Manual Landing Tip 1.21: No wobble no nosedive

HopeFly

Hello Folks,

it's nearly impossible to manual land the Airbus X with full fly by wire. The plane is wobbling up and down and left and right. Nearly no chance to bring the bird soft to the runway center.

I'm not a pilot and i don't know much about the fly by wire system of a real Airbus but i made some tests with FLTCTL Section in the Overhead Panel on the left side. If i push the button SEC 1 to off the plane is good to handle. I have absolutly no plan what it is for but if the SEC 1 is off the plane flies like a Project Airbus A318. The 2 top sliders (Höhenruder, Querruder ;) ) of my joystick sensitivity are full right.

I have done 3 autopilot approches till about 1000 feet over ground (TlyTampa KBOS with only 12 fps) then i did switch the autopilot and autothrottle off...no nosedive...SEC 1 allways off...3 soft landings. :) I think it's no normal procedure in a real Airbus but it works as work around until the wobble problem is fixed by Aerosoft.

Greetings

HopeFly

P.S. Nice plane for a quick round

• Upvote 2

thanks for your help.

now my bus flies "normal". the wobbling (delayed up and down pitching) has gone. i just wonder if it's normal that the button should be switched off.

has someone else experienced the wobbling?

No idea why you have a wobble, I find manual approaches to be very straightforward. Turning the FBW off as you've done is basically making it fly like a Boeing using manual trim. In case it makes a difference, I have my controller (x52) set up using all default settings and in FS all realism sliders to the right.

thanks for your help.

now my bus flies "normal". the wobbling (delayed up and down pitching) has gone. i just wonder if it's normal that the button should be switched off.

has someone else experienced the wobbling?

Updatet

Well year have the same problem as seems like before whit nosedive now they just gave it an pitch up effect to corect. but seems to have different effect on the systems. think it is based on the frame not sure but think.

let mee explane it again what happens when FBW is on as told many times before when AP is turned off plane decents that is an bug that you would find by flyeing the default plane microsoft included in FSX. and since it is the default FBW in use in the Airbus X it works the same way and caused Nose dive whit update in some way it gets pitch up when autopilot is disconectet to, therfor fist a litel decent then a climb, the same about 100ft. Hope that explanes, but remember it is my test results and not based on pro programing knowledge. but found by editing some things and see the results.

Maybe delayed input is a better description, like Vikki said. Starting to move the stick up, down, left and right seems to have no big delay if the SEC 1switch is on, but the bus starts to move to slow. If i stop to move the stick to one of the directions the bus moves on a little...delay. Moving the stick back to the center has the delay too. If the stick is back in the center the bus does not directly stop to increase or decrease his angle. It does stop with a delay of about 1 second. It is a feeling like flying on a rubber band.

Yes Paul, it is like flying a Boeing but i don't have to trim manual. The trim wheel is moving itself. With the default controller settings i have the problem too. I don't think it's a controller problem. I hope that the developers know more about the behaviour.

The default FSX Airbus has a similar flight characteristic like the Airbus X with the activated SEC 1. The Wilco A320 does not have the wobble feeling but a trim problem. And it's more easy to manual land a CaptainSim 767 as the Airbus X with full FBW. The delay is much more a problem for me than the new noseup after AP disconnecting in version 1.21 with FBW on.

Maybe delayed input is a better description, like Vikki said. Starting to move the stick up, down, left and right seems to have no big delay if the SEC 1switch is on, but the bus starts to move to slow. If i stop to move the stick to one of the directions the bus moves on a little...delay. Moving the stick back to the center has the delay too. If the stick is back in the center the bus does not directly stop to increase or decrease his angle. It does stop with a delay of about 1 second. It is a feeling like flying on a rubber band.

Yes Paul, it is like flying a Boeing but i don't have to trim manual. The trim wheel is moving itself. With the default controller settings i have the problem too. I don't think it's a controller problem. I hope that the developers know more about the behaviour.

