DHC-6 Twin Otter North Wright Airways

Alexshum

Hi,

When I saw the picture of the twotter of North Wright Airways I became interested to make the livery, because I like this one. So I did a lot of work and I think that you can fly this bird soon.

But do you have more pictures of this plane so I can make this livery as close as I can?

Kind regards,

Laurens

item.jpg?rot=1

item.jpg?rot=1

@Laurens

If you look at the original photo posted, near the ends of the wings, you are missing the band of white lines as per the tail section. Based on the some of these photos, the engine cowl needs to be reworked as well. Fine job so far

http://jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?airline=North-Wright%20Airways

http://www.north-wrightairways.com/

Hi,

Be patience :rolleyes: , I have a lot to do but if a have a little time left I work on this plane, now I'm working at the engine's and the wings.

But here are new screenshots, it is starting to look like the real one. But there is still work to do.

I think that I will fly this bird soon for some screenshots.

Laurens

item.jpg?rot=1

item.jpg?rot=1

item.jpg?rot=1

Based on the new shots, you've pretty much nailed it now. Only thing i'd suggest is the band of white lines on the wing should be closer together as on the tail, the original photo clearly shows that. Engine cowl looks much better now as well. Very nice :)

:clap_s: Really, very much the strong likeness with real colouring turns out, I in delight! Laurens, it is your first work on a livery of this airline? Simply I collect models of planes North-Wright Airways, but have found only a livery to plane Aerosoft BN-2 Islander... Unfortunately, it is not enough qualitative photos of planes North-Wright Airways.

post-31277-060024400 1288071279_thumb.jp

post-31277-041759500 1288071332_thumb.jp

Apologies for jumping into this thread, but I would like to do my own repaints of this plane, but cannot find any blank textures to work from, are they installed with the package or are they downloadable from elsewhere?

Next day edit! No worries, I ended up making one! :rolleyes:

thanks!

Goulash, you're right as you can see I have changed the lines.

Alexshum,

This is indeed my first paint for North Wright Airways. I did not hear from this company until your request.

What is it that you collect the liveries of this company?

I think I'm nearly finished this beauty.

Here are some screenshots.

item.jpg?rot=1

item.jpg?rot=1

item.jpg?rot=1

item.jpg?rot=1

item.jpg?rot=1

item.jpg?rot=1

item.jpg?rot=1

item.jpg?rot=1

I hope you like them.

At this moment it is the 300 do you want the 300 modern as well?

Avian,

Can you post a screenshot.

Laurens

Here are some screens, it is pretty rough and was made from the BAgps 600 modern model, but the strange thing is that the texture map seems to have shifted slightly, the props and the rear sides are showing its of texture they ought not, but I don't know what is causing it as the only thing I have altered is the colours. Changes were made in photoshop

Left side.jpg

Right side.jpg

Topside.jpg

Underside.jpg

Note the prop texture showing on the flank and the missaligned upper and lower sections.

Texture map left.jpg

Part of the lights? showing here

Texture map right.jpg

The props have shifted up to bring in the grey of the flank, correspondingly the lower section of the props as viewed in the editor are now showing on the flank of the plane

Texture map props.jpg

Is this a consequence of using both FSrepaint and photoshop?

Avian,

I see that your left engine has 6 prop blades?? So there is more not working well for you.

I use only photoshop and test in fsx. Did not have any of these problems.

Is it possible that you moved one of the layers in photoshop?

Laurens

Hi Laurens, thanks for your input here, I am only just beginning this art!  The texture files open in FS repaint with the six blades showing even on models I have not touched, I think therefore that it is displaying the prop model used for the startup and shutdown animations as you can also see the fully spinning prop texture showing at the same time so rather than that itself being a fault I think it is as it is meant to be.

I have been reworking the files and have found that I have possibly been less than precise when selecting areas, this explains the grey on the props, redoing the file with very careful selection has yielded a better result. An accurate map of each textures position would be handy as there are some parts that do not seem able to work. The leading edge of the tailfin encroaches onto the tyre (though this again may be due to some shift?)  

