Andras Field USA

Here is an updated map including the Orbix PNW kmz file.

andrasusa2.jpg

One reason why I was plugging Hamilton was its proximity to PNW and also to other scenic areas. If you draw an arc southeast from Seattle to Denver then arc southwest to San Diego to form a rough semi circle in the western US, Hamiltion is pretty near the center of that circle. That semi circle would include PNW, Glacier Park, the Rockies, Yosemite, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Monument valley,...etc most of which are within the range of typical GA aircraft. This would allow the pilot to experience differing types of terrain depending on the direction he/she decided to fly. Kill Devil Hills would offer have a simlar advantage for the sights in th eastern US. Anyway many great possiblities :) in the meantime im still gonna keep hoping for a plot at Andras:lol:

just for ducks with FS Commander i figured some direct distances in nautical miles from Hamilton to other local, regional, major destinations.

Novato - KDVO - 6

Petaluma O69 - 13

Napa KAPC - 14

Oakland KOAK - 24

San Francisco KSFO - 27

Travis AFB KSUU - 30

Santa Rosa KSTS - 31

Moffet Field - 44

San Jose KSJC - 50

Sacramento KSMF - 58

Ukiah KUKI - 72

Beale AFB - 82

Monterey KMRY - 94

Redding KRDD - 147

Reno/Tahoe KRNO - 155

Lemoore NAS KNLC - 160

Arcata/Eureka KACV - 190

San Luis Obispo KSBP - 192

Mojave KMHV - 277

Edwards AFB KEDW - 292

Van Nuys KVNY - 302

Los Angeles KLAX - 317

Area 51 AR51 - 322...my avatar has relatives here :lol:

Catalina KAVX - 343

Las Vegas KLAS - 372

Eugene KEUG - 365

Palm Springs KPSP - 386

San Diego KSAN - 412

Boise KBOI - 436

Portland KPDX - 452

Grand Canyon KGCN - 512

Salt Lake City KSLC - 514

Flagstaff KFLG - 550

Seattle KSEA - 563

Idaho Falls KIDA - 575

Spokane KGEG - 614

Tucson KTUS - 670

Vancouver CYVR - 669

Helena KHLN - 692

Glacier Park KFCA - 712

Yellow Stone KCOD - 720

Aspen KASE - 735

Albuquerque KABQ - 786

Casper KCPR - 786

Santa Fe KSAF - 801

Colorado Springs KCOS - 837

Denver KDEN - 838

El Paso KELP -876

Roswell KROW - 920

Wichita KICT - 1185

Oklahoma City - 1205

Omaha KOMA - 1239

Dallas KDFW - 1278

San Antonio KSAT - 1298

Kansas City KMCI - 1299

Juneau PAJN - 1305

Minneapolis KMSP - 1370

Little Rock KLT - 1470

St Louis KSTL - 1504

Oshkosh KOSH -1566

Memphis KMEM - 1570

Milwuakee KMKE - 1594

Chicago KORD - 1596

Mexico City MMMX - 1655

New Orleans KNEW - 1675

Indianapolis KIND - 1683

Louisville KSDF - 1724

Anchorage PANC - 1724

Cincinnati KCVG - 1764

Wright Patterson AFB - 1784

Detroit KDTW - 1797

Columbus KCMH - 1835

Atlanta KATL - 1858

Pittsburgh KPIT - 1950

Toronto CYYZ - 1952

Niagra KIAG - 1985

Charlotte KCLT - 1992

Unalaska PADU - 2024

Tampa KTPA - 2082

Honolulu PHNL - 2083

Ottawa CYOW - 2112

Washington DC KDCA - 2114

Baltimore KBWI - 2127

Orlando KMCO - 2128

Kill Devil Hills KFFA - 2223

New York KJFK - 2237

Miami KMIA - 2250

Boston KBOS - 2338

Bangor KBGR - 2404

Panama City MPTO - 2901

St. Maarten TNCM - 3306

Tokyo RJTT - 4451

London EGLL - 4630

Andras EAFS - 5083

hehe got a little carried away with it but you get the idea, you can draw an even larger semi circle from Alaska to Central Canada to New England to Florida to the Caribbean to Central America to Hawaii and be somewhat in the middle. If you plane can make it to Hawaii, then you can Island hop on to Australia. East Asia and West Europe are fairly equidistant from Hamilton as well :) .

Cheers

TJ

Yes another vote for the PNW area!!

Just my two cents:

I doubt the PNW area is a nice idea.

Would be perhaps nice for those who have that particular scenery package, but for those NOT having it, would cause so much compatibility headaches and technical problems, that I'd definitely go for an "untouched area' regardless wherever that might be.

Andras

Just my two cents:

I doubt the PNW area is a nice idea.

