Looks great, first flight was terrible

august78

She looks great, the a320 does! Nice work on that.

I flew her from my home town of ENCN to the capitol ENGM (Norway). I usually fly pmdg or FSLabs, but I have also bought the A300 from Aerosoft b4. That was a very nice product as well! Flew wonderfully.

However, after programming the cdu, setting the V2+5 for the AT and the init climb, I give full throttle and accellerate down the runway. I reach VR and the nose goes up. V2, positive climb, gear up.

Thrust is set to TOGA in the PDF announciator. AT is active. I try to fly manually, wanting to follow the SID turning right.

OMG she is slow! Full deflection, and she hardly responds. I confirm both AP are off. All directions, up/down, left and right, are all slow to respond. I engage the AP, and she starts to follow the correct heading right away.

Hmmm, ok... I check my sensitivities and dead zones on my CH yoke and pedals, but they are set the way I always have them. Medium sensitivity, and no deadzone. This is how I find my other addon planes work the best. Should I up the sensitivity for airbus x?

Well, up we go, and finally at cruize FL230. It's just a short hop to ENGM, so no more than we have arrived, down we go again. As I pass the STAR entry point I disconnect the AP. I leave the AT on. It's currently in the idle position (not fully idle -aka all the way back. It's a little below the center. IDLE in the PDF ann.). At this point she is extremely sensitive to the vertical inputs, and it's hard finding the equillibrium point, but that's prolly just because im new to her. AT is controlling the speed according to the CDU, and she wants to slow to 220 as I get inbound to my last point b4 the FAF. I set flaps 1. A few seconds later the plane starts to nosedive. I check my speed: 220+ knots. I am well clear of the stall speed, actually nearer to overspeed. I bring the yoke all the way back. Nothing works! She does not respond. I activate AP and deactivate it immidiately (toggle it), and she comes back under controll. This happens two times, seemingly sporadic, but I am wondering if it could be related to the flaps. In both cases she was totally out of controll, and went "full nose down".

I have heard from friends who bought the Airbus X that it is not so good to handfly. That it was this bad I had no idea. I was figuring that I perhaps needed a patch or something, but found out I have the latest version, or so it seems (121). I actually managed to land her pretty nicely, but that was also a strange phenomenon coming in over the threshold. It was like she started to respond a whole lot quicker just as I came in for short final. It was quite noticable.

So, to sum it up: Sporadic nosedives, very very slow to respond on the inputs (up down left right + rudder). What gives?

Sincerely,

Andreas Stangenes

Norway

I have the same results as Andreas.

Having only just purchased the Airbus X on Saturday - and having tweaked and modded as best I can find in the forums.

It has very bad control issues - I find it hard to believe that it has been passed by RW Airbus pilots and up to Patch 1.21?

It flounders around the sky like a beached whale - the FBW does not hold pitch or bank in a turn, it is like the control inputs are stored and then

accelerated, as it does not respond then all of sudden goes + 20degrees up or left or down..

I understand the Airbus auto-flight orientation but this does not hand-fly like an A320/1

Very dissapointed - but hopeful

Scott

... the FBW does not hold pitch or bank in a turn, it is like the control inputs are stored and then...

That´s the problem of most users: they expect something wrong from FBW.

The FBW shouldn´t hold pitch and bank!

For the pitch axis, you command a g-load with the sidestick, not a certain pitch.

And for the roll-axis, you command a roll-rate, and not a bank.

That´s airbus - quite different than a conventional aircraft!

On the original airbus, if you command a roll to the left, your nose will also drop, bacause it holds

the g-load and not the pitch!

Try to fly the airbus with very little sidestick-deflections and you will see, that the default FBW is not that

bad. But nevertheless I agree, aerosoft should develope a new FBW to avoid many other issues (nosedrop etc.)

Timo

I think im noticing that the nosedives happen when approching the altitude select. I think the AT is adjusting the power settings when approaching the alt select, and then every input on the stick doesnt register. If I have done something wrong, please tell me.

Also, it does feel like the airbusx is programmed for use with a joystick, which of course is realistic. I dont know if my CH yoke and rudder pedals are in conflict with the code of the plane?

Read different parts of the forum, and followed the advice of turning off SEC1 on the captain side, and now she flies really well! I dont suppose it's supposed to be this way, but at least I got her managable this way.