I have not though moved anything in PS, in fact all the editing I have done has been by use of hue and saturation changes with some copy and paste and clone stamp for retaining the rivets as I have not yet figure out how anyone can paint using FS repaint without obliterating the details of the rivets and suchlike, if you have any pointers that could help I would be most grateful.

A further discovery!  The problem seems to be caused by FS Repaint itself during the conversion process as each time I make an edit in Photoshop and save it, it appears OK in the FS repaint screen, but when I commit the edit by saving in FS repaint, the texture shift very slightly, but they do it everytime, so that by the time I have made several such changes, the texture shift has been quite large, I am seeing the effect even the the new texture I am working on, at first they were OK (specifically the props, as I was very careful to exclude them from any change) they looked OK, all black on the leading edge, I made a couple more changes elsewhere and now the leading edges are showing colour from the plane's belly, yet I have changed nothing on that file, and I am seeing all the texture shifting very slightly, even ones I am not working on. I will have to visit the Abacus forum to see if this is a know problem.

Hi Avian

You can donwload the DHC-6 paint-kit in the update secction. Prior to get the paint-kit, (if not done yet) You will have to registered your copy of the plane with the serial you got when you bought it.

I do not use the FSpaint program so i can not help you in this matter. I just use Photoshop and DXTbmp to make the repaints. Photoshop to make the repaint and save it as BMP and DXTbmp to convert that BMP to a DDS archive.

Good luck and best regards

Curro Candela

Kuroci, much thanks for that, I am now looking at the psd files and can see there is a world of difference here!  It will be much easier I think, once I get to grips with the different layers and how they work, than trying to paint from a converted .bmp  At least I hope so!

Avian,

I thought after you edited your first post that you did find the paint kit from Aerosoft.:blush:

So that explains why it didn't work for you.

As you can see now these files are more convenient to use. :D

I work always in layers, and I don't change the original layers it turn them off if not needed.

Good luck and I would like to see your progress with your paint.

Alexshum,

You can download the North Wright Airways livery for the 300 right now.

I hope you like it and let me know if there is somthing wrong with these files

Have fun.

Laurens

• Upvote 1

Nice job Laurens, the paint looks really good.

One question, how did you get the logo? i was searching for the tail logo a long time ago and i couldn't find a good resolution logo. Did you made it yourself?

Best regards

Curro Candela

Hi Laurens, I would like to DL the North Wright textures, but I am uncertain where they are?

This is my first crack at this using a paint kit, it wasn't too bad except for the line around the tail end, there was no logical path and it too a lot of trial and error to even get it this close, nowhere near perfect, but acceptable at a distance.

This Livery is entirely fictional and is designed to be used with a group on FSE.

Thanks for the help!

Above.jpg

Front.jpg

Left.jpg

Rear-right.jpg

Avian,

Although it is not my taste of livery, it looks good. :D Well except from the tail as you al ready saw.

The tail is indeed a difficult part of this paint kit, as there are more little difficult parts.

You could try to work with curved lines on the tail end to get it right. Be sure that you work on a new layer so you don't lose one you worked on for hours. I know that is a lot of work but it can be done, however some times you have to accept a compromise.

To make the North Wright Airways livery I had only a few pictures to look at and the most important one was the first in this topic because of the tail.

Have fun,

Laurens

Using Photoshop, I have yet to master the pen tool (Which I think it the tool for curves) at the present its logic escapes me! So I must have a closer look into that.

You forgot to link me your latest creation!

Avian,

On top of this page you find (just under Aerosoft) "downloads" then in Categories you choose "fsx repaints" and there is in the Categories "twin otter repaints" and there are a lot of beautiful repaint of this great aircraft. Of course is my repaint there also. But here is a direct link to my repaint.

The pen tool is indeed the tool to use for this problem (well I use it for paints I made for V-Bird VA).

Have fun,

Laurens