Would be perhaps nice for those who have that particular scenery package, but for those NOT having it, would cause so much compatibility headaches and technical problems, that I'd definitely go for an "untouched area' regardless wherever that might be.

Andras

Realistically there is very little "Untouched areas" in FSX these days. Aerosoft would not develop the scenery with only PNW customers in mind. They would instead develop it off of the stock FSX scenery and then make it compatible with the PNW scenery in some way either a patch or something else. PNW area is a beautiful one even if you don't have the PNW software. It has so many possibilities and would be a highway to so many payware sceneries like PNW Tongass X etc... There are also so many little airports and major airports around there. You could fly south to Cali and hit up the legendary Van Nuys airport. Or go north to Seattle or AK. You could go inland to Colorado and view the Rockies. It is just such a beautiful area and with all kinds of weather and seasons.

Just my 2 cents though

you know somthing to think about too, Orbix is going to eventually cover more than just PNW, from their 'planned' page it looks like the Rockies and Northern California will be covered eventually. So wherever we end up we can look foward to great scenery in this region.

http://fullterrain.com/product_roadmap.html

Cheers

TJ

New guy here and I am PUMPED for an Andras Field USA! Can't wait! This is where FS should be headed and I happy Aerosoft is taking us there. It would be great if the community were online 24/7 so no matter what time of day you logged one, you could fine someone hanging out. Kind of like Second Life, without the strange half-cat/half-human creatures running around.

I vote North Carolina. Kill Devil Hills area around the Outer Banks would be amazing. Great scenery and fun flying. My wife and I took hang gliding lessons there and had a blast. Birth place of flight, ya know.

Anyway, you guys are the best, and I can't wait to see the final product.

Dave In Raleigh

Hi all,

my vote goes to the PNW, too. Man, I loved the times back in FS9 with Orcas Island as my preferred base. So what about a small island over there? Speed boat ferries as a connection to Seattle and Vancouver would be sufficient I think ;) Plenty of room for houses and and enough water for our cats... In the end something around KORS would be great.

Cheers

Thorsten

Hi all,

my vote goes to the PNW, too. Man, I loved the times back in FS9 with Orcas Island as my preferred base. So what about a small island over there? Speed boat ferries as a connection to Seattle and Vancouver would be sufficient I think ;) Plenty of room for houses and and enough water for our cats... In the end something around KORS would be great.

Cheers

Thorsten

I agree, but I think we need to go a little south of there as the VIC+ freeware scenery covers the orcas island and most of the area north/north west of there, I think we should go more towards Emma or Diamond. But very beautiful area for sure. Anyone who used to fly Emma would still love the area I think. :rolleyes:

See ya, Rockitglider :D

It looked like Orbix will be doing a detailed Orcas Island on their 'to do' list. If we were going to go PNW I would definately be up for it, especially one of the coastal towns like Tillamook or Astoria or some place like that. Just got Walter Sutton's farm...absolutely beautiful scenery. However I understand Mr. Andras's concern about the headaches of scenerey conflicts for those who have/dont have PNW.

'What if' perhaps there could be some collaboration with Orbix and Aerosoft on a region that is on their planned list like the Rockies, Northern CA, Pacific Fjords, NZ..etc. That way the bugs could be worked out ahead of time. And since Andras Europe works with both the default scenery and the German South scenery, I would imagine it could be worked out to be compatible with the default and an Orbix mesh. With the following of Orbix fans, I would imagine an AndrasUSA type airport within their boundries would be quite popular and a hot seller.

Perhaps somthing to satisfy both east and west coasties, maybe in the short term go for your Andras USA east in say the NC or NE regions. What about a 'man made' island/airport somewhere in the intercostal waterway near Kill Devil Hills. And then for the longer term work with Orbix with one of their planned regions for Andras USA west, and perhaps in the far future Andras NZ or somthing.

Anyway lots of ideas :)

Cheers

TJ

New Hampshire was mentioned earlier and I agree. Mountains, real seasonal change, snow, fall foliage...very rural yet Montreal, Boston, Portland, Maine not far away. Ripe for development...plenty of space tucked in the valleys. Not crowded and worth considering. New England has a varied climate. It's not boring, flat or mono-seasonal.

New Hampshire was mentioned earlier and I agree. Mountains, real seasonal change, snow, fall foliage...very rural yet Montreal, Boston, Portland, Maine not far away. Ripe for development...plenty of space tucked in the valleys. Not crowded and worth considering. New England has a varied climate. It's not boring, flat or mono-seasonal.

maybe new England would be even better, but a littlebit to cold for me :/

here is an updated map including kmz files for Orbix soon release Pacific Fjords and North Rockies areas.

andrasusa3.jpg

All of the suggestions above are great choices and I would be happy to 'live' there :) remember we are 'billionares' in FS and quite possible to have more than one house :lol:

If I could make a suggestion that might be interesting is to make a whole "fake" island somewhere in the San Juan Islands. Or maybe take over Patos Island make something there. It is totally grown over with trees except for some houses on the western tip of the Island.

