FaceTrackNoIR has been updated!!

sf4JC

It now supports FS2002/FS2004/FSX. Also with this release is configurable curves and other small modifications it says.

This is a face recognition type program to mimic head movement in the sim. I'll be back in a few days after I've tried it out for a short review. You can find it at http://facetracknoir...ome/default.htm .

Scott

Edit: Title has been corrected to reflect the real name, FaceTrackNoIR instead of FaceTrackNOIR.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is in beta form, so it's a work in progress. I think I read that it uses at least 5-12% of your system/core, so it may not be that big of a shock on my FSX install. But only time will tell.

Scott

I'll be interested to hear (see) how good it is. I have TrackIR, but also I have 3 screens so the trackIR left-right is redundant really. It's good when I tilt my head when I'm thermalling to keep the horizon level, just like in RL, and with 3 screen wide-screen viewing this keeps the horizon across the width of the 3 screens instead of most of the screens being sky. Interesting to use though - I've wondered what head tracking would be like with those video glasses although I guess the limited field of view might feel a bit like looking around through a cereal box open at both ends. The trackIR feature I found most interesting was leaning *forward* so you can see over the control column to dials that otherwise might be obscured - kinda cool.

Call me wierd but I read FaceTrack*NOIR* as if it was FaceTrack*BLACK*, not "No IR" - I thought that was a bit odd but hey, all became clear when I followed your link...

B21

The trackIR feature I found most interesting was leaning *forward* so you can see over the control column to dials that otherwise might be obscured - kinda cool.

So how long before you realize you forgot to buckle yourself back into your seat :unsure: ?! hehehe

Well, I come back with fairly good news. I think the future really looks promising for this FREEWARE software. I realized later today that my tests have kinda been inconclusive. My webcam had originally been modified for it's use with IR LED's in FreeTrack, making it hard to keep a good setup in FaceTrackNoIR with the changing sunlight outside and the light coming in through the shades. Ideally, with the setup I have at the moment, I would have no light coming in from the outside, and a better light source in the room I'm in. But I think all that will change if I get a new webcam for Christmas, maybe.

As far as a FPS loss, I found little to no difference between FreeTrackv2.2 and FaceTrackNoIR. But like I said, the webcam is an issue with getting conclusive results. One thing that I did find hard to do is press buttons on the dashboard because of the constant movement FaceTrackNoIR, but I think I have to mess around with the settings a bit more to get a reasonable view.

At the bottom is a short video of how well so far I've gotten it to work inside FSX. It shows the lag of head movement to screen movement. Also, how well it resumes after it cuts out (primarily from me moving my head too fast), as well as what happens when objects get put in front of the face (example= my coffee cup).

Scott

Hi Scott,

Your video looks great. I see you only get 14FPS within Freetracknoir. I tried FTN too the other day with a cheap webcam. My FPS at first were less than 9, but when I unchecked the low light option in the settings of the webcam, framerates in FTN raised up to around 25. Maybe that helps with your webcam too.

On the other hand, I never reached such stable movements in FTN as I see in your video. Can you please upload some screenshots of the FTN-setup (global- and EWMA-settings and curves).

Thanks in advance

Bert

With the modified webcam that I have, I still need to work on getting my view not to move around so much while looking at the instrument panel. It's hard to use buttons when the view is moving around so much, it was sunny for parts of the day and really cloudy at other times making it even harder to setup the camera at the same time. Not sure why I haven't thought of this before, but what would happen if I use an old camcorder or camera for a webcam (not sure if this can even be done)?. I may try that later today.

Scott

Indeed, the effect of this tool is pretty cool and Scotts settings work much better than default. Previously I made experiments with FreeTrack, and I have the feeling that FTN works much better. I have noticed that unfortunately my FPS is now strongly varying and has quite some drop. It seems also that sometimes the communication between FTN and FSX is stuck, as the gadget window with my face is still smoothly operating, FSX is running good FPS, but still the change of view direction is stuttering. Maybe a similar priority problem as with CumulusX! and W7.

After I while of using it I tend to develop an aching neck, as I feel the need to keep my head steady in an unnatural way. Maybe it's a matter of training. Another difficult thing is the confusing discrepance of perspective on the screen that changes with your head motion, and the fixed position of the controls and the screen itself (and my lots of buttons). Turning the screen-view to the side urges me usually to look from the corner of my eyes. I have varifocals, which do not work very well in that position.

Maybe, that head tracking with a fixed screen in front rather than a head-mounted-display (HMD) is even a fundamental error.

Okok, no bashing me, I know there are many out who love TIR and the like, and its just me old dog, who doesn't learn the trick. I made several attempts in the meantime with things like this and so far I have always come back to panning by the twist-axis, plus hat-switch and a reset-to-forward-button.

