auto descent and descent speed

Tim Capps

Is there a trick to getting the airplane to start down at the TD point?

Will the too-fast descent be fixed in the next version, or is it conisidered a non-problem to be addressed by the liberal activation of speed brakes and/or manually idling the trottles?

The descent speed issue alone makes the difference between it staying on my hard drive or being written off and sent to the boneyard.

Is there a trick to getting the airplane to start down at the TD point?

Will the too-fast descent be fixed in the next version, or is it conisidered a non-problem to be addressed by the liberal activation of speed brakes and/or manually idling the trottles?

The descent speed issue alone makes the difference between it staying on my hard drive or being written off and sent to the boneyard.

With version 1.20 the descent should start automatically when you are in managed mode AND if you have entered the desired altitude beforehand! If you don't change the alt, the plane will think you want to stay there. If you are not in managed more (or forgot to enter the desired altitude) you will have to start the descent manually by setting the alt and push or pulling the alt knob or pressing EXPD. Since you are having speed problems, I wouldn't use EXPD. I'd go for pushing the alt knob and using the speed brake or pulling the alt knob and use a more gentle v/s (in which case you may have to start the descent BEFORE TD).

Use of the speed brake is normal (although it's needed a bit too much with this Airbus). I'd never idle the throttles: I'd keep it up to the AP and AT etc. to take care of that.

If I had to choose between sending the Airbus to the boneyard or simply using the speed brake... I'd use the speed brake. happy.gif It's not unrealistic to use it, even though, as I said, it's needed a lot with particular plane.

With version 1.20 the descent should start automatically when you are in managed mode AND if you have entered the desired altitude beforehand! If you don't change the alt, the plane will think you want to stay there. If you are not in managed more (or forgot to enter the desired altitude) you will have to start the descent manually by setting the alt and push or pulling the alt knob or pressing EXPD. Since you are having speed problems, I wouldn't use EXPD. I'd go for pushing the alt knob and using the speed brake or pulling the alt knob and use a more gentle v/s (in which case you may have to start the descent BEFORE TD).

Use of the speed brake is normal (although it's needed a bit too much with this Airbus). I'd never idle the throttles: I'd keep it up to the AP and AT etc. to take care of that.

If I had to choose between sending the Airbus to the boneyard or simply using the speed brake... I'd use the speed brake. happy.gif It's not unrealistic to use it, even though, as I said, it's needed a lot with particular plane.

I undesrtand you don't believe it is a problem. I respectfully disagree. I suppose the upshot of this thread is no, there will be no changes in the descent / speed issue.

• Upvote 2