The default FSX Airbus has a similar flight characteristic like the Airbus X with the activated SEC 1. The Wilco A320 does not have the wobble feeling but a trim problem. And it's more easy to manual land a CaptainSim 767 as the Airbus X with full FBW. The delay is much more a problem for me than the new noseup after AP disconnecting in version 1.21 with FBW on.

ok so it is the delay of the controls you are talking about thats another talk. can bee corected to a more comfortable but thats by changesing some things. by the way already tryeing to find a way out

Update think it just gona work whit out FBW have tryeid so many things but sems to walk in a ring. so if i do a fix it would be removing the nose down and up when ap is turned off, hope at 100 ft to but time would show. as im not the guy who knows how to edit FBW. i saw you was talking about Wilco had trim problems dont remember as not used it much as i always had problems whit throttle. But about trim mabee it is also a way of pushing the 2 systems to the limits.

that's exactly what i wanted to say hopefly. the action always takes too much time and the little backmove, which i just experience when i'm pushing/pulling my joystick (only nose up and down movements, left and right banking works fine imho), makes my plane approach much less smooth, because i'm always trying to find a balance between too steep and too slow descent... i don't think this is the case in real aviation?

that's exactly what i wanted to say hopefly. the action always takes too much time and the little backmove, which i just experience when i'm pushing/pulling my joystick (only nose up and down movements, left and right banking works fine imho), makes my plane approach much less smooth, because i'm always trying to find a balance between too steep and too slow descent... i don't think this is the case in real aviation?

+1

Here the left and right banking is to delayed too. I hope it is posdible to fix it by Aerosoft. I think that such an expensive Addon Plane which really does not simulate much airbus features should at least have nearly realistic flight physics. A comment of a developer or Shaun would be nice.

corect but why is there an delay, thats simpel as the default plane have it to but why i think it in some way was done to get more realsitic control but would say yes hard in use as abit to long delay before it moves, need some adjust ment. As many add-ons sems not to have the effect of real plane, but this is some kind of the closest i have seen in the add-ons i have to do delay. Becaus in real plane you have delay and that is logic becaus how would you do to turn such an heavy plane. there will be biger delay as biger the plane gets. as i self tryeid simulators to educate pilots (Piper and ATR simulator) also logic.

corect but why is there an delay, thats simpel as the default plane have it to but why i think it in some way was done to get more realsitic control but would say yes hard in use as abit to long delay before it moves, need some adjust ment. As many add-ons sems not to have the effect of real plane, but this is some kind of the closest i have seen in the add-ons i have to do delay. Becaus in real plane you have delay and that is logic becaus how would you do to turn such an heavy plane. there will be biger delay as biger the plane gets. as i self tryeid simulators to educate pilots (Piper and ATR simulator) also logic.

what you say is right, but I don't think you know what i mean. E.g. when i push my joystick forward, which is the command for pushing the plane's nose down, it feels like pushing the pitch in some kind of notch (got that expression from a dictionary, i'm no native speaker) where it should rest. Now as i think this is part of the FBW i ain't got a problem with that. The only thing disturbing me is the little backmove, for example: when i reached my preferred angle for descent, i leave my joystick in neutral position and that's where the nose of the plane gets up a little bit, which makes him wobbling, because i'm trying to give it the same descent angle as before. I don't know how to explain better...

what you say is right, but I don't think you know what i mean. E.g. when i push my joystick forward, which is the command for pushing the plane's nose down, it feels like pushing the pitch in some kind of notch (got that expression from a dictionary, i'm no native speaker) where it should rest. Now as i think this is part of the FBW i ain't got a problem with that. The only thing disturbing me is the little backmove, for example: when i reached my preferred angle for descent, i leave my joystick in neutral position and that's where the nose of the plane gets up a little bit, which makes him wobbling, because i'm trying to give it the same descent angle as before. I don't know how to explain better...

OK now i understand and yes. try move to the outside and see what happens to the stabilizer when you try to climb or decent a bit then hands of controls see what it dose, seems like it dose the same as when AP is turned off the trim up/down effect.

OK now i understand and yes. try move to the outside and see what happens to the stabilizer when you try to climb or decent a bit then hands of controls see what it dose, seems like it dose the same as when AP is turned off the trim up/down effect.

ok now i'm able to handle the delayed pitch (you mustn't confuse yourself when it's a bit delayed). But now i experienced a new issue: when i reached 400 ft RA the plane pitches down automatically and i'm unable to pull up the nose ( very fast descend which made me scared so i pulled my joystick backwards to the limit) until reaching 100 ft RA where it goes up like paper in a tornado. Has anyone else had the same?

ok now i'm able to handle the delayed pitch (you mustn't confuse yourself when it's a bit delayed). But now i experienced a new issue: when i reached 400 ft RA the plane pitches down automatically and i'm unable to pull up the nose ( very fast descend which made me scared so i pulled my joystick backwards to the limit) until reaching 100 ft RA where it goes up like paper in a tornado. Has anyone else had the same?

