, with one of the best airliner virtual cockpits for FSX I've come across. Congrats to the aerosoft artwork people!

However, the systems simulation (FBW, MCDU/FMS) still needs quite some work.

Eagerly awaiting the "advanced" version of the Airbus X ... Keep the artwork ... work on the systems simulation!

Since we're not going to see a decent FBW implementation anytime soon, why not do a quick fix and allow for the spoilers to work even if FBW is turned off?

I usually turn off the FACs and ELACs but leave the SECs on because otherwise I'll lose the spoilers.

However, I had to find out that even with only this residual FBW functionality on and AP turned off, the airplane will still handle like a hog when the aircraft comes near to flaring.

It seems that there was some "nose-up" behavior implemented for those people who are doing autolands and were complaining about hard landings/crashes, and that behavior also messes up the manual flight behavior.

The Airbus X is a really nice bird, very good looking, with one of the best airliner virtual cockpits for FSX I've come across. Congrats to the aerosoft artwork people!

However, the systems simulation (FBW, MCDU/FMS) still needs quite some work.

Eagerly awaiting the "advanced" version of the Airbus X ... Keep the artwork ... work on the systems simulation!

How about trying this with an open mind

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=40555