FS9: Day/Night performance at Paris Orly

Er!k

After not getting my post answered, trying it here. I have a serious performance issue between day and night at Paris Orly. Please see screenshots below.

@ Day 17 FPS (Clear weather, no AI)

dayclear.png

@ Night 30 FPS (Clear weather, no AI)

nightclear.png

Also when flying at dawn or dusk, frame rates are also 30 (probably because the scenery is using night textures then). I also have a simple Youtube movie showing the issue:

(FPS are lower in the movie, due to Fraps).

Conclusion: there seems to be an inconsistency between day and night objects/textures causing troubles at daytime... Most of the times scenery at night has more impact on performance due to rendering of lights etc. but here it seems the other way round?!

Edit: I also tried the 1.04 update, but this only seems AFCAD related, and makes no difference at all regarding the performance.

Edit 2: I applied the updates from Oliver, and also tried different angles at the airport. There performance is better, but still day/night differences.

My specs:

- Intel Core I7 950 @ 3.06 GHz

- 6 GB Ram

- Geforce 275 GTX 896 MB

- Windows 7 X64 Home Premium

- FS 9.1

• Developer

The only technical reason I see for this difference is the "shading" the engine don't need to do in night, so it could render the scenery faster.

The primary problem is the high detailed Terminal area, with a lot of Polys, which your PC can't handle with high performace. My PC has in the same view over 50 frames at day.

The performance Update has not changed anything in the details (polycount), it only take care, that this objects are not rendered, when they are not in view. So you will have much more frames in serveral view angles (also in approach), then before with the first version (for example when you are in CDG with view to Orly).

Which Anti Aliasing and Antislopeing settings you use for your Nvidia Card?

Hi Oliver,

Agian thanks for your reply! Appreciated!

Your last question triggered me to change my AA and AF settings. My AA is a 8SQ and AF16x, AA transparancy 4x to avoid shimmering. I put but the settings to AA 8xSQ, AF8x and AA transparancy disabled. Now my FPS went up again! So I guess the transparancy caused the issue here! I also put back my sliders a bit (dense) and now on 30 FPS (except with 3rd party aircraft).

However I am puzzled by the fact you are getting 50 FPS. What are your hardware and sim settings? I bought new hardware for Fs9 and this seems to be a dissapointment.

Second, I now have a lot of shimmering, for example on the fence textures. I already used the mipmapped ground and so on. Is this an NVidia issue?

• Developer

Yes, my hardware is highend (at the moment), a 6core i980 with overcocked 480 Nvidia card, so maybe not a reference.

But I used since last week the newest Nvidia driver with the Nvidia Inspector and get good results with the settings you can see here: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=40433&view=findpost&p=269026

Maybe the 32x AA and 16x AF can be reduced for your PC to 16xAA and 8x AF, important is, that you don't use supersampling, then you frames goes down in clouds.

You never get all shimmering under controll, as long as you want to have high frames, but you can reduces it to a acceptable level.

In Orly, some textures are still without MIPMAP's (even with the Texture patch), like Runwaylines ..., so here you can try to convert this BMP's with DXTBMP, you only need to open the BMP and save it, by keeping the checkbox for MipMaps selected (see Picture).

post-77-065550500 1289295050_thumb.jpg

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the advice. Played around with some settings and got acceptable FPS (20) for now. I was already using NVidia Inspector. Great tool as an alternative for NHancer! Will use DXTBmp for converting some other textures!