I do experience exactly the same behaviour of the Airbus when landing manually. At 400 ft the nose dives down and it is nearly impossible to recover it.

I do not understand why this problem is obviously not concerning all users.

I do experience exactly the same behaviour of the Airbus when landing manually. At 400 ft the nose dives down and it is nearly impossible to recover it.

I am finding the latest patch 1.21 can give very smooth manual landings.

The earlier versions had the nose dive at around 100' and for me this has been corrected.

In the latest version I find a gentle nose up at 100' which is manageable, but not ideal.

Are the developers unable to see exactly what is happening within the simulation in the final seconds of a manual landing to be able to correct this? I don't see this happening in other propellor addons although I don't fly the default Airbus to compare.

Paul

I also agree that now it is more stable and it is usable most of the time. Only descent and approach suffer from the missing MCDU functions, but

if at some point MCDU functionality will be improved then can be used properly and reliable.

Jigedi,

Try deleting the fsx.cfg file, then start FSX and give it a try.

Bob

yes i have the same problem also with the V1.21

nosedive down arround 400'

-if i don t touch anything my plane crashed

-if i try to pull up no reponse of the plane and then suddently the nose give up and no way to to put it down again

hope they will find a way to correct the problem

brgds

Hi, I had the wobbling effect on approaches with my logitech g940 force feedbackstick, turning off the SEC1button helped, no wobbling at all:)

I changed joystick to a stick without force feedback and the wobbling and all sort of rapid pitchchanges dissapeared, even with SEC1 on:)

Maybe the bus doesnt handle force feedback very well??

My G940stick has no defined neutral position, i think that is causing some problems.

Happy flying.

This is obviously a problem in this product and not a matter of trying to get "used" to FBW. Many planes (IRL) are, as someone stated above, sluggish and slow-responding especially in the lower speed register and full flaps configuration, but not in this manner, that would be absurd. An aibrus-pilot wrote somewhere that he could land the real airbus in his sleep but not the Aibus X. Myself I have not flewn an Airbus IRL so I can not refer to IRL-experience according to that. I think this product is superb mostly and I am sure that Aerosoft developers will solve the problem further on. Until then, I make the odd but working procedure of disabling FBW during TO and final approach/landing. Even if, as someone wrote, that turns the airbus into a boeing, it´s still much more of a pilots delight than crashing 500 meters before touchdown or landing the bird on the apron. Otherwise, I think this product is a fantastic piece of work.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I did a clean install of FSX + SP1, SP2, Aerosoft GAP 3 Hamburg, Madeira X and Airbus X 1.21.

I faced same situation in final approach of Madeira. At around 400 ft (which is short after lining up to extended centerline on approach RWY05.) the nose dived down a little (at least too much for the glide) and no chance to pull up. The speed was around 160 kts with flaps fully retracted.

The only way to recover from this situation was to apply TO/GA and do a "go around".

Was it my fault?

BR Jan

Yesterday I did a clean install of FSX + SP1, SP2, Aerosoft GAP 3 Hamburg, Madeira X and Airbus X 1.21.

I faced same situation in final approach of Madeira. At around 400 ft (which is short after lining up to extended centerline on approach RWY05.) the nose dived down a little (at least too much for the glide) and no chance to pull up. The speed was around 160 kts with flaps fully retracted.

The only way to recover from this situation was to apply TO/GA and do a "go around".

Was it my fault?

BR Jan

Your fault was to try to land with retracted flaps. Try the same with flaps 4 and take care of your maximum landing weight.

Timo

Your fault was to try to land with retracted flaps. Try the same with flaps 4 and take care of your maximum landing weight.

Timo

Hi Timo,

sorry, I meant fully extended not retracted :blush: . I had Flaps 4. I'll check the landing weight tonight, but anyway this nose issue isn't the way it should be, is it?

Thanks

Jan

Hi Timo,

sorry, I meant fully extended not retracted :blush: . I had Flaps 4. I'll check the landing weight tonight, but anyway this nose issue isn't the way it should be, is it?

Thanks

Jan

I see what you mean quick departure full flaps i know not real but found that stabilizer and elevator stoped responding at few houndret feets above ground, flyeid around wanted to land and never tryeid that kind of dive controls was locked again. cant tell any thing of why els i already said so many times before. This test was whit default fs control as i normaly use FSUIPC so never treid locked controls like this.