Cheers,

Peter

Edit: Btw, I have an MS VX-3000

Maybe, that head tracking with a fixed screen in front rather than a head-mounted-display (HMD) is even a fundamental error.

Nah - there's definititely possibility there. The key point is that the frame of the display has to appear as a clear window-frame to the 3D world behind it, i.e. the perspective and parallax have to be set up right. The possibility is best illustrated with this youtube video:

and in that example you'll see the mocked-up 'disks-on-stalks' works better than the 'stadium view' later in the video because the alignment is better configured.

B21

Indeed the Wii video is quite impressive. It sort of "simulates" a collimator display. Once I considered to build one with Fresnel lenses but gave it up because of their poor quality. Anyhow, the effect was quite stunning (Iposted a picture of the box long ago on the soar forum).

I couldn't withstand to try out immediately what happens in FTN with locked rotating axes and just xyz-movement. Unfortunately FTN behaves different. Let's assume an experiment:

You're standing at the window. At the horizon you discover a tower. On the window baord there are some flowers. Now you move to the right side. From your point of view, the flowers are moving right, but the far away tower stays in the same direction. Eventually it's cut out by the window frame. That's the way the collimator behaves.

Now look at FTN with locked rotational axes. You look outside the cockpit to the end of the runway. The instruments are right in frotnt of you and the end of the runway is in the center of the screen. Now move your head to the left. Instruments are moving to the right (ok!), but the runway end stays in the center of the screen and it's never cut out regardless how far you move.

Now what is the difference? If you move your head then on the collimator screen the vanishing point moves on the screen until it is cut out by the edge, like a real window. FTN, however, keeps the vanishing point in the screen center. This means that position of the projection screen is referred to the head position, rather than coordinate system connected to a real word object (like the earth for the window frame, or the aircraft for a flight simulation).

Collimator simulation requires mapping the xyz-translation on some rotational correction. Unfortunately, there is no complete 6x6 transformation matrix avialble in FTN but only 6x 1:1 correlations.

In difference to that you can clearly see in the Johnny-Lee-Video (by some reason I don't see embedded youtube anymore) that there the vanishing point moves with translation of the head.

regards,

Peter

• 3 months later...

UPDATE 5 is available to the public now. I haven't had a chance to use this one yet, but will post settings and such later if anyone needs.

Scott

• 9 months later...

Forgot to let everyone know, FaceTrackNoIR has been updated again, at v1.6 now, and now those of you with the new Intel Core "i" series computers will be able to use it. I am still unable to press buttons in the virtual cockpit with accuracy, but a function inside FaceTrackNoIR lets a person "freeze" the screen view so one is able to access buttons and knobs a whole lot easier, then return to normal viewing all without pausing the simulation. It's a great FREEware software if you haven't tried it already. I'll try to come back later tonight to post the settings that I use, but remember, you'll most likely have to do some more tweaking to get it set up to your own preferences and on your own computer, since every computer/webcam combination is different.

Scott

Here are my settings as of 12/08/11. Needs a little more tweaking on my part, also have been messing with the light in front of me at night, since it is different from day time. Good lighting is everything.

ftnoirfsxsettings.jpg

here's a video...

• 1 month later...

Hi , I have copied the settings you posted up & they are a vast improvement over the default, my only isue now is when looking straight ahead & trying very hard not to move my head the forward view keeps twitching forward a little then straight back again ,after a while it starts to make me feel sea sick, I have tried moving the null zones up but it still does it even at nul set at 10 ,any suggestions on how to tune it out, I have good lighting in the room .thanks.

I know what you mean, but at this point in time, it's very hard to keep absolutely still. It has actually gotten a lot better than what it used to be, and there may be another head tracking "engine" in the works for FaceTrackNoIR, so lets keep our fingers crossed. Maybe it will happen in version 1.7, but who knows. I'm still beta testing somewhat over at FaceTrackNoIR, and will keep this thread updated.

Oh, and I forgot about giving any suggestions, maybe your best bet is to go to the FaceTrackNoIR Forum. There really is no true manual for the software yet, and that really hurts the project in my opinion, but you may find a solution in the forums there. Using software like this takes some time to set up as an individual, and a LOT of patience is required, but when you finally get to a somewhat reasonable setting, it really makes you feel good "inside" the cockpit.

Scott

I think it is fantastic software ,the 3D effect of the cockpit really comes alive ,I'm really pleased I came across this software.I've seen people moaning on various forums about lag well mine seems to respond instantly & heh I was saving to buy trackir but now I am going to not bother with it, I will however make a donation to the developers , if people want to blow 149 pounds & wear head gear that is there choice , I will tinker with the settings until I get it right & its good to hear the program is still being further developed.