Procedures for helicopter pilots

Matt_Smith

Helicopters should use the same procedures as fixed wing for approach and landing, the only difference being the taxi. They should hover/taxi to parking at around 15 feet, at a walking pace.

That is as far as I understand it.

Helicopters should use the same procedures as fixed wing for approach and landing, the only difference being the taxi. They should hover/taxi to parking at around 15 feet, at a walking pace.

that is correct, i have seen it done both on youtube and in real life before.

since people purchase Plots at Andras field, does that mean you guys fly together online around the airfield?

i know you guys see Houses etc, im abit confused by it all :(

What about when using the Helipads? (E, NE and Aerosoft Hanger)

that is correct, i have seen it done both on youtube and in real life before.

since people purchase Plots at Andras field, does that mean you guys fly together online around the airfield?

i know you guys see Houses etc, im abit confused by it all :(

You don't have to be a plot owner to fly online :)

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=40099

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=36829

Kind regards

Chompksi

@Chompski, I think the taxi rules apply to the heli pads aswell as the hanger situation. I think there are some airports that have an approach course/heading for heli pads, and common sense dictates that it will depend on which side of the runway the pad is. ie you wouldn't approach a heli pad on the east side of north/south runway from the west crossing the runway, you would approach it from the east. I assume it would be like turning a base leg early from the downwind leg.

I haven't got Andras field, but I'm looking into getting it, so I don't know the layout of the runways, taxi ways etc. I was only giving a general rule. As a virtual civilian pilot, I use fixed wing approaches in my helicopters. My taxiing isn't great, so buildings usually get busted up laugh.gif

I would say we could just add a north approach out of the downwind leg for the helipads at a 45 degree angle to the runway. As for going into the actual terminal and ga parking area just the standard airplane approach with a taxi. Also for the airpark pads we could just use an offset approach into the airpark.

andraspatterns.png

Thanks for the input

More questions I am afraid:)

For the Aerosoft hanger helipad how about a turn on the final as in my experience of landing on it you need to land from the south due to the the way the building is built?

The airpark helipads is logical but my main concern is a final over buildings- is this common practice? I don't know just asking the question. I also have a problem with AF25 being right behind the petrol station - again any examples of this or rules to preclude this?

Thanks again looking forward to your replies

@chompski, Baring in mind I haven't got Andras yet, I don't know the layout of the site. However, the thing to remember about helicopters is that they are inherently unstable. The picture above shows a pretty good example of the down wiind, and base legs for either runway. It isn't good for a helicopter to approach anything with a tail wind. That's why I said use a hover/taxi to the heli pad, it's safer that way. The same goes for the fuel really. You definitely don't want to be approaching a fuel point with a tail wind. Approaching both those areas in a hover/taxi, you'd only be about 15 feet above ground, and can quickly set down in case of a fierce wind. If you are approaching those areas from say 100 feet above ground, descending as you get closer, there's more chance of a disaster with a gust of wind. Landing a helicopter off runway, you should always be pointing your nose into the wind just before you touch down, so the heli pad position doesn't really matter as you will land on it facing into the wind. Establishing an approach for that is impossible, so hover/taxi to the pad, and then turn into the wind and touch down. Same with the fuel point, only more important to face into the wind.

This is not by any means real life fact, but just a bit of common sense, and a bit of experience with the Dodo, and R/C flying.