That San Juan area looks like a great choice, and as Fred and Matt suggest we can just make the land needed for the airport. Its a good central location like Hamiltion on the west coast. For the winter you can fly down to the Keys or the Bahamas, for the summer you could fly to New England, Niagra...etc. Even for farther destinations such as the west coast, a fast GA bird, or a warbird or a fast military craft will get you there in a reasonable amount of time :) And if this one is really popular too, perhaps then AS can look to the west. The folks on the Orbx board suggested that their Northern CA scenery is about a year out to be followed by Southern Rockies as well as Southern CA eventually after that. Anyway, looking foward to whatever is decided :) In the meantime you can just turn your PBY into a flying RV and just park it at wherever you want to live. :lol: Andras NZ or Austrialia would be a great place eventually too with FS having such a large fan base from that region.

Cheers

TJ

Im thinking the southeast, that would be a great addition to the simming expirience and I would definitley invest in it. Also, look into a mountain airpark. Mountain flying is one of the mmost fin aspects of ga in America and would be greatly appriciate. Possibly in KLXV?

Regards,

Matt

Agree with Matt... I would have no problem with a mountain community. Either the Rockies, or the Appalachians. I was in Boone, NC this weekend and the view was stunning with the turning fall leaves. I'm on board with any location and don't consider any of the suggestions "boring" (referring to a previous post).

I have one suggestion, though, and that would be to pick one and only one location until it's over capacity. Picking several locations would only water down the social experience that I think we're all looking for.

Any timeline on when a location will be chosen?

I'm on board with any location and don't consider any of the suggestions "boring" (referring to a previous post).

That would be me, so let me clarify. The point is to go somewhere that hasn't been covered six ways from Sunday and that offers variety. New England is often neglected and has everything to offer. Green Mountains in Vermont, White Mountains in New Hampshire, and the Appalachians end in Maine. Not to mention fall foliage, summer heat and some "wicked" :P winter weather. Proximity to Canada and metro areas...Boston, Montreal, etc. also a plus.

So give me location...

Mathijs,

From a business perspective if you were to do any project of an airpark in the US the one that i think will put aerosoft's sales through the roof is Spruce Creek (7FL6) its one of the more popular airparks in the US located in Florida about 7-10 miles from KDAB Daytona Beach Airport. Also there is another famous airpark where movie star John Travolta parks his famous B707-200 called Jumbolair located in Ocala, Florida (17FL). I am a huge fan of Spruce Creek and would pay 65 dollars or more for a plot there if you were to build it.

Spruce Creek Website:

www.7fl6.com

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spruce_Creek_Airport

Jumbolair Website:

www.jumbolair.com

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greystone_Airport

email me if you have any more questions about these airports at chris@virtual-aviaition.org

• 4 weeks later...

@ Mathijs,

I know this is something you don't particularly like to hear, but a lot of people have invested a bit of money on a competitors scenery products (I won't name them, but you know who I'm talking about). Someone else has mentioned their preferences and based them on a business point of view. I think it would make sound business sense to develop an "Andras field" for the USA somewhere near the Pacific Northwest region, or British Columbia. Not in it, that may cause problems, but near enough to it, so we can have our base there and go explore so to speak.

Why do I say it makes sound business sense? Because many people have already bought those regions of scenery, but have no base camp to fly from. Imagine all those customers, like me, wanting a base of operations. I seriously considered Andras, but all my scenery around it is default FSX. After flying in decent addon scenery, I don't really want to go back to default. For me to carry on buying scenery package after scenery package is not an option, especially as I don't fly much in Europe anyway. I prefer to fly in America, Canada, and Alaska.

I really like the concept of Andras Field, where an on-line community, or a group of friends, can meet up and go and fly together. A place where they have their own plots, and buildings. The concept is utterly brilliant. I have a group of friends and we pretty much fly together every day. I've spoken to one about this, and he, like me, really likes the idea but doesn't fly in Europe. Well we have, but haven't been there in ages. If you pick the right area for this project, I'm absolutely sure you can capture the imagination, and custom, of a lot of people who have invested in other packages. Plus all the other customers who already have Andras, but want a "holiday" home in the USA.

I'm following this thread with great interest, hoping.

I'd like to see it in California. We'll be setting up our North American Air Tractor facility there and would love to have it at another Andras Style Park. Columbia O22 is a great spot.