ASK 23

yonieter

I'm currently working on a ASK23 for Flight Simulator X and I think I'm pretty far now!

I've got a Flying model and the virtual cockpit and the adding gauges are pretty much done. To be honest I only made a model and copied existing flight dynamics and gauges from other models.

It's not yet done though. I have to make some animations and I'm really stuck on the canopy transparency(help anyone?)

No screenshots yet because I would like to know how many people are actually interested in this airplane.

so my question is: Who would be interested and would like to fly a ASK 23 in Flight Simulator X?

best regards, yonieter

I'd download it myself, since I like to collect gliders for FSX. As far as the canopy goes, I don't know enough about aircraft modeling to help you out there. I've done little work on getting textures to the right transparency, but only for my liking. You could send a kind word to Wolfgang, and see if he would give you a few pointers. I would definitely look into someone doing the flight dynamics though, or at least get it as close as possible. I'm no aircraft editor, so I sure don't know enough about how it all works, but maybe you could see what kind of difference there is between Wolfgang's Discus and Duo Discus to get an idea of what the difference would be between his ASK21 and your ASK23.

Maybe Bert (bruin) and/or B21 could help you out with the flight dynamics, it sure wouldn't hurt to ask. Hope it all works out for you.

Scott

I'd download it myself, since I like to collect gliders for FSX. As far as the canopy goes, I don't know enough about aircraft modeling to help you out there. I've done little work on getting textures to the right transparency, but only for my liking. You could send a kind word to Wolfgang, and see if he would give you a few pointers. I would definitely look into someone doing the flight dynamics though, or at least get it as close as possible. I'm no aircraft editor, so I sure don't know enough about how it all works, but maybe you could see what kind of difference there is between Wolfgang's Discus and Duo Discus to get an idea of what the difference would be between his ASK21 and your ASK23.

Maybe Bert (bruin) and/or B21 could help you out with the flight dynamics, it sure wouldn't hurt to ask. Hope it all works out for you.

Scott

Thanks for the response. I promise I'll post it here when I think it's 100 percent done. As for the flight dynamics and the (frustrating) canopy I'll have to look into it a little more.

But If I don't figure I will contact Bert, B21 or wolfgang so thanks for suggesting people who might be able to help me!

Could be really useful knowledge for future models I'm planning to make(Antares, ASW12 and a ASG 29)

yonieter

Hi yonieter,

if you use GMAX for modelling you have to create a 32-bit texture-bmp for the canopy with alpha channel (this defines the transarency), set the frame buffer blend-mode in the material editor to default-transparent, and define the source blend mode to SrcAlpha and destination blend to InvSrcAlpha. The BMP uis used as the diffuse texture of the material.

More explanation and interactive example are found in the FSX SDK on the material editor page (which can be found on the web also by searching for FSX SDK).

best regards,

Peter

thanks guys for the help and Peter thanks for the explanation that was exactly what I was looking for!

I will try that out tomorrow If I find the time between my other schoolwork.

So with that in mind I doubt this "project" of mine will make big progress in the next couple of days

But then again thanks for giving a help. It saves me a lot of time jumping on Google since this is my very first "Make Airplane for FS" project

yonieter

oh and by the way If I get the canopy done and some other things I will post some screenshots!

Update:

Gmax somehow don't recognize my alpha-bitmap so I guess that I'm doing something wrong... So what is the best way to make that bitmap? I went to GIMP, created an 32-bit bitmap and added an alpha channel and I did that all in GIMP. But that didn't worked so what is the right way to do it?

yonieter

• 2 weeks later...
Gmax somehow don't recognize my alpha-bitmap so I guess that I'm doing something wrong... So what is the best way to make that bitmap? I went to GIMP, created an 32-bit bitmap and added an alpha channel and I did that all in GIMP. But that didn't worked so what is the right way to do it?

GMAX does not use alpha textures.

You'll see it solid in max

You must set the map up for FSX not for max.

However for a hbetter view in Max, simply choose the part you want and press alt+x

Cheers Joachim