FPS Limiter & CumulusX

PhilHawkey2008

Hi Peter et al.

Peter, this is not your problem or your fault so I aologise for asking the question, but...

FPS limiter is a freeware external frame rate limiter utility for DX9 only, a kind of 'renderer hook' that it is possible to run and that limits frame rates to a preset value, without resort to the FSX rate limiter. Tweaking experts (eg. 'Bojote' at Avsim) suggest that this is preferable to the internal limiter and certainly makes for a very smooth display. Trouble is, it kills lift from CumulusX, and I wonder if you might have an insight about that. I can't think why you should as FPS limiter was written for another game altogether, a couple of years ago but many gamers use it for a variety of games.

I am sorry to ask what seems a fatuous question, and Peter, you are a busy chap and we who soar owe you a great debt of gratitude. Many thanks for CumulusX and best wishes,

Phil

PS - can we have wave lift and lenticular clouds please? Um, I'll get my coat...

Trouble is, it kills lift from CumulusX

Eh Phil

Yeah I use FPS limiter with CumulusX. I agree that it seems to make panning a little smoother than without. CumulusX seems to work well on my system alongside FPS Limiter. Perhaps you should try again but from a different approach? It is absolutely sure that with only FSX and CumulusX running, everything works, but as soon as you add FPS Limiter, it stops working?

Cheers

Harry

Hi Harry

Well, bless my soul! I was sure FPS Limiter killed the lift too. I am going to test that again just as soon as I get home. Could this be hardware related I wonder; ATI HD5870, AMD dual core Phenom here.

Thank you very much for stepping in here and helping; I'm intrigued.

Phil

Harry, Peter, what can I say - it all works. The only thing I have done between then and now was uninstall SP2 and install Acceleration. CumulusX working beautifully with FPS Limiter too.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Phil

Seems to be a miracolous incidence, that CumulusX! didn't work initially.

SP2 is essential for CumulusX! and, by incidence, the important Sp2-SimConnect library remains on the system even after uninstall of SP2 unless you uninstall FSX completely. So now you have all possible Simconnect versions onboard, RTM, SP1, SP2, and ACC.

best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

Miraculous, well yes it seems so. I am a member of the UKVGA and I have a nice little ridge soaring flight saved which launches me in Wolfgang's Grunau Baby over the Long Mynd where I gently waft along in Ridge lift until a CumulusX thermal drifts in and I then thermal away across country, which never ceases to fill me with delight and wonder, as I used to do just that in real life.

With FRLimiter running there was ridge lift but seemed to be no thermals or cumulus clouds, without FRLimiter there were. This just goes to prove the desirability of a wider range of testing and thanks HarryO for helping out.

I was sure something I was doing killed the CumulusX processes, but I am very happy now to have nice thermals and smooth visuals,

Best wishes Peter and thank you so much for many hours of pleasure with CumulusX.

Phil

• 1 month later...

SP2 is essential for CumulusX! and, by incidence, the important Sp2-SimConnect library remains on the system even after uninstall of SP2 unless you uninstall FSX completely. So now you have all possible Simconnect versions onboard, RTM, SP1, SP2, and ACC.

I read the warning in CumulusX manual about possible crash under AP, so was fully expecting it to happen, since I have FSX Gold installed with AP.

But, it did not crash and runs fine. I noticed, when installing FSUIPC4, that it did a check for installed SimConnect(s), and it found three:

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)

Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)

Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

So, unless MS has changed the AP, it seems not a foregone conclusion that the required SimConnect library is missing from the AP version of SP2.

I also have only DotNET 3.5 installed, none other.

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)

Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)

Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

And SP2 SimConnect.DLL is build 61637 (19th Nov 2007) which is "not the same" as AP.

Please uninstall AP (only), download SP2, install it, uninstall it again and reinstall AP. Sorry for the inconvenience, but due to the inconsequence of MS release procedure in combination with restrictive license conditions for developers this is the only way.

If by some reason SP1 has also been uninstalled, to my knowledge SP1 is included on the AP-distribution DVDs in a separate directory, so no need to download this in addition.

best regards,

Peter

Please uninstall AP (only), download SP2, install it, uninstall it again and reinstall AP.

OK, thanks...downloading now.

Just to clarify, I should do this even though CumulusX seems to be running fine?

OK, thanks...downloading now.

Just to clarify, I should do this even though CumulusX seems to be running fine?

Oops, was so used to the older problem that I overlooked that you told the opposite. Though wondering why CumulusX! all of a sudden shouldn't crash with AP SimConnect anymore, that's weird. Might be, MS has changed the DLL's policy file, which controls the compatibility properties?

Anyhow, if it runs you should stick with your current configuration.

Sorry for the confusion.

best regards,

Peter

Anyhow, if it runs you should stick with your current configuration.

Will do. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

FWIW, I poked around on all 3 Gold disks. I could not find anywhere a separate folder or install of SP1.

Although there is an SP1.cab file, it does not contain the SimConnect.dll

There is another Products.cab file which contains several SimConnect.dll..etc files.

There is, of course, the SimConnect.dll for SP2 and its associated Manifest file.

Will do. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

FWIW, I poked around on all 3 Gold disks. I could not find anywhere a separate folder or install of SP1.

Although there is an SP1.cab file, it does not contain the SimConnect.dll

There is, of course, the SimConnect.dll for SP2 and its associated Manifest file.

I must say that I had the Acceleration Pack in mind which once I had access to.

best regards,

Peter