Nvidia Inspector!

Hiflyer

This is a heads up for those who have not heard of this tool yet. Essentially it allows you to assign the fsx settings that you ordinarily might have had to use Nhancer for.

Here is a download link and a link to nicks updated guide.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-Inspector-1.92-download-2612.html

http://www.simforums.com/forums/fsx-and-nhancer-settings-for-new-drivers-updated_topic36586.html

Have fun!

WOw there's a quick way to throw out half your framerate just follows Nicks useless advice...

And you are the genius who knows better?

Nick knows what he is talking about, and shares his advice for free.

If you can do better go right ahead.

• Deputy Sheriffs

You're right, but in this case this tools doesn't work in the way Nick describes it. So I restored his old settings and deleted the "Inspector".

You're right, but in this case this tools doesn't work in the way Nick describes it. So I restored his old settings and deleted the Inspector

And you were using Nvidia driver 257 or later as listed in the instructions?

Like I said I don't need to turn my system into a stuttering slide show which is what Nicks optimizations will give you. You ever wonder why some people don't need bufferpools=0, it's because we don't listen to people like Nick in the first place.

This is the same guy who after all insisted that Nvidias Tools didn't work and you had to use nhancer... now that nhancer is no longer under development he's back to using Nvidia tools..... kind of schizo if you ask me.

• Deputy Sheriffs

And you were using Nvidia driver 257 or later as listed in the instructions?

Yes 258.96, but no problem, as everything works fine and no need for the Inspector. ;)

Yes 258.96, but no problem, as everything works fine and no need for the Inspector.;)

Cool. :)

Not for everyone, it seems.

The main advantage to me, besides a better, more coherent Interface was that the Fsx profile is no longer global to all the games I run. I had always hated dealing with that.

WOw there's a quick way to throw out half your framerate just follows Nicks useless advice...

Hmmmmmm.......

We must be talking about a different Nick. The one I am speaking of has always stressed in his guides the need to check changes systematically, and given copious notices not only that results can vary from system to system, but that users also needed to experiment to see which changes (if any) worked best for their particular setups.

• Upvote 3

Like I said I don't need to turn my system into a stuttering slide show which is what Nicks optimizations will give you. You ever wonder why some people don't need bufferpools=0, it's because we don't listen to people like Nick in the first place.

This is the same guy who after all insisted that Nvidias Tools didn't work and you had to use nhancer... now that nhancer is no longer under development he's back to using Nvidia tools..... kind of schizo if you ask me.

You are confusing (on purpose I feel) Nick Needham with someone else. Nowhere in his optimisation guide does Nick propose the use of the bufferpools tweak. As for your second point all it shows is ignorance.

Here are Nick's advised fsx.cfg tweaks (copied and pasted from his W7 optimisation guide found here):

-----

Close FSX and add this to your FSX.cfg

[Display]

WideViewAspect=True //If widescreen monitor in use otherwise False

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=xx //Most will use 70 to 80

If you are on a higher end system, start with 80 but BE AWARE this value may be best at the default of 30 or 40. You must test fly and tune.

[Main]

HideInfoText=1 <--- unless you want that annoying text on the screen, then dont use this

DisablePreload=1

and PLEASE DONT ADD ANY OTHER EDITS at this point.. , including AFFINITY MASK, OR BUFFERPOOL ENTRY!!

Do not increase scenery radius in the FSX.cfg! This is NOT THE TIME to mess with tweaks like that, this is the time to get the SLIDERS RIGHT first and push the tweaks to see how far you can get, LATER!

-----

So, please do us all a favour and take your stupid and uninformed agenda elsewhere, ok?

• Upvote 2

Yeah please explain the part where he goes on for 3 years saying the Nvidia tools don't work, and please explain the change of heart. Are you saying it took Nvidia 3+ years to fix a bug... Oh that's right everyone of you avoided that question the first time.... don't bother

Sharrow: youre the idiot who can't think for himself... TWEAKS DON"T DO ANYTHING IN AN EVENT BASED PROGRAM!!!

Now I"m writing like NiCK

Yeah please explain the part where he goes on for 3 years saying the Nvidia tools don't work, and please explain the change of heart. Are you saying it took Nvidia 3+ years to fix a bug... Oh that's right everyone of you avoided that question the first time.... don't bother

Sharrow: youre the idiot who can't think for himself... TWEAKS DON"T DO ANYTHING IN AN EVENT BASED PROGRAM!!!

It is simple: Nvidia drivers began failing to provide elevated levels of antialiasing and anisotropic filtering years ago. This is common knowledge, hence even the need for a program like Nhancer. It did take Nvidia 3 years to correct the problem. Their approach finally required a radical recoding of their driver languages, which then rendered Nhancer inoperable. These are all facts you could have discovered for yourself on the Nhancer forums, had you had taken the time to educate yourself. The programmer for Nhancer has needed to take some time off for personal reasons, and has been unable to release a new program that shares the same programming language as the newest Nvidia drivers, so no more working Nhancer.

That is why Nick now suggests the use of another tool, namely the Nvidia Inspector. So it is your posts, bionicCrab, that are the ones based on non-factual knowledge and ignorance. Nick's suggestions do not result in a slideshow, but perhaps users not smart enough to know how to implement Nick's suggested tweaks and only mess things up further might end up arriving at that conclusion... <_<

So please, stop digging your own grave and do some actual research...any further posts maintaining what you have already stated is only going to further the fact that you are not well informed on this subject at all.

You are out of line disrespecting another developer on these forums. Nick's advice has been very good over the years and has influenced the system I have today. I am sticking up for him here, but I have had disagrements with him at times.

Some tweaks work for some and not for others. It really does depend on your set up. I use very few tweaks now as technology/drivers have advanced.

I am very grateful to him re-engineering the Nvidia drivers that are used on the GTX 480 amongst others i.e the latest drivers. Nhancer was taking no effect and the anti-aliasing was terrible. Thanks to Nick the drivers now work fine with the the GTX 480 and FSX.

If you have an issue with Nick please go on the Flight1 forums and I'm sure he will be happy to challenge your points. Don't bring your arguments here.

Chris

Don't bring your arguments baseless rants here.

Chris

Modified slightly for you Chris. ;) I would not go so far as to label his posts to this discussion as "arguments", as there is simply nothing substantial about them.