Autoland in a Thunderstorm...

petermcleland

I'm getting on well with my Conversion Course and today managed an Autoland at McLeland Field in pretty wet weather. I had to first insert PAMA with all its fixes, aids, approaches and runways into the iFly database. I also fitted the auxilliary fuel tanks and the spray effect from the reverse thrust on a wet or snowy runway. Here are half a dozen pictures that I took today:-

spray00.jpg

Crossed the fence and in the auto Flare.

spray01.jpg

Tower view as I pass...note the spray.

spray02.jpg

Even more noticeable here in Spot view.

spray03.jpg

I have the Autobrake set for max and I'm a bit over the max landing weight...

spray04.jpg

...but managing to stop on my rather short runway. Here seen in VC cockpit as I'm nearly stopped.

spray05.jpg

Parked next to an old Continental B727.

My aircraft is the BBJ3 from iFly Developments...thanks for looking :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Great pictures!

Is there really that much wing flex on a 737?

I would not be surprised if that is the correct amount of wing flex...I've never flown in one of these later models but Boeing wings do tend to flex a lot. I once flew in a B744 in a passenger seat on the right side...When I looked across the aircraft out of a left side window as we taxied out, I found I was looking straight at the left wing tiplet. As we took off I looked at that tiplet until it rose up out of sight. I even put my head down into the aisle as low as I could get it, but the wingtip was still out of sight :rolleyes:

• Aerosoft

I would not be surprised if that is the correct amount of wing flex...I've never flown in one of these later models but Boeing wings do tend to flex a lot. I once flew in a B744 in a passenger seat on the right side...When I looked across the aircraft out of a left side window as we taxied out, I found I was looking straight at the left wing tiplet. As we took off I looked at that tiplet until it rose up out of sight. I even put my head down into the aisle as low as I could get it, but the wingtip was still out of sight :rolleyes:

I'll assume the wing 'can' flex that much, but on nearly all FS addons I find the developers have to exaggerate the effect a lot to make it visible. I understand that, you spend a bloody lot of time on it and if it is fully realistic nobody will see it otherwise.