I think im noticing that the nosedives happen when approching the altitude select. I think the AT is adjusting the power settings when approaching the alt select, and then every input on the stick doesnt register. If I have done something wrong, please tell me.

Also, it does feel like the airbusx is programmed for use with a joystick, which of course is realistic. I dont know if my CH yoke and rudder pedals are in conflict with the code of the plane?

Im using the CH yoke only as a throttle panel for the A320X. I use the Logitech Extreme 3D pro as my Sidestick. I have small problems with the CH throttles, sometimes in flight you can hear it clicking when the throttles are set in CLB Thrust. Im trying to play around

with the sensitivity at the moment. I also use the 2nd lever on top of the CH yoke to control my spoilers and i notice sometimes that after retracting them they do not return to their full retracted position visually anyway when looking at the speedbrake lever. Other than this im having no major

problems with the CH yoke or Logi 3D pro.

I also use the pedals from a Logitech G25 steering wheel for my rudder control. No probs as yet.

Im using the CH yoke only as a throttle panel for the A320X. I use the Logitech Extreme 3D pro as my Sidestick. I have small problems with the CH throttles, sometimes in flight you can hear it clicking when the throttles are set in CLB Thrust. Im trying to play around

with the sensitivity at the moment. I also use the 2nd lever on top of the CH yoke to control my spoilers and i notice sometimes that after retracting them they do not return to their full retracted position visually anyway when looking at the speedbrake lever. Other than this im having no major

problems with the CH yoke or Logi 3D pro.

I also use the pedals from a Logitech G25 steering wheel for my rudder control. No probs as yet.

**sorry i was in a rush for work and thought i was editing the post on top of this one but was actually replying again lol.

Well, after being able to fly her quite well and stabile, I feel confident that my ch yoke and rudder pedals are absolutely compatible with the a32x. What seemed to be the problem was the FBW system, speficically the SEC1 part. I have no idea what this system is supposed to controll, but whatever it is, it doesnt work for me.

Well, after being able to fly her quite well and stabile, I feel confident that my ch yoke and rudder pedals are absolutely compatible with the a32x. What seemed to be the problem was the FBW system, speficically the SEC1 part. I have no idea what this system is supposed to controll, but whatever it is, it doesnt work for me.

The 3 SEC (Spoiler Elevator Computer) computers from Airbus are responsible for spoilers control, standby elevator and stabilizer control.

Normally (as a very short example) for pitch control, it is done by ELAC1 and 2 computers, if they failed then control is done by SEC1 or SEC2.

The 3 SEC (Spoiler Elevator Computer) computers from Airbus are responsible for spoilers control, standby elevator and stabilizer control.

Normally (as a very short example) for pitch control, it is done by ELAC1 and 2 computers, if they failed then control is done by SEC1 or SEC2.

So if I understand you correctly, the SEC1 is a redundant system for controlling the pitch? So when the plane flies perfectly fine with SEC1 disabled, it would indicate that there is a problem with either the ELAC1, or more plausible, the SEC1 redundant system.

Logically, one can deduct that since I'm not disabling the SEC2 system, the ELAC1/2 computers are not failing, but the SEC1 is taking over the pitch control and conflicting with stick control. SEC2 is still online and should replace the function of SEC1, and SEC2 seems to be working fine. Whaddaya think?

So if I understand you correctly, the SEC1 is a redundant system for controlling the pitch? So when the plane flies perfectly fine with SEC1 disabled, it would indicate that there is a problem with either the ELAC1, or more plausible, the SEC1 redundant system.

Logically, one can deduct that since I'm not disabling the SEC2 system, the ELAC1/2 computers are not failing, but the SEC1 is taking over the pitch control and conflicting with stick control. SEC2 is still online and should replace the function of SEC1, and SEC2 seems to be working fine. Whaddaya think?

I gave one small example. Theory is extremely complex for Airbus's fly-by-wire. We should not discuss it really, in connection with Airbus X.

I don't know and I didn't checked what Aerosoft implemented behind the FLT CTL switches, I suppose only protections and a simplified model...

Nowadays I perform takeoff as well as final approach and final to touchdown with FBW disabled. It´s a bit annoying but then the plane is high in precision to handle.