Slope or Ridge lift

Rockitglider

Hello,

I have been reading the manual for CumulusX! and I am a bit confused, Is the slope or ridge lift gemerated automatically, or does it require the loading of css files? Do I just select wind at the face of a mountain and go flying to achive slope lift or is there other settings that need to be set before slope lift will be generated? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely, Rockitglider :glider_s:

Hi,

suppose you mean CMS-files. No, not necessary, CumulusX! creates slope lift automatically in default configuration. Just define weather in FSX with some reasonable wind perpendicular to your preferred ridge, and off you go.

best regards,

Peter

yes it should be automatic and simple - set the wind at something sensible (e.g. 15-20knots) perpendicular to the ridge, and tuck into the slope. CumulusX has a 'debug' window you can open from the application menu bar of the cumulusx window (fly in 'windowed' mode so you can see it) and that will read out the real-time ridge lift CumulusX is generating. A simple test is at Mifflin (KRVL) - set the wind to 315 degrees, 17 knots, and fly from the airport south to the local ridge. As you fly along that ridge there will be a good updraft, enough for you to fly at 100 knots all the way along the ridge to the SW. You should really tuck into the ridge though - at or below ridgetop just on the windward (i.e. NW) side of the ridge. After you've confirmed it's all working, turn the debug window off and fly fullscreen.

B21

intro.jpg

yes it should be automatic and simple - set the wind at something sensible (e.g. 15-20knots) perpendicular to the ridge, and tuck into the slope. CumulusX has a 'debug' window you can open from the application menu bar of the cumulusx window (fly in 'windowed' mode so you can see it) and that will read out the real-time ridge lift CumulusX is generating. A simple test is at Mifflin (KRVL) - set the wind to 315 degrees, 17 knots, and fly from the airport south to the local ridge. As you fly along that ridge there will be a good updraft, enough for you to fly at 100 knots all the way along the ridge to the SW. You should really tuck into the ridge though - at or below ridgetop just on the windward (i.e. NW) side of the ridge. After you've confirmed it's all working, turn the debug window off and fly fullscreen.

B21

intro.jpg

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I had a very good and long flight, I set the wind for 20kts with gusts to 25 out of the NE, and I started my flight at Honolulu Itnl on the island of Oahu. with a tow plane, I had to get over the peak to the other NE side of the island, but once I got to the NE side I found the lift all along the NE side of the islands ridge. This is a very good place for sloping, and I have Mega screnery installed for this island too so it was a beautiful flight as well. One thing I noticed though is the lift doesn't extend out in front of the ridge very much, seems like I have to stay close to the ridge to get the lift that a 20knt wind should generate. The lift actually should start in front of the ridge like the image you posted shows, but it seems to not extend in front of the ridge enough I'm wondering if I need to set the weather differently, any input would be great. Overall this program works very well. I also got behind the ridge once and fell into sink bigtime :blush: , but I was able to get back in front and keep flying, so that is modelled very well. The only problem I'm having with this software is the jitters you describe in the manual when using it in Windows 7. Is there a way to stop the jitters that get saometimes?, also in the manual you mention a dll file to fix this, but it looks like it was for an earlier version so I'm guessing that it was included in version 1.8? I get the jitters still with windows 7 64bit, but not all the time only in some views. Thanks again for your help, having great fun with this program. BTW I used the K version of the Discus for this flight so I could do some aerobatics after diving off the ridge gaining incredible speed! :D Woohoo!

I need to install a video recorder to start recording some of my flights. Any suggestions on a program to use, payware or freeware, doesn't matter.

See ya, Rockitglider :glider_s:

Hi,

regarding ceck of the DLL function: Please open CumulusX! debug window in flight, scroll down and check "CumulusXDLL = true". If not toggle CumulusX!' Autostart option and check again.

Jitter is not completely eliminated by the DLL but strongly reduced (at least). You may crosscheck by temporarily renaming one of the license files and check jitter again.

best regards,

Peter

Re flight recording / videoing...

For creating an actual video of an FSX flight you would use something like Fraps

The freeware version of fraps limits your video segments to 30 seconds and sticks a logo on the top edge of the screen but you can stitch clips together to make a longer movie. There are alternatives.

Even if you just want a video, the usual routine is to record the motion of the aircraft using a FSX addon, and then replay that recording to record a video using fraps. Sounds more complicated but actually the FS Recorder freeware FSX addon is very easy to use. There's a technical advantage in that you can overlay multiple recordings to create a composite video of multiple aircraft you've actuall flown individually. That's how this absolutely awesome FSX soaring video was created.

If you want to create a 'record' of your flight, e.g. to show others, then use sim_logger to create an industry-standard IGC file and upload it to a tracklog everyone can see on everytrail.com

B21

On screen capturing, I have been using Debut mostly for quite some time now. But I noticed that it may have changed to payware as of late. For freeware, I'd check VirtualDub also, I think it has screen capturing capabilities too.

Scott

On screen capturing, I have been using Debut mostly for quite some time now. But I noticed that it may have changed to payware as of late. For freeware, I'd check VirtualDub also, I think it has screen capturing capabilities too.

Scott

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestions, but do you have any links for these? Thanks again, I have downloaded Fraps, and one other that is a trial version, and I have already bought Movavi for converting my cell videos from the RC flying site to my computer. Works well and does alot of other things too.

Rockitglider

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to start CumulusX and WinchX manually instead of starting up with flight sim all the time? Thanks for any help you can give me in this matter,

Hi Kit,

it is not supported directly by the programs, but you can achieve it with a bit of manual work.

1) Open FSX settings directory for the current user by Win-Key-Run and typing %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX

2) Open the file "EXE.XML" in notepad. Search for this section:

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>WinchX!</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\WinchX!\WinchX.exe</Path>

<CommandLine></CommandLine>

<NewConsole>False</NewConsole>

</Launch.Addon>

3) Change this line
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
into this:
<Disabled>True</Disabled>

4) Do the same with the section for CumulusX!

5) Make Shortcuts to WinchX.exe and CumulusX.exe and place them at a convenient location.

6) Now the programs are no longer started by FSX. Instead, you can activate them by the shortcuts.

best regards,

Peter