Idling throttles on "retard" call

bpcw001

Hi,

During the "retard" call, im pulling back the throttles from the CLB detent to idle. On my system, I made two observations:

1. when moving the throttles out of the CLB detent back to idle, thrust is not decreased. Engines only spool down as soon as I'm hitting IDLE.

2. When hitting IDLE, the MASTER CAUTION warning comes on and ECAM message is A/FLT A /THR OFF

Is that as it is supposed to be?

I've watched a couple of A320 cockpit vids on the net but I've never seen the master caution come on when the pilots retarded the throttles.

Hi,

During the "retard" call, im pulling back the throttles from the CLB detent to idle. On my system, I made two observations:

1. when moving the throttles out of the CLB detent back to idle, thrust is not decreased. Engines only spool down as soon as I'm hitting IDLE.

2. When hitting IDLE, the MASTER CAUTION warning comes on and ECAM message is A/FLT A /THR OFF

Is that as it is supposed to be?

I've watched a couple of A320 cockpit vids on the net but I've never seen the master caution come on when the pilots retarded the throttles.

Yes, point 2 is as it is supposed to be.

Thanks for your replies. So my setup seems to be OK. Good to know.

Still:

Why have I never seen the master caution light and sound up when the pilots landed and retarded the throttles in the real A320? Does AirbusX deviate from reality here or do I miss some crucial point?

Thanks for your clarifications.

Thanks for your replies. So my setup seems to be OK. Good to know.

Still:

Why have I never seen the master caution light and sound up when the pilots landed and retarded the throttles in the real A320? Does AirbusX deviate from reality here or do I miss some crucial point?

Thanks for your clarifications.

The master caution warning only sounds when the levers are disconnected via the quick disconnect buttons. I don't know if that is also possible on the flight simulator.

Can you put here the links to some of the videos where you saw that please?

There are many. Just do a search on youtube with "a320 cockpit landing", for example:

In none of all those videos I've watched has there ever been a master caution alert when pulling the throttles back to idle when "retard" announcement comes.

Makes me think that the master caution alert in AirbusX when retarding throttles is not quite "real-world".

Makes me think that the master caution alert in AirbusX when retarding throttles is not quite "real-world".

No, I already told that the master caution warning only sounds when the levers are disconnected via the quick disconnect buttons. But I can't say anything about Airbus X, I can only talk about the real one.

No, I already told that the master caution warning only sounds when the levers are disconnected via the quick disconnect buttons. But I can't say anything about Airbus X, I can only talk about the real one.

Exactly what I was trying to confirm with the posted video.

Just retarding the throttles during landing should *not* trigger the master caution, hence it is something for the Aerosoft guys to look into.

Well, there are 2 ways of disconnecting A/THR:

1. Standard disconnection: pilot pushes the instictive disconnect pushbutton on the thrust levers or the pilot sets both thrust levers to IDLE detent

2. Non standard disconnection: pilot pushes A/THR pushbutton from the FCU while armed/active or the system loses one of the arming conditions

Master caution is illuminated 3 sec max in first case (if above 50ft RA) or illuminated for disconnection by other means. Audio is single chime in all cases. At least this is what I know.

In your video they moved the throttles to idle below 50ft. I will check other videos.

Late edit: well, I made a short flight with Airbus X and I disconnected the A/THR under 50ft RA and caution was present. So, yes, this part maybe should be revised by Aerosoft. Maybe Finn will put it to the to-do